Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Piston slap and Cobalt Dream Machine, it' not good!

Unhappy Piston slap and Cobalt Dream Machine, it' not good!

I don't know where to start really except to say our car has piston slap and drinks a lot of oil and has done since buying it. In 12k miles she's drunk 4 and a half litres of oil. I'm gutted really and don't know what to do with the car? The noise concerned has been there since we bought her but it was so small that i just put it down to a worn top end hence why i've been looking for a cheap head and considering a top end rebuild lately thinking the valve guides are the reason she uses so much oil.

If you've read my thread on the car "Cobalt Dream Machine" she ran out of oil on the way home after buying and has drunk it ever since although i've been keeping that quiet telling only a couple people on here. I was hoping it would go away but looking back now the mot test a few months back was telling as it really struggled to get a pass. It's been diagnosed by Rob of Wom Automotive at the A2 meal in Birmingham the other week and the the mechanic who did our cam belt change today, who's a time served Vag tech master technician. I didn't expect this to be the case but sadly it has been confirmed.

Sorry to read this Mark. I know how much you love this car and that you have significantly lavished time and effort to improve it over the past few months. I hope it can be rescued cost effectively.
    Now:
    1.6 FSI SE [2004] - Cobalt Blue

Open-sky system, climate control, heated platinum leather sports seats, unique professionally tailored sports steering wheel, all-round electric windows, cruise control, full DIS, komfortblinker, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, /S-line gear lever, TT pedals, front stowage tray, rear cup holder centre console, heated mirrors, HIDs, LEDs, OEM mud-flaps, collapsible spare wheel & retro-fitted mounting bracket, ScanGauge, 17" BBS multi-spoke alloy wheels (Summer), refurbished OEM SE 16" 6 spoke alloy wheels (Winter).

Was:
    1.4 TDI [75] 'Special Edition' [2005] - Akoya Silver

1.4 Petrol 'Special Edition' [2004] - Silver
    [Mrs C's]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES-JVFNwFV4

3. Users that liked this post:

Vorsprung durch Technik (29-11-2017)

Without a doubt replace the engine. I'd use the 100 bhp unit from the polo.
    Steve
    0779zero965448

Lots of parts/spares for sale - please click the link

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread...equest-A2Steve

2004 TDi 140 SE - Ipanema brown full respray, turbo technics hybrid turbo, darkside developments custom cam, powerflow 2.5 inch stainless exhaust, drilled/grooved discs front and back, yellowstuff pads, H&R front and rear anti-roll bars, 18 inch Audi R8 alloys, opensky, BOSE, cruise and sports interior.

5. 3 users that liked this post:

Al2coholic (04-12-2017), sunsurfer (28-11-2017), Vorsprung durch Technik (29-11-2017)

It is annoying and expensive but after all the work you've done on your dream machine you could now fit a shiny new engine - or even a used or reconditioned one?
    One it is sorted I think you will feel happy about it. I think we all will be facing this at some point - I'm on 156,000 miles (Tdi 75hp) and I suspect at some point engine and/or gearbox will demand replacement.

7. Users that liked this post:

Yes its sad reading but i think its well worth a rebuild or engine change. Good luck mark
    Daily driver-2005 Akoya silver TDI Special Edition-----------------show car yellow colour storm TDI modified.
    next social will be 16th September-EVENING MEAL IN BIRMINGHAM 18TH NOVEMBER . pm me ideas for consideration please

A2OC Has a Facebook page ----https://www.facebook.com/groups/AudiA2Owners/

INSTAGRAM---TAG "A2oc" or Follow me ---- a2sumo

ALL A2'S ARE WELCOME AT CAR SHOWS/SOCIALS SO COME JOIN THE FUN

i will now have with me at socials the club decals and key rings please just ask--NOW SELLING MOTOR NEURONE DISEASE SUPPORT BANDS-SHOW YOUR SUPPORT AND HELP MEDICAL PROGRESS-ON BEHALF OF TOURANGANG(JOHN)

9. 2 users that liked this post:

