Windscreen crack repair - recommendations?

YorkshireHill

A2OC Donor
Hi All

Grey2 has a crack measuring 12 cm on the bottom right of the windscreen. Hasn't been noted on the MOT advisories as it is well out of the field of view but I want to get it repaired.

Grateful to hear any views or recommendations.

Thank you

Hilary

Hi Hilary,

If it's got to that size, I'd say it was beyond repairing now - new windscreen is what's needed. A week after picking up our new e-tron, a small crack appeared dead centre bottom of the screen - it was around 5cm long, but it suddenly grew to a foot or so when we next went on the motorway.

I think you'll find most repairers only deal with cracks up to 10cm, but you could phone around first. Replacement is the way to go for me though.

Hi Hilary

Most insurer are affiliated with Autoglass and if your policy includes a contact number for windscreen repairs it usually links you direct to their call centre.

Their 'repair or replace guidelines' are covered here - https://www.autoglass.co.uk/glass-r...en&gclid=CIHXgtXh6NcCFUMXGwodaCYKSg&gclsrc=ds

Mike's suggestion for a replacement screen is the way to go.

If that's the outcome, lots of previous posts have suggested you insist on a genuine screen which sometimes means you're asked to pay the difference. Just something to be aware of.

Cheers Spike

PS. Well done to you and the team in 'championing' the Air Ambulance charity fund raising campaign

Thanks Michael, thanks Spike

Quite shocked about that but I'll investigate a replacement. Genuine one, no cut corners!

Hilary

You're welcome - and there's no suggestion of you cutting corners - although some glaziers may try to do so (I've seen some terrible aftermarket ones over the years, even ones branded Pilkington).

I didn't realise that the zones of the screen were dictated by wiper zones - I wonder how the A2 is viewed by BS as our little cars only have the one wiper??

At 12cm, get it replaced, but try to do it on a warmer day than we have at the moment - just so the car isn't as contracted as it will be now (which will lead to stresses in the height of summer when everything expands).

I had to have a replacement screen when having the respray done. The replacement cost £180 as an aftermarket item but the quality is great. It's well worth spending a bit extra because the cheap ones from China etc tend to have distortion on them that makes driving difficult.

I too recently had a screen replacement by Autoglass. Usual problem of additional charge if I wanted an OEM one, this is a function of the insurer. Having read several posts on the subject I went with the non-OEM. Autoglass fitted a Pilkington screen and I have to say they did a great job (was about to say a cracking job!) and the screen is a perfect fit.
A lot is down to the fitter, so good luck.

Geoff

I had to have a replacement screen when having the respray done. The replacement cost £180 as an aftermarket item but the quality is great. It's well worth spending a bit extra because the cheap ones from China etc tend to have distortion on them that makes driving difficult.

Some of the better quality glass is manufactured in China right now. Fuyao is a major player in this market right now and is an OEM supplier to VAG plus many other manufacturers and is being used on a lot of premium models. You can get cheap and nasty glass produced anywhere and it is a bit of a misconception to associate it to one country.

Eventually got round to getting the new windscreen fitted today. The 10 cm crack which had not changed over many months doubled in length when the car was moved around on the MOT ramp.

Used Autoglass through my insurer. Very pleased with the fitting and the new screen.

I have had to replace three screens over the years twice broken by MOT testers and once by a speed bump.

I had worn joints in my wiper arm and a missing small grommet. The tap on the screen from driving over a speed bump is sufficient to start a micro crack that spreads over months and as the seasons change, Worth checking your wiper arms.

Just had it replaced last week with a Fuayo one due to an expanding crack. It was an insuarance job and I was skeptical at first but the fitter said that the previous one which was supposed to be a Pilkington (second time it has cracked) was a knock-off. Perfect fit on the Fuayo and a lot better sealing rubber round the edges.

Check your wiper arms. Wiper arm tapping on the screen has cost me three.

If your wiper arms are worn a flyer poster at the supermarket car park could cost you a screen. At least you will know when the circus is arriving in town.

Back