Scrapage offers

a2sumo

A2OC Donor
Now most dealers are offering scrapage deals it often involving an oldish car up on ramps and a big sign. Well stansted Audi have joined in but .......I think you know what’s coming. Yes they have an a2 to advertise their scrapage deal- horrific. Be strong people

Now most dealers are offering scrapage deals it often involving an oldish car up on ramps and a big sign. Well stansted Audi have joined in but .......I think you know what’s coming. Yes they have an a2 to advertise their scrapage deal- horrific. Be strong people

Testament to how strong the old Toyotas must be, they have a Renault Clio on my local dealers stand,

Testament to how strong the old Toyotas must be, they have a Renault Clio on my local dealers stand,

I would think its more so that its counter productive to advertise their own vehicles perched up high on a stand as 'scrap' its the wrong image, unlike what Audi have done as Mike says.

Sarge

Just to clarify, are these 2017 scrappage deals really giving anybody anything they couldn't get with a bit of bargaining? I know the scrappage deal underwritten by the government in 2009 was real - some lovely classics were scrapped by people who wanted £2000 off a new Micra :eek:
The 2017 'deals' I suspect are just a marketing tool due to a near 10% drop in the purchase of new cars.

Just to clarify, are these 2017 scrappage deals really giving anybody anything they couldn't get with a bit of bargaining? I know the scrappage deal underwritten by the government in 2009 was real - some lovely classics were scrapped by people who wanted £2000 off a new Micra :eek:
The 2017 'deals' I suspect are just a marketing tool due to a near 10% drop in the purchase of new cars.

True and there is no requirement to crush the cars that are scrapped either.

Is anyone aware of the scrappage schemes being available on new diesel cars? It'd be more than a little ironic if dealers were giving you a couple of grand for an old diesel car against a new diesel, at a time when the government are trying to steer buyers away from this 'dirty' fuel.

Not in the market at the moment, so not been looking into the deals, but I know that nobody is getting hold of my little A2.

Is anyone aware of the scrappage schemes being available on new diesel cars? It'd be more than a little ironic if dealers were giving you a couple of grand for an old diesel car against a new diesel, at a time when the government are trying to steer buyers away from this 'dirty' fuel.

Not in the market at the moment, so not been looking into the deals, but I know that nobody is getting hold of my little A2.
My local Peugeot dealer is offering £6.5 grand against a new car and 7 grand against a new van, Id almost guarantee those new vans will be diesel lol!

So in actual fact, the current scrappage scheme is more about increasing sales in general, rather than pushing people away from diesel transport? Yes, older diesel cars will be removed from the roads I suppose, but I suspect that this is only a side-effect and not the main aim.

My local dealer has an old Audi 80 outside the dealership which looks quite tidy, although they've used spray paint to make it look unloved and tatty.

Not actually interested in buying a French car, but interesting to see that in several cases, they're offering MORE scrappage allowance against a diesel engine for the same model car (the 308, 308SW and 3008 mustn't be selling well with diesel engines). Madness.

So in actual fact, the current scrappage scheme is more about increasing sales in general, rather than pushing people away from diesel transport? Yes, older diesel cars will be removed from the roads I suppose, but I suspect that this is only a side-effect and not the main aim.

My local dealer has an old Audi 80 outside the dealership which looks quite tidy, although they've used spray paint to make it look unloved and tatty.

This makes no sense to me. Why would you buy a new car that will be liable for increased VED just because it has a combustion engine? The only way around this is to buy an EV or hybrid.

This makes no sense to me. Why would you buy a new car that will be liable for increased VED just because it has a combustion engine? The only way around this is to buy an EV or hybrid.

I agree entirely - which is why my last car was the A3 e-tron, which the government gave me £5k to help to buy!! I didn't have to chip in an old car either. Call me cynical, but this scheme is only to increase the ever faster falling sales numbers.

I agree entirely - which is why my last car was the A3 e-tron, which the government gave me £5k to help to buy!! I didn't have to chip in an old car either. Call me cynical, but this scheme is only to increase the ever faster falling sales numbers.

And to increase VED income

Unfortunately this makes me think of 1950s America, where the BIG 3 decided to go for "built in obsolescence" on their ranges, which meant that people were forced to buy a brand new car every three years as a) to keep up with the Jones' and b) their car had just fallen to bits.

I have 4 cars in the household at the moment, one of which is in excellent condition after 33 years, two are in great condition after 13-14 years service (and over 330,000 miles between them) and the most complicated on is now 7 years old with nearly 200k miles. I won't be chopping any of them in any time, ever. Perhaps I am lucky in that I have found 4 cars that are not really money pits (touch wood), but I find these schemes to be extremely short-sighted in terms of total cost of ownership.

One comment earlier on a different thread read something like "I'd chop mine in for £7k any day", but made no sense to me as you'd have to buy a £30k+ car to get that kind of money, then lose that £7k virtually as you soon as you drove it off the forecourt. Maybe it's my age and upbringing, but I am pretty averse to the idea of not actually owning cars (PCP schemes etc), but again this seems to be the way that the car market is going these days. They are disposable items that you rent for a few years, then throw away and forget about whilst you move onto the next new thing.

Personally, I have never once bought a brand new car (my wife did once buy one, but it was a cheap Seat Arosa, so not a lot of money to lose over the 4 years she had it). Again, this is very subjective and my own personal choice/tastes. Everybody's different.

You've basically hit the nail on the head Jeremy with the mention of the total cost of ownership - these schemes are not to benefit the purchaser in the vast majority of cases, but to benefit the manufacturers.

Yes, there may be the odd buyer who was going to buy a car anyway and wanted to trade-in something worth a couple of hundred quid, and in this situation, it's a genuine benefit for that buyer. However, these sort are few and far between.

I think the next schemes we'll see will be manufacturers offering scrappage of pure internal combustion engine cars against EVs as they become more commonplace in model line-ups. I can certainly see Audi offering money to push their forthcoming EVs, but only because they'll be overpriced in the first place. It's interesting to me to see that Tesla have never offered scrappage - their cars tend to sell themselves without the need for pushy sales tactics or flashy showrooms.

Back