Special edition (28-11-2017), Vorsprung durch Technik (29-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by sunsurfer View Post
    It is annoying and expensive but after all the work you've done on your dream machine you could now fit a shiny new engine - or even a used or reconditioned one?
    One it is sorted I think you will feel happy about it. I think we all will be facing this at some point - I'm on 156,000 miles (Tdi 75hp) and I suspect at some point engine and/or gearbox will demand replacement.
    If you change the oil regularly and use the correct oil you are unlikely to need to do anything on the TDI engine for at least double the miles that yours as done so far. As for the gearbox, I suggest changing the oil every 100,000 miles and that to should last the 300,000 miles with ease. I personally have a TDI (AMF Engine) with 288,200 miles on it. The clutch was replaced (first time) at 272K and the engine and box have never been touched other than water pump/timing belt/tensions every 5 years. Honestly it drives no differently from a car with 1/3 of the miles on it. The CV joints were replaced last year all 4 for 58 delivered and 1/2 a days spanner work, owe and one front and one rear wheel bearing.

Worry not about miles on the TDI's
    Cheers,
    Paul (Depronman)
    1.4 TDI 2001 287,347 miles and still going strong

11. 3 users that liked this post:

E T Oddie (30-11-2017), Evoman (29-11-2017), sunsurfer (29-11-2017)

Thanks for the well wishes chaps, nothings imminent but i do need to look at what's possible and weigh up the costs. Just a thought, ours is a 1.4 petrol sport so what would be involved in converting it to a 1.6 fsi?

I can see i'd need an ecu,complete engine/gearbox ,engine wiring loom, springs shocks, rear caliper conversion and exhaust.

Would these parts be the same?

Front struts (just different inserts, ie shocks ) and springs
    Anti roll bar
    drop links
    top mounts
    front brakes
    internal wiring loom

Really sorry to hear that Mark, I had no idea otherwise it would not of been sold. I could of donated lots of parts from my breaker FSi but unfortunately it has now gone. I will keep a look out for any conversion parts or a cheap 1.4 engine with provenance.

14. 2 users that liked this post:

Jeffers66 (29-11-2017), Vorsprung durch Technik (29-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
    Thanks for the well wishes chaps, nothings imminent but i do need to look at what's possible and weigh up the costs. Just a thought, ours is a 1.4 petrol sport so what would be involved in converting it to a 1.6 fsi?

I can see i'd need an ecu,complete engine/gearbox ,engine wiring loom, springs shocks, rear caliper conversion and exhaust.

Anti roll bar
    drop links
    top mounts
    front brakes
    internal wiring loom
    Anti roll, drop links, top mounts, front brakes are all the same. If doing a 1.6 conversion use the polo 1.6 16v engine from the GTI. Quite straightforward apparently, more reliable and a lot more power.

16. Users that liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post

Anti roll bar
    drop links
    top mounts
    front brakes
    internal wiring loom
    LOL - Don't let Tom see you saying this ...

Seriously, unless you need the extra power I wouldn't bother, the FSI's are great engines when running properly, but unless you're handy with a spanner and have expertise in the FSIs they can be very draining on the wallet. The 1.4 petrol is great little engine, albeit rather wheezy on a run.

I agree with most sentiments above, it would be a real shame to give up on your car, especially now you've spent so much time on it.

Have a look at Project X as an example of how poorly engined cars can be brought back from the dead, and made great again. Wifey is very happy with this motor, and I occasionally look jealously on her heated washers, and OSS.
    A2s
    1.4tdi Ebony Black w/Red Legends Leather, 202k miles, BOSE, RNS-E, ColourDIS (Baby Boomer)
    1.4tdi Mauritius Blue, OSS, BOSE, Black Sports Leather (Project X)
    1.6 FSI SE Ebony Black, BrokenSky (Dad's)

Scirocco Storm - Mk2 1.9 BRMotorSport, many upgrades, 23 yrs
    A6 Allroad - 3.0tdi - Leather, BOSE

Gone, but not forgotten:
    A2s: 2x1.6FSI, 2x1.4 (Po/ProjectY)
    A5 3.0tdi Coupe, 13xSciroccos, 3xCorrados inc mythical Campaign, 4xMk1 Golfs (3xN & 1xGLi Cabrio)

18. 2 users that liked this post:

Al2coholic (04-12-2017), Vorsprung durch Technik (29-11-2017)