Rattling coming from behind the driver side wheel?

roc-a-rhol

A2OC Donor
Wales
hello all

i noticed a metallic rattling yesterday which sounded a bit like a broken muffler. on closer inspection its coming from the front of the car, either behind the wheel or in the engine bay beneath the alternator belt area

ive enclosed a link of the noise - it sounds like stones being rattled in a bottle and should be distinguishable from the noisy standard diesel rattle: https://photos.app.goo.gl/JZHtCdQTPicqqyjS2

any help or assistance is greatly appreciated!

thanks
drew

Is the auxiliary belt running smoothly or is the tensioner bouncing around? Could be our old friend the alternator pulley?

Have you ruled out broken coil spring, rusted brake shield? Get the front of the car raised both sides, wheels off and grab the drive shafts to check there's no play.

Where is all the liquid coming from underneath and it looks to be running down on some components ?

It sounds like a broken mount on the engine, I don't mean that engine mounts themselves, I mean something like the alternator mounts or similar.

The best thing you can do to locate the source is to use a piece of wood, long and thin, use it as a stethoscope and touch one end on the engine near the noise and press your ear tightly to the other end.

Touch the wood against various places on the engine and you should then be able to pinpoint the source.

Steve B

Have you ruled out broken coil spring, rusted brake shield? Get the front of the car raised both sides, wheels off and grab the drive shafts to check there's no play.

the brake shield is rusty and looks ropey but not causing the noise. the coil is good so ill look to jack up both sides and give the drive shafts a wiggle. thanks.

It sounds like a broken mount on the engine, I don't mean that engine mounts themselves, I mean something like the alternator mounts or similar.

The best thing you can do to locate the source is to use a piece of wood, long and thin, use it as a stethoscope and touch one end on the engine near the noise and press your ear tightly to the other end.

Touch the wood against various places on the engine and you should then be able to pinpoint the source.

Steve B

thanks steve... this is looking the most likely culprit and the high tec 'poke it with a stick' method is unorthodox but genius! ill get out later and try that.

i took the undertray off for a better look and i think ive found the culprit.

the driveshaft shield - when held - stops the rattle.

IMG_20171125_145659.jpg

whilst searching for drive shaft shield on here i came across http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?33120-Drive-Shaft-Shield-Rattle-Repair-Modification which i think covers the same problem.

maybe someone with actual motoring knowledge can give an indication that this is the same thing?

thanks again

Last edited:
mine had the same issue, in fact both of my TDI A2 had this problem.
I could here mine when the car was moving slowly, when stationery with engine running it was quiet. It was actaully rubbing on the CV Joint boot and clip
need fixing if there is enough play in it to allow it to touch the CV Joint, and an easy fix, under an hour from start to finish

Cheers,

mine had the same issue, in fact both of my TDI A2 had this problem.
I could here mine when the car was moving slowly, when stationery with engine running it was quiet. It was actaully rubbing on the CV Joint boot and clip
need fixing if there is enough play in it to allow it to touch the CV Joint, and an easy fix, under an hour from start to finish

Cheers,

thats gives me hope. thanks paul :)

Back