Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New A2OC member - looking for first A2 - HELP!

Thumbs up New A2OC member - looking for first A2 - HELP!

Hi all,

As the title says, I'm new here and looking to venture into A2 ownership. I need a run around that will be relatively cheap to run and insure but just don't see myself in the drab that is available in today's modern car market. I love the A2 and it's philosophy - a future collectable in my mind! Anyways I've been searching in the usual places for a while but can't seem to find 'the one'. There also seems to be large dispersion in prices from what I can see (e.g. 600 - 4k+).

Given I don't know the A2 market too well, it would be great to pick your brains and take your steer in terms of what to look for, what to avoid, etc. One of main priorities is hassle-free driving so I'd want to avoid that is likely to go wrong (e.g. FSI's vs. TDI?).

Anyway, here is a high level list of what I'm after:

Mileage not a huge concern but would prefer sub 100k.
    Low owners
    Colour - prefer dark blue, black.
    History - this is crucial. Needs to have been looked after properly.
    Mods - prefer an original car with no mods.
    SE spec
    Leaning towards TDI - prefer a later model.
    Not fussed about rear seat (i.e. bench and/or 2 seats are both OK).
    Bodywork in good condition.
    Cambelts and other known consumables done timely.

I don't mind something that might need a small amount of work to get it up to scratch.

I was just perusing the classified and came across this. I like the fact that it's low miles and colour and spec looks OK. What do you think about the 'lumpy' engine? Is that a known problem? Do these cars have a distributor cap? Or is it fuel system related?

Any advice much appreciated please!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...odel=A2&page=1

Looks like this has been a recurring issue in recent MOTs:

•Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.3)
    •Exhaust emissions hydrocarbon content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.3)
    •Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (7.3.D.3)

Does that point to anything?

At the other end of the spectrum - I really like the look of this.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ke=AUDI&page=4
    Last edited by shakter; 23-11-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shakter View Post
    Hi all,

As the title says, I'm new here and looking to venture into A2 ownership. I need a run around that will be relatively cheap to run and insure but just don't see myself in the drab that is available in today's modern car market. I love the A2 and it's philosophy - a future collectable in my mind! Anyways I've been searching in the usual places for a while but can't seem to find 'the one'. There also seems to be large dispersion in prices from what I can see (e.g. 600 - 4k+).

Given I don't know the A2 market too well, it would be great to pick your brains and take your steer in terms of what to look for, what to avoid, etc. One of main priorities is hassle-free driving so I'd want to avoid that is likely to go wrong (e.g. FSI's vs. TDI?).

Anyway, here is a high level list of what I'm after:

Mileage not a huge concern but would prefer sub 100k.
    Low owners
    Colour - prefer dark blue, black.
    History - this is crucial. Needs to have been looked after properly.
    Mods - prefer an original car with no mods.
    SE spec
    Leaning towards TDI - prefer a later model.
    Not fussed about rear seat (i.e. bench and/or 2 seats are both OK).
    Bodywork in good condition.
    Cambelts and other known consumables done timely.

I don't mind something that might need a small amount of work to get it up to scratch.

I was just perusing the classified and came across this. I like the fact that it's low miles and colour and spec looks OK. What do you think about the 'lumpy' engine? Is that a known problem? Do these cars have a distributor cap? Or is it fuel system related?

Any advice much appreciated please!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...odel=A2&page=1
    Hi Shakter and welcome
    I was in your position last year. From talking to a few people the general consensus seemed to be
    FSis are lovely when the engine is running nicely but the engine is complex and things go wrong which can be a ****** to identify and fix
    1.4 petrol - the lightest A2 with a well known VW/Audi engine, few faults and mechanics are used to them
    1.4 Tdi the 75 hp version is economical and feels faster then the numbers suggest. Is reliable and can be easily re mapped to 90+hp

Fastidious owners who maintain their A2s my have added mods - usually things like remaps for more power and economy and cruise control.
    I'm unsure about the first car - it's not so much the 'lumpy idle' but why hasn't it been fixed?

Okay, first of all a bit of friendly advice (which is what you were asking for after all).

• Given your location being "London" I would probably avoid a diesel one at this point, unless you do a lot of mileage outside of the M25.
    • Of the petrol engines, the 1.4 is probably a better "town" car, whereas the 1.6FSI is a very good engine when running correctly, but is notoriously difficult to keep in fine fettle being a much more complex design (plus needs running on Super Unleaded)
    • Unless you have a specific reason for wanting a rear bench seat I would avoid them. It loses most of the advantages of the individual rear seats of the 4-seater (weight and the seats can be handled by a single person, rather than at least two required to remove the rear bench).

As to the cars seen in the adverts you posted:
    • The first appears to have an aftermarket stereo fitted to it, which in itself isn't a problem, but looks wise it tends to be a pain as the never really fit correctly, and if you want the OEM look, which from your description you seem to want, it might be worth consideration. Given there is no photos of the dashboard, it might be worth investigating, but seems a bit cheap to be a keeper.
    • The second one looks okay, I would be asking for a bit more detail about the history.

