Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TDi Battery recommendation

James, never really any harm doing that but I suspect there will be something else draining it.

Could be a number of problems, convenience control module if faulty, aftermarket stereo wired wrong through to door module which a member recently identified as being the source of current drain. Do you have access to a diagnostic scan? That is a useful start point. Some companies offer tests at little or no charge for testing your battery (albeit with an agenda to sell you a new battery!).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulA2 View Post
    James, never really any harm doing that but I suspect there will be something else draining it.

Could be a number of problems, convenience control module if faulty, aftermarket stereo wired wrong through to door module which a member recently identified as being the source of current drain. Do you have access to a diagnostic scan? That is a useful start point. Some companies offer tests at little or no charge for testing your battery (albeit with an agenda to sell you a new battery!).
    There is an aftermarket stereo in it , so it could be that.

No unfortunately I don't have a diagnostic tool, I am more confident with mechanical as electrical stuff but ill have a play around and see what I can find.

The companies up here certainly wouldn't offer that, even to put out a warning error light they charge 50 plus, captive market unfortunately

Glow plugs perhaps? Mine was most reluctant to start the other morning at -4 degrees - new glow plugs solved it (thanks to WOM Automotive)

I would go for Varta every time. Thatís because the Varta Battery on our 2003 1.4 SE Petrol is still the Original Battery from new ! Never had any problem with it at all.

That and I put Varta Batteries on the Ď66 Beetle and Ď72 Type 3 Variant about 7 years ago and they are both still fine. I put those on the Aldi Auto XS Battery Charger for 24 hours now and then during the Winter when they do not go out on the road, just to keep the Batteries in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipton01 View Post
    This is a widely used battery by A2OC members:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/E38-Varta-Si...100-P3197.html

Also, you can fit the uprated type 110 version too, I have, and it cranks brilliantly:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/F18-Varta-Si...ery-P7709.html

Good service from Tayna too - normally next day delivery.
    Ok just took the plunge and taken on this recommendation (the 110 Varta)

Do I need to make any mods to make this fit given the extra length or does it squeeze in?

Quote Originally Posted by cheechy View Post
    Ok just took the plunge and taken on this recommendation (the 110 Varta)

Do I need to make any mods to make this fit given the extra length or does it squeeze in?
    Mine is arriving today, I'll let you know how i get on

Just fitted - no problem at all in getting the Varta in there.

Indeed I think the battery must have been replaced at some point as I'm sure there was a 110 already in there but only as a 640 so I should hopefully see a big improvement.

8. Users that liked this post:

Muska (05-12-2017)

Just back in from fitting too, wasn't expecting to take half the boot floor trim apart to get it out/in but it was quite straight forward!

Thanks again for the recommendations

Looks like mine was the original battery by the way
    Last edited by Muska; 05-12-2017 at 03:40 PM.

10. Users that liked this post:

James (05-12-2017)

Same question...

My A2 battery seemed like it was on its last legs when I bought the car but as I drove 2 to 6 hours a day after first day it never had trouble starting... I moved house and sometimes donít drive at all for a week and when I do drive itís 5 to 15 minutes drives only and itís really been struggling in this cold...

Should I break down and get a new battery to save hassle on a future ice cold day?

Would this ebay battery be ok? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/096-067-Pl...-/251180625810
    Current: 2001 A2 TDI Grey
    Old: 2003 A2 1.6 FSI Cobalt Blue