Webasto Pinout

I have my best guess for the pinouts on a Webasto but I haven’t tested it yet. Will that do?

They are at home so I don’t have the numbers to hand - I can get them.

The two pin connector is live 12v and earth. The six pin has the on/off signal (12v start up- no12v shut down) and a diagnostic wire as well as the power/signal to the fuel pump.

I think 6 is the fuel pump and yellow wire (4 maybe) is the diagnostic with the other wire as on/off.

Best guess - hope to rest in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this what you need

Cheers Spike

Attachments

• A2webasto.JPG
    A2webasto.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 2,210
That picture means literally nothing to me but I’m glad Spike could help.

Webasto does provide a free software package which you can connect an OBD cable to the Webasto with (not sure if it works through the car’s OBD port or if you need to connect it directly - I’m still to give it a go).
It’s called Webasto Thermo Test. If you go onto the Disco3 forum there’s loads on there. And Paul Simon on YouTube. You can monitor and change settings from the look of it and check error codes. I’m planning on having a go in the next couple of weeks once I get an OBD socket to play with.

Is this what you need

Cheers Spike

I’ve worked it out I think. My goodness - that was like trying to decipher hieroglyphics!

I was close - just got the number on the pin wrong - 3vs4 - and forgot the stripe colour. Close!

So, the first number is the connector type and the Pin number it connects the wire to, next is the wire thickness and the colour(s).

So apparently for diagnostics you need power from the 2 pin plug - 12v plus (T2l pin 1 - red/yellow) and Earth (T2l pin 2 - brown) and the diagnostic wire from the 6 pin plug (T6h pin 2 - the grey and white wire).

Now I just need to know where to plug the wires into the diagnostic OBD cable and we’re there!

I’ve installed the test software and my Vagcom cable arrived today. Getting there!

May have found the problem the webasto thinks the engine temp is 95c when cold, engine temp in VCDS 12.5c so does the webasto have it's own internal sensor or does it use another ?

May have found the problem the webasto thinks the engine temp is 95c when cold, engine temp in VCDS 12.5c so does the webasto have it's own internal sensor or does it use another ?

Don't forget the temperature sender has two circuits, one that feeds the ECU with information and one that feeds the gauge.

It sounds like it could be worth replacing your temperature sender?

If that is the cause then I would have expected you to have cold starting problems.

Steve B

Hi bud.

Are you using the Thermo Test software? How did you connect? OBD socket or direct to the pins?

Don't forget the temperature sender has two circuits, one that feeds the ECU with information and one that feeds the gauge.

It sounds like it could be worth replacing your temperature sender?

If that is the cause then I would have expected you to have cold starting problems.

Steve B

cold starting is good, only the occasional fail to go first time, temp gauge reads as it should as far as i can tell. No faults show up for temp senders on a scan.

Hi Steve,

The Webasto has it's own thermister built into the controller on the heater itself. This regulates the temperature of the Webasto heater so it doesn't overheat and cause a fire.
I'm sure we've spoken before and you removed and repaired the unit yourself, so you'll know the effort required to pull the Webasto out of your car.

The Webasto controller sounds like it's in need of repair or replacement.
If you go the replacement route, make sure you buy a Webasto with the A2 part number, because even though other Thermotop's look identical, their controllers will not communicate with the car, so won't start.

Cheers
Jeff

I am told the OE Webasto in the A2 will only communicate with the ECU in the Audi to start. I’m still hoping to get around this somehow but if not then I shall have a couple of spare A2 Webastos if you find yourself in need. Just an FYI at this stage.

Well i have swoped the control panel in the webasto for another, still not starting, webasto now says the temp is 125 c when the car has been running 10mins, temp gauge has hardly moved. The temp sensor in the webasto is on the printed circuit and is held against the webasto body by a spring clip. Does anyone know the log in code for the webasto when you use vcds ?

Hi Steve. Sorry this isn’t going well. I’ve recently been trying to get the Webasto Thermotest software to speak to the A2 Webasto but no luck as yet. I’ll hopefully post once I manage it. Currently think it’s a com/usb communication issue so I’m sourcing an XP with a com port to try that.

Back