As to pricing, it's a very tricky area with A2s at the moment, as you describe they are all over the place, and a lot appear to be falling into dealers' hands who notoriously are charging a small fortune for ones that are not really much use, plus there appears to be a lot of cars with dodgy engine management lights at the moment, either being disconnected or intentionally blown. With this in mind, make sure that when checking the car the EML should come on for a couple of seconds when started then immediately go off again. However, bear in mind that even if the EML is staying on it shouldn't be a show-stopper, as sometimes (especially on a FSI) as has been said by members on the forum "the EML is there to tell you you have an FSI".

Have a look at some of the cars in the For Sale section of the forum, although you need to be quick on these usually as they often go very quickly.

Best of luck!
    A2s
    1.4tdi Ebony Black w/Red Legends Leather, 202k miles, BOSE, RNS-E, ColourDIS (Baby Boomer)
    1.4tdi Mauritius Blue, OSS, BOSE, Black Sports Leather (Project X)
    1.6 FSI SE Ebony Black, BrokenSky (Dad's)

Scirocco Storm - Mk2 1.9 BRMotorSport, many upgrades, 23 yrs
    A6 Allroad - 3.0tdi - Leather, BOSE

Gone, but not forgotten:
    A2s: 2x1.6FSI, 2x1.4 (Po/ProjectY)
    A5 3.0tdi Coupe, 13xSciroccos, 3xCorrados inc mythical Campaign, 4xMk1 Golfs (3xN & 1xGLi Cabrio)

Looks like this has been a recurring issue in recent MOTs:

•Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.3)
    •Exhaust emissions hydrocarbon content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.3)
    •Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (7.3.D.3)

Does that point to anything?
    Might have been used on cheap supermarket fuel and on short runs.
    A good blast down the motorway helps enormously!
    Worked wonders on mine!

Also, if you view in the London area I'm happy to bring my laptop and VCDS and scan the car for you before purchase.

Cheers
    Ian
    1.4 petrol BBY Island Green A2 SE first registered 22 January 2003, currently at 92177 miles.
    RIP 1.4 petrol AUA engined Pine Green A2 SE, tragically taken at 89084 miles by an RBKC rubbish wagon

7. Users that liked this post:

budword (23-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Bargepower View Post
    Worked wonders on mine!

Also, if you view in the London area I'm happy to bring my laptop and VCDS and scan the car for you before purchase.

Cheers
    Ian
    Spot on Ian.

Adding some emissions additive and sone super fuel will help with the “Italian tuneup” as the blast down the motorway is known.

Steve B
    2003 FSI Sport in Violet Silver (LY4W), 85k miles, ex-Motorshow car 2002. Well specced, RNS-D, OSS (working) Red leather sport heated seats with 3 seat bench. Being restored to original spec

VCDS and Key programming service Including the new shaped key fobs, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

Thanks for the quick replies! I am a member of a few other forums for other marques and this place seems like a very friendly place (unlike others!).

I am indeed in London and most of my driving in 'my A2' will be relatively short runs of ~25 mile round trips (mostly stop/start traffic along the A2) and very short local trips to the supermarket (my current daily driver is a G Wagon - not ideal!).

I don't mind whether the car I end up with is petrol or TDI - condition and history is more important to me. I won't be adding many miles so fuel cost is not important. I'm talking ~1500 miles p.a. maximum.

As such it seems it's a toss up between the 1.4 petrol or tdi. Rear bench is not an issue whatsoever. 4 seat car is fine.

I would much prefer to buy from a member here, especially given you all seem to be so enthusiastic about your A2's! Will keep an eye on the classifieds here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bargepower View Post
    Worked wonders on mine!

Cheers
    Ian
    Thanks Ian that's very kind of you. I may indeed take you up on this if I find something in London!

Thanks for the quick replies! I am a member of a few other forums for other marques and this place seems like a very friendly place (unlike others!).

I am indeed in London and most of my driving in 'my A2' will be relatively short runs of ~25 mile round trips (mostly stop/start traffic along the A2) and very short local trips to the supermarket (my current daily driver is a G Wagon - not ideal!).

I don't mind whether the car I end up with is petrol or TDI - condition and history is more important to me. I won't be adding many miles so fuel cost is not important. I'm talking ~1500 miles p.a. maximum.

As such it seems it's a toss up between the 1.4 petrol or tdi. Rear bench is not an issue whatsoever. 4 seat car is fine.

I would much prefer to buy from a member here, especially given you all seem to be so enthusiastic about your A2's! Will keep an eye on the classifieds here.

Thanks
    Considering your above driving requirements I'd definitely recommend going for the petrol then. The TDi would not get a chance to warm up properly, and you'd probably end up with a troublesome turbo before too long.
    A2s
    1.4tdi Ebony Black w/Red Legends Leather, 202k miles, BOSE, RNS-E, ColourDIS (Baby Boomer)
    1.4tdi Mauritius Blue, OSS, BOSE, Black Sports Leather (Project X)
    1.6 FSI SE Ebony Black, BrokenSky (Dad's)

Scirocco Storm - Mk2 1.9 BRMotorSport, many upgrades, 23 yrs
    A6 Allroad - 3.0tdi - Leather, BOSE

Gone, but not forgotten:
    A2s: 2x1.6FSI, 2x1.4 (Po/ProjectY)
    A5 3.0tdi Coupe, 13xSciroccos, 3xCorrados inc mythical Campaign, 4xMk1 Golfs (3xN & 1xGLi Cabrio)

12. Users that liked this post:

sunsurfer (23-11-2017)