Very little heat from the vents

craigyb

A2OC Donor
My A2 1.4 TDI has had temperature gauge issues for a while now, it never ever reaches 90 and recently the gauge only moves between 60 to 68. I checked with the Colour DIS and it says 68 max.

Yesterday the vents never got very warm at all, any of them, dash vents, footwells etc. I tried lots of temp settings and vent positions, but nothing worked.

I'm starting to think that the coolant temperature has an affect on the cabin not heating up.

Any help would be appreciated, I have VCDS of course.

The essential requirements are - the wobbly ratchet spanner, the adaptor for a socket and the 10mm socket (I recommend the Halfords one - it locks into the spanner) and KNUCKLES OF STEEL! I also found essential kit to be a magnetic pick up tool to manoeuvre the bottom bolt in and out. A very long ball end allan key was a boon too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinky - I've seen now where you're going wrong. You need the ratchet spanner (pref a 5º version) and a bit adapter plus a ground down 5mm allen bit. This will fit into the centre of the bolt holding the bottom of the thermostat housing a lot better than a socket will around the bolt. I'm guessing this is why those particular bolts have an allen key recess in them.

Hi mike - I reckon I need to see a picture of what you mean. A 5 degree version is presumably the ratchet angle - with you so far. When I put a bit adaptor on it I’m sure I couldn’t fit that into the space, even without the allan key - maybe I’ve just got a bulky bit adaptor? I had the ring spanner with ratchet, the ring to 1/4 inch bit, then the bit adaptor - was about two inches long!

Hi mike - I reckon I need to see a picture of what you mean. A 5 degree version is presumably the ratchet angle - with you so far. When I put a bit adaptor on it I’m sure I couldn’t fit that into the space, even without the allan key - maybe I’ve just got a bulky bit adaptor? I had the ring spanner with ratchet, the ring to 1/4 inch bit, then the bit adaptor - was about two inches long!

I'll get a photo of the tool shortly.

I used DJ190’s guide - very helpful. Although, I am finding that anytime someone quotes a time to complete a job - particularly if followed by the words ‘easy’ or a - I might as well quadruple it! Mechanical numpty indeed!

Thanks everyone, I did suspect the thermostat so it's due a service now and I will get that changed at the same time.

Craig

Here's the tool setup I use for thermostat housing changing:

IMG_7289.jpg

tstattool.jpg

As you can see it's just a normal ratchet spanner (but a 5º one for smaller movement), a bit adapter and a ground down 5mm allen bit. Works champion.

Thanks mike - I see what you mean now about the he ground down hex bit. That must have taken a wee while...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nah, not really. I have a bench grinder that comes in useful from time to time. This is now perfect for the job.

I wish I had a bench! I have a bit of wood balanced on two bikes that I footle on in the shed.

Back