Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDi Battery recommendation

TDi Battery recommendation

Hi all,

Would anyone be able to recommend a battery for my 75 TDi please? It's struggling a little on the very cold mornings and I'm not sure how old it is so perhaps best to get a new one as I rely on my car for 20-25k a year! I had thought of looking at Halfords but I imagine they're not the cheapest or the best? Happy to be corrected though.

Cheers,

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Muska View Post
    Hi all,

Would anyone be able to recommend a battery for my 75 TDi please? It's struggling a little on the very cold mornings and I'm not sure how old it is so perhaps best to get a new one as I rely on my car for 20-25k a year! I had thought of looking at Halfords but I imagine they're not the cheapest or the best? Happy to be corrected though.

Cheers,

Matt.
    The last one I bought was from EuroCarParts, they were doing one of their usual "DFS" style sale codes online (30% off or something like that). Given the above, I would go for one of the ones from the upper end of the market, as some of the cheaper ones I have found to be very nearly dead on arrival.
    A2s
    1.4tdi Ebony Black w/Red Legends Leather, 202k miles, BOSE, RNS-E, ColourDIS (Baby Boomer)
    1.4tdi Mauritius Blue, OSS, BOSE, Black Sports Leather (Project X)
    1.6 FSI SE Ebony Black, BrokenSky (Dad's)

Scirocco Storm - Mk2 1.9 BRMotorSport, many upgrades, 23 yrs
    A6 Allroad - 3.0tdi - Leather, BOSE

Gone, but not forgotten:
    A2s: 2x1.6FSI, 2x1.4 (Po/ProjectY)
    A5 3.0tdi Coupe, 13xSciroccos, 3xCorrados inc mythical Campaign, 4xMk1 Golfs (3xN & 1xGLi Cabrio)

3. Users that liked this post:

Muska (30-11-2017)

This is a widely used battery by A2OC members:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/E38-Varta-Si...100-P3197.html

Also, you can fit the uprated type 110 version too, I have, and it cranks brilliantly:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/F18-Varta-Si...ery-P7709.html

Good service from Tayna too - normally next day delivery.
    WAS : TDI 75 SE 2001 (Little Tank)
    NOW : TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, Winter Pack, ISOfix, fogs, climate, full electric glass, RNS-E, IceLink, Audi BT phone & Mk2 TT seats! Morimoto HID, Pentagon Supaglass, black headlining, cruise & Audi PDC, GALA, S-style mirrors & TT road and steering wheels.(The NEW Tank).

5. 4 users that liked this post:

Allan S (03-12-2017), cheechy (05-12-2017), Muska (30-11-2017), Special edition (30-11-2017)

Thanks for the replies both, I've ordered the uprated one from your link Skipton01

Have this one in both my cars; testwinner

https://www.amazon.de/Banner-Power-P.../dp/B017CVVFLC

Edit; testwinner for the third time - in Swedish but you can use google translate. Best part with Banner is that it just takes 8 min to recharge the energy used to crank engine. Varta uses 20 minutes or so. Also TDI has Webasto or eletric heater (ATL) that drains the battery a lot.

https://www.test.se/bilbatterier/
    Last edited by Olerype; 02-12-2017 at 06:55 PM.

8. Users that liked this post:

Muska (02-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Muska View Post
    Thanks for the replies both, I've ordered the uprated one from your link Skipton01
    Excellent! Not that I'm linked to Tayna in any way, but when I find a good supplier, I like to champion them to others. You should be well pleased with the battery - can't really go wrong with a Varta Silver, basically the same as OE, but from a range above (the OE battery was/is basically a Varta Black series, which is a step down from the Silver series).
    WAS : TDI 75 SE 2001 (Little Tank)
    NOW : TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, Winter Pack, ISOfix, fogs, climate, full electric glass, RNS-E, IceLink, Audi BT phone & Mk2 TT seats! Morimoto HID, Pentagon Supaglass, black headlining, cruise & Audi PDC, GALA, S-style mirrors & TT road and steering wheels.(The NEW Tank).

10. 2 users that liked this post:

Muska (02-12-2017), Vorsprung durch Technik (02-12-2017)

I fitted a Yuasa silver battery from Halfords, my TDi cranks over really fast and I certainly recommend this battery.

I think the Yuasa range is also available from other retailers too.

Sarge

I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any help that I can give to my fellow beings; let me do it now; for I shall not pass this way again.

I owned 22 A2's, currently have 4x 1.4 Petrol's, 2x 1.6FSi and 3x 1.4TDi ....so well versed!

**** HOW I REBUILT MY A2 (SHOBY CAR) CLICK HERE ****

**** General A2 Servicing Information click here ****

MORE 'HOW TO's click here

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CLICK HERE - AUDI A2 CAR PARTS AVAILABLE....... HUNDREDS AVAILABLE....... CLICK HERE <<<<<<

Services Offered:
    Key Programming, Scan reports, fault code scanning, RNS-E Pin CODE, GENERAL REPAIRS, FULL SERVICING .....Much More! taking care of your pride & joy! .

12. 2 users that liked this post:

Muska (02-12-2017), Special edition (02-12-2017)

I'm not connected to anyone, only connected to 30 plus years of motoring and being very interested to the point of buying many hundreds of mags over the years. I'm with Skipton here on the battery front, Varta are great batteries, been fitting them to our cars now for about 8 years as and when replacements are needed. I was told about 10 years ago that the emergency services fit Varta batteries so if it's good enough for them in the most remotest of places where life and death are at stake it's good enough for me.

14. Users that liked this post:

Muska (02-12-2017)

Here is what I fitted last winter when my 12 year old battery started to struggle

Advanced/PowerPlus "AGM 110" 12v 85Ah 800 CCA(SAE)
    manufactured by Varta
    https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.u...-technology-2/

I went for the absorbent glass mat (AGM) technology in the hope that one day, a talented person comes up with a suitable stop-start solution for the A2. This battery is, I think, the equivalent of the Varta F21. I know that is overspecced for our cars but it was cheaper than a Varta F18.

As I live a couple of miles from Stockport I collected mine and paid a bit less

Andrew

1.4 TDI 90bhp (ATL) SE '54 plate, OpenSky #2

Would cleaning up all earth points before fitting a new battery help prevent battery drain ?

My A2 is a 2001 tdi with original battery but it keeps draining so I think its done.