Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: New A2OC member - looking for first A2 - HELP!

More than likely! The tax and insurance has rolled over for another month so I'm going to get a quote from the local garage in the next couple of days, unless someone takes it before then!

Quote Originally Posted by TE01 View Post
    Barring a massive coincidence, that's my A2 mentioned above (thanks again for getting word out!)

Once I can post in the classifieds I'll put a full ad up, but in the meantime if anyone is interested just drop me a PM.
    I believe that you can post a for sale ad whenever you want. It is just that until you have posted a few threads the ad will get checked over by the moderators. So if you post it and ask for it to be checked and moved you should be ok.
    If you have problems with the prefix then try posting it in the general section.

Steve B
    2003 FSI Sport in Violet Silver (LY4W), 85k miles, ex-Motorshow car 2002. Well specced, RNS-D, OSS (working) Red leather sport heated seats with 3 seat bench. Being restored to original spec

VCDS and Key programming service Including the new shaped key fobs, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

Hi everyone

Really sorry for going AWOL i have had a totally manic few weeks in the office and have not checked into the forum. Apologies. I almost went to see the pine green car that i posted about a few weeks ago but, to be frank, didn't get a good 'vibe' from the seller. So i decided against going to see it as I wasn't comfortable buying from him.

Anyways - fast forward a few weeks and I'm going to see this one tomorrow. It ticks a few boxes for me - mainly being cheap, preferred wheels, and I really like the alcantara interior (i believe this is pretty rare!).

Downsides are - ding in front number (doesn't look so bad), very high miles, not sure is SE spec/DIS, etc? Plus - having spoken to the owner, the car has been 'looked after by my best friend who owns a garage' for the past few years. Basically I get the feeling there is not much documented history with the current owner (circa 3 years). I'm really hoping I can find evidence of things like cam belt and water pump in the history tomorrow.

Do you think i should steer away from this? Remember I'll be using the car as a bit of a workhorse so doesn't need to be pristine by any means (in fact i prefer a properly 'used' car so I won't be so precious about it myself!). I figured maybe the interior and wheels are worth the price if the worst happens and i need to ever sell/break the car?

Thoughts welcome!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...had=New&page=1

Thanks

4. Users that liked this post:

Jeff Sutcliffe (10-12-2017)

If it hasn't had the cambelt done then factor the cost of that on top of the price of the car. If in doubt get the cambelt and water pump changed. Have a look if there are other vehicles that have had the cambelt etc. done in your area for the price that you would pay for the advertised car plus cambelt change where you live (as prices vary from areas to area for garage charges). Taking into account the mileage (about the same as the one we have just bought) if the cambelt hasn't been changed then I would not leave it to chance without getting it done or looking for another car.
    A2 1.4 SE 2001 - Wife's car but maintained by me
    Daihatsu Copen - Wife's other car sick at the moment with possible turbo issue
    BMW 525 Msport Touring (remapped to 235 bhp) - My car to carry the dogs
    CBR600F

Gone but not forgotten

AC Cobra replica - 500BHP Chevy V8
    BMW 525 touring - BMW 530d Touring - BMW 735SE - BMW 735IL
    Honda Civic Type R - Audi TT Gen II - Rover 214 Convertable - Rover 416 GTI
    Mazda 929 Coupe - VW Scirocco 16V - Austin Allegro (First Car)
    Yamaha 750 Virago

Quote Originally Posted by Neil50 View Post
    If it hasn't had the cambelt done then factor the cost of that on top of the price of the car. If in doubt get the cambelt and water pump changed. Have a look if there are other vehicles that have had the cambelt etc. done in your area for the price that you would pay for the advertised car plus cambelt change where you live (as prices vary from areas to area for garage charges). Taking into account the mileage (about the same as the one we have just bought) if the cambelt hasn't been changed then I would not leave it to chance without getting it done or looking for another car.
    Thanks. What's an average (or range) price for cambelt and water pump change in London? Are there any other 'big' items that need addressing in these cars at this mileage that I need to look out for?

Quote Originally Posted by shakter View Post
    Thanks. What's an average (or range) price for cambelt and water pump change in London? Are there any other 'big' items that need addressing in these cars at this mileage that I need to look out for?
    I would expect 350 at an independent, but as it's London say 400. - Andy

The guy I use does it for around the 300 mark, Just based at Sunbury near Junction 1 of the M3, possibly too far for you, but worth the trip.

Steve B
    2003 FSI Sport in Violet Silver (LY4W), 85k miles, ex-Motorshow car 2002. Well specced, RNS-D, OSS (working) Red leather sport heated seats with 3 seat bench. Being restored to original spec

VCDS and Key programming service Including the new shaped key fobs, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

please keep us updated shakter on the outcome with this car. Remember to let the head rule and not the heart (easier to say than do, but buying with your heart can sometimes be very expensive).
    CBR600F

Gone but not forgotten

Yamaha 750 Virago

Hi all - didn't manage to get out yesterday as the weather was so bad. Plus I don't think I would've got much of an inspection done with the car covered in snow! Anyways I've been speaking to the seller. She seems honest enough but I still have a slight worry about the lack of history with the car. I've asked to see the service records so hopefully that will shed some light.

I really like the interior, wheels, pano roof, etc. But don't want to end up with a money pit so will tread carefully for now.

Will keep the thread updated as things progress!

Hi all - didn't manage to get out yesterday as the weather was so bad. Plus I don't think I would've got much of an inspection done with the car covered in snow! Anyways I've been speaking to the seller. She seems honest enough but I still have a slight worry about the lack of history with the car. I've asked to see the service records so hopefully that will shed some light.

I really like the interior, wheels, pano roof, etc. But don't want to end up with a money pit so will tread carefully for now.

Will keep the thread updated as things progress!
    Unfortunately, I can be very cynical and don't believe anyone when buying a car, the proof is in the documentation. We have recently got "Albus" and the seller seemed very genuine and said that she had had him for 7 years and it had been looked after by a mechanic friend of hers. She was either telling porkies or her friend had been ripping her off.

We bought it at risk as she had stated that there was no service history (although some parts had recently been replaced which she had invoices for) and I was prepared to do some work and service. However, the bottom engine cover was held on with a mixture of screes, fixings and cable ties. The oil filter was that loose that i took it off using only two fingers, the sump plug came off but only after pursuading it with a spanner and lump hammer, the exhaust heat sheild had a rounded nut on it, 2 of the 4 spark plug holes were full to the top of the spark plugs with oil.

All the above goes to show that, forever what reason, the car had not been looked after as implied.

The up side is that when i have finsihed all the servicing I know that it will be a good runner but it will have taken me time and money to get it to that state.
    CBR600F

Gone but not forgotten

Yamaha 750 Virago