Better bass with BOSE?

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
Is there a way to improve the amount of bass with the BOSE setup?

Although the quality is better the bass isnt. I've currently got the treble all the way down and the bass all the way up on the equalizer but it's just not as bassey as the standard speakers in my last car.

Any advice?

Hmmm, interesting issue there. The BOSE in the A2 isn't meant to be a BASSHEAD type speaker. The design is such that it gives a flat bass, with lots of roll-off, not a punchy bass as it is a small diameter "tube" bass which relies on length of the tube to provide the deepness rather than the pressure of bigger bass speakers. I would say that you would never get MORE bass with the BOSE setup, but what you do get is a much wider range.

Without hearing it, I wouldn't be able to say for certain, but are you getting ANYTHING from the bass speaker at all? Have you disconnected the door speakers entirely and just run it without?

Of course, it could be the source material you are playing, again without a side-by-side comparison it's very hard to say.

IT sounds like a fault with your BOSE, the BASS should be at the very least equal to standard or better.

But remember the main bass comes from the rear of the car and not from the speakers (but they should be bassy too!.

It really does sound like you have a problem.

Also remember that you FEEL BASS rather than hear it.

Have a feel of the BASS box in the battery tray, you should feel the vibes there.

As for the quality of the sound, the biggest problem is that the standard system is pretty damn good and so at the lower volumes the difference is not HUGE. But turn up the volume on the right tracks and the BOSE comes into its own.

Steve B

Yes, the subwoofer in the boot is working. I'm just comparing it to the standard speakers that were in my last TDI. The music is much crisper with the BOSE but the bass just isn't as good.

I vaguely remember there being emntion of a pin that could be physically removed from the headunit to increase the bass output but I can't find the post using google.

Yes, the subwoofer in the boot is working. I'm just comparing it to the standard speakers that were in my last TDI. The music is much crisper with the BOSE but the bass just isn't as good.

I vaguely remember there being emntion of a pin that could be physically removed from the headunit to increase the bass output but I can't find the post using google.

If your system displays "BOSE" when you switch it on then the "BOSE Pin" has already been connected.

Are they definitely BOSE Speakers?

The BOSE will NOT be less bass than standard, it may come more as vibes through the air and body but never less bass than standard.

The standard system doesn't have the extra bass box and so more MIGHT come from the speakers but it should not be less overall.

Steve B

Yes, it displays BOSE when switched on. All apeakers are BOSE, well except for the Red Blaupunkt tweeters but that is the format that came with the BOSE.

Yes, it displays BOSE when switched on. All apeakers are BOSE, well except for the Red Blaupunkt tweeters but that is the format that came with the BOSE.

If all speakers are working as they should, I think you'll find it's subjective rather than an actual issue, the only real way to tell is with a side by side comparison listening to the same music. One thing I do notice with BOSE is that if you have the doors open or even OpenSky open it loses most of the sound quality to the outside air. However, I think I know what you mean, as the stereo in Project Y was pretty good on standard speakers, especially on low volume, but as Steve B says when the volume is up you will know the difference. I have a "test disc" which I use to try out different speaker setups, which I know how each track "should" sound, and it's amazing the different between different, seemingly similar setups. I know the BOSE system gives so much more range to the music, it might not be a lot deeper in the bass department, but with the right tracks it gives a whole extra octave of sound.

Well if my question was actually answered :confused: i might have been able to offer my experienced advice on music, sound quality, etc etc!

When I want to hear the best from the BOSE I normally put really good quality classical music on, the "ting" from the triangle, the clear sound of the strings and the beat of the kettle drums sound superb (not that I am into classical music at all, but it is great to test the BOSE).

Steve B

Sorry Mark. I listen to all varieties of music, some via radio some via cd but its mainly dance music or rock.

Steve B touched on it so did Scirocco, the sound coming out of your Bose will only be as good as the material you feed it. To me the quality of the A2 Bose set up is very good in that it doesn't add anything to the music or take away, it runs very clean and true to the record material with plenty of punch and extension and plays at high pressure levels without any distortion. CD is best for quality in the car, to some it may seam light in bass because of the way the original material was recorded . All recordings are not equal which is poor given they're produced by some huge recording labels out there.

Generally dance has what i would call plenty of low frequencies laid down when it was recorded but there are some dance tracks that go very low in the bass registers, you just need to offer your system those low registers. Ive just been listening to Luther Vandross in the dream machine today on a trip to Stains and back, "The Ultimate Luther Vandross" 2006 and there's plenty of low down punch/bass and certain tracks within this album which are coming out and surprising you at the authority at which it delivers, N09 being a good one. The album "Touch" by Yellow track 13 for reference should give plenty of bass.

I and some people suffer with partially blocked up inner ear tubes. I just hold my nose and and mouth shut and pressurise your eardrums carefully to unblock the tubes, you will be surprised how much better the sound can be. It's like re pressurising your ears when you've landed after a flight. Hope that helps Steve.

Last edited:
I think I will just put ear plugs in so that the trebble doesn't deafen me and then crank up the volume to get the bass I require :)

I think I will just put ear plugs in so that the trebble doesn't deafen me and then crank up the volume to get the bass I require :)

My Bose appeared to suffer from lack of Bass and I was worried about there being a possible fault.

But it was just the music I was playing, I had downloaded a lot of music onto the SD card and it must have been the way it was setup before I downloaded it.

I put some different music on and BOOM (Literally) I had more than enough bass.

Steve B

Maybe an underseat bass box added in to supplement if you like to be vibrated quite so much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Music choice makes a huge difference. I had some early 00's dance on tonight on the commute home and found a new found love for the BOSE system. A huge improvement over the standard system.

Glad to hear it was just your appalling taste in music ;) Only joking :)

Back