TDi Battery recommendation

Muska

A2OC Donor
Hi all,

Would anyone be able to recommend a battery for my 75 TDi please? It's struggling a little on the very cold mornings and I'm not sure how old it is so perhaps best to get a new one as I rely on my car for 20-25k a year! I had thought of looking at Halfords but I imagine they're not the cheapest or the best? Happy to be corrected though. :)

Cheers,

Matt.

Hi all,

Would anyone be able to recommend a battery for my 75 TDi please? It's struggling a little on the very cold mornings and I'm not sure how old it is so perhaps best to get a new one as I rely on my car for 20-25k a year! I had thought of looking at Halfords but I imagine they're not the cheapest or the best? Happy to be corrected though. :)

Cheers,

Matt.

The last one I bought was from EuroCarParts, they were doing one of their usual "DFS" style sale codes online (30% off or something like that). Given the above, I would go for one of the ones from the upper end of the market, as some of the cheaper ones I have found to be very nearly dead on arrival.

Thanks for the replies both, I've ordered the uprated one from your link Skipton01 :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies both, I've ordered the uprated one from your link Skipton01 :)

Excellent! Not that I'm linked to Tayna in any way, but when I find a good supplier, I like to champion them to others. You should be well pleased with the battery - can't really go wrong with a Varta Silver, basically the same as OE, but from a range above (the OE battery was/is basically a Varta Black series, which is a step down from the Silver series).

I fitted a Yuasa silver battery from Halfords, my TDi cranks over really fast and I certainly recommend this battery.

I think the Yuasa range is also available from other retailers too.

Sarge

I'm not connected to anyone, only connected to 30 plus years of motoring and being very interested to the point of buying many hundreds of mags over the years. I'm with Skipton here on the battery front, Varta are great batteries, been fitting them to our cars now for about 8 years as and when replacements are needed. I was told about 10 years ago that the emergency services fit Varta batteries so if it's good enough for them in the most remotest of places where life and death are at stake it's good enough for me.

Here is what I fitted last winter when my 12 year old battery started to struggle

Advanced/PowerPlus "AGM 110" 12v 85Ah 800 CCA(SAE)
manufactured by Varta
https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/advanced-xd-096-agm-battery-stop-start-technology-2/

I went for the absorbent glass mat (AGM) technology in the hope that one day, a talented person comes up with a suitable stop-start solution for the A2. This battery is, I think, the equivalent of the Varta F21. I know that is overspecced for our cars but it was cheaper than a Varta F18.

As I live a couple of miles from Stockport I collected mine and paid a bit less

Andrew

Would cleaning up all earth points before fitting a new battery help prevent battery drain ?

My A2 is a 2001 tdi with original battery but it keeps draining so I think its done.

James, never really any harm doing that but I suspect there will be something else draining it.

Could be a number of problems, convenience control module if faulty, aftermarket stereo wired wrong through to door module which a member recently identified as being the source of current drain. Do you have access to a diagnostic scan? That is a useful start point. Some companies offer tests at little or no charge for testing your battery (albeit with an agenda to sell you a new battery!).

James, never really any harm doing that but I suspect there will be something else draining it.

Could be a number of problems, convenience control module if faulty, aftermarket stereo wired wrong through to door module which a member recently identified as being the source of current drain. Do you have access to a diagnostic scan? That is a useful start point. Some companies offer tests at little or no charge for testing your battery (albeit with an agenda to sell you a new battery!).

There is an aftermarket stereo in it , so it could be that.

No unfortunately I don't have a diagnostic tool, I am more confident with mechanical as electrical stuff but ill have a play around and see what I can find.

The companies up here certainly wouldn't offer that, even to put out a warning error light they charge 50 plus, captive market unfortunately :)

Glow plugs perhaps? Mine was most reluctant to start the other morning at -4 degrees - new glow plugs solved it (thanks to WOM Automotive)

I would go for Varta every time. That’s because the Varta Battery on our 2003 1.4 SE Petrol is still the Original Battery from new ! Never had any problem with it at all.

That and I put Varta Batteries on the ‘66 Beetle and ‘72 Type 3 Variant about 7 years ago and they are both still fine. I put those on the Aldi Auto XS Battery Charger for 24 hours now and then during the Winter when they do not go out on the road, just to keep the Batteries in good condition.

This is a widely used battery by A2OC members:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/E38-Varta-Silver-Dynamic-Car-Battery-096-100-P3197.html

Also, you can fit the uprated type 110 version too, I have, and it cranks brilliantly:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/F18-Varta-Silver-Dynamic-Car-Battery-P7709.html

Good service from Tayna too - normally next day delivery.

Ok just took the plunge and taken on this recommendation (the 110 Varta) :)

Do I need to make any mods to make this fit given the extra length or does it squeeze in?

Ok just took the plunge and taken on this recommendation (the 110 Varta) :)

Do I need to make any mods to make this fit given the extra length or does it squeeze in?

Mine is arriving today, I'll let you know how i get on :)

Just fitted - no problem at all in getting the Varta in there.

Indeed I think the battery must have been replaced at some point as I'm sure there was a 110 already in there but only as a 640 so I should hopefully see a big improvement.

Just back in from fitting too, wasn't expecting to take half the boot floor trim apart to get it out/in but it was quite straight forward!

Thanks again for the recommendations :D

Looks like mine was the original battery by the way :)

Last edited:
Same question...

My A2 battery seemed like it was on its last legs when I bought the car but as I drove 2 to 6 hours a day after first day it never had trouble starting... I moved house and sometimes don’t drive at all for a week and when I do drive it’s 5 to 15 minutes drives only and it’s really been struggling in this cold...

Should I break down and get a new battery to save hassle on a future ice cold day?

Would this ebay battery be ok? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/096-067-P...r-Wty-fits-many-Alfa-Romeo-Audi-/251180625810

Same question...

My A2 battery seemed like it was on its last legs when I bought the car but as I drove 2 to 6 hours a day after first day it never had trouble starting... I moved house and sometimes don’t drive at all for a week and when I do drive it’s 5 to 15 minutes drives only and it’s really been struggling in this cold...

Should I break down and get a new battery to save hassle on a future ice cold day?

Would this ebay battery be ok? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/096-067-P...r-Wty-fits-many-Alfa-Romeo-Audi-/251180625810

Did you buy this one ?

I am looking for a battery also , found this on eurocar parts https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...d4e9e5cf37a037c583b33493ec9bf0df699561&000020

77.71 delivered

Back