Small lesson learnt the hard way. Cubby removal and broken Ash Tray

Sootywg

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Having reinstated an OEM Concert 2 head unit it and checked it was working as designed, it was time to install the XCarLink.
Having removed the cubby before I knew it was tight but the technique was well documented, so in with both hands, wiggle and pull out hard! Out it came.....
I thought over the last couple of years I had read most threads relating to dash removal but somehow I had missed the statement, "Open the Ash Tray before pulling the cubby out"

I think I must have been lucky in the past and had the Ash Tray open by chance. The cause is that the cubby has a trim strip on the lower edge that covers the retaining screws of the Ash Tray. When pulling out the cubby this trim forces the Ash Tray open breaking the closing mechanism internally

I now have an Ash Tray that will not stay closed. Some of you may be laughing as this is a well known problems to you. For others yet to undertake the cubby removal this is fair warning.

I am wondering whether the broken part in the mechanism is a candidate for 3D printing and whether Depronman has considered it?

If I can source a working replacement I will see if the old one can be dismantled and the broken part identified. It is not obvious how it comes apart.

I suspect many on sale could well be broken as to get at the retaining screws you either take out the cubby or break off the trim strip that covers the screws bit of a catch 22 if you don' know beforehand.

If I have stopped one of the newer members from what might be a rookie mistake and saved another Ash Tray it might have been worth making this post!

Odd thing is I have never used the Ash Tray it is just the annoyance of something not working as it should.

Geoff

Last edited:
There is a little plastic pin that locates in the closing mechanism. You have probably broken that off. I drilled mine and put a tiny bit of copper wire in to repair, with araldite. The ashtray just pulled out of g housing with a bit of force. You need to detach that horrible spring too.

I have repaired a couple of these using a panel pin chopped down to about 7mm and set with Gorilla glue. Once you have it sorted out in your head how the spring works it's quite easy (not so easy if the spring was detached before you start!). Also, separating the sliding tray from the holder is not difficult once you have worked out how - it just needs a bit of gentle persuasion!
I think I have a spare working one if anyone needs one and wants to make an offer.

Thanks to all who have responded including A2Steve who found me a replacement.
I have been able to fix (rather than repair) the Ashtray.
It turns out that rather than being a plastic pin that had broken off, it is a steel pin that was yanked out if its plastic socket. Suprisingly the socket seemed undamaged.

I found the pin on the passenger footwell carpet, given that it is only about 8mm long and 1.5mm dia. (blued spring steel on a Soul black carpet). I was pleasantly surprised
The pin is still a good tight fit in it's socket so no need for Araldite at this stage. IMG_20171201_104508.jpgIMG_20171201_104457.jpg.

Others have refered to a plastic pin so perhaps later manufacture was changed.

The viscous spring becomes easily tamed when you have done it a couple of times. The technique seems to be to release the tension with one finger on the coiled (barrel like) part of the spring whilst lifting it onto it's latch with the other hand. It is still very sharp and you will probably get cuts.

Geoff

Yes, you could be right about the metal/plastic pin. On one of mine the pin was intact but it had broken the moulding that holds it - that's what I glued.

Back