Information Just Joined A2OC - does anyone know where I can get a recon 1.4 petrol engine ?

Spm

Hello Everyone,

I have an A2 1.4 standard spec. It's been mine from new and is on a 52 plate. I.e. it has the larger fuel tank. Unfortunately, after 15 years of ownership the engine has seized (85k miles). I've looked at other A2s on the market but, to be honest, nothing comes near mine for condition and I want to hang on to mine if I can (reasonably economically) replace the engine. The engine code is BBY. I first posted on the A2 Facebook page and Dave Ackie BinMon Atkinson suggested I try here too. So I'd be really grateful for any help or advice you can give. I'll also post on the sales threads in case anyone has a low mileage 1.4 engine that they can recommend and want to sell. Looking forward to being part of the group, Steve

Oh dear, seems to be the season for blowing 1.4 petrol engines :(

Sorry to hear of your predicament, keep posting, and someone will be along in a while with offers of assistance - we're a friendly bunch here.

I understand the 1.4 engine was used in other VAG models, so no need to restrict your search to A2's, but it would need somebody who knows what they are talking about to clarify.

Andy

Ok so I'm going to do the birchall / sarge response.

When you say seized what do you mean by that? Has someone diagnosed the issue (who has the requisite knowledge on the engines)

There are circumstances where the engine may appear seized but is fixable.

Welcome Steve!

Fantastic that you've owned your A2 from new. Hopefully there'll be plenty of ideas coming forward to help you.

Regards
Hilary

If anyone comes up with the answer about where to get Re Conditioned 1.4 Petrol BBY Engines then I would like to hear about it please. Harpers Cumbria suggested a new Short Motor would be the way to go to fix my 1.4 Petrol Piston Slap. Never asked them for a price. Sounded too frightening. Best in my case I think to try and hang on until the next Cam Belt Change is due and re assess then, so long as a Piston does not “ let go “ before then. Bought our 2003 SE in 2004 as a 12 month old 9,000 mile ex Demo / Sales Car from Blackburn Audi. 110,000 Miles now. Piston Slap started around 60,000 Miles.

Looks like there might be an underlying issue with the BBY engien then. The AUA was pretty bombproof i thought?

To reply to Cheechy's request for more info on the problem - when the VAG Indy garage took out the spark plugs they found that pistons 1 and 4 had hit the spark plugs and are now seized so the problem probably originally occurred down at the crankshaft level. I guess I could investigate whether my engine could be rebuilt if a replacement can't be found. But until I can decide which route to take I've not instructed them to incur the expense of taking my current engine to bits yet to find out if a rebuild is a possibility.

Not 66beatle and now you! :eek: Did you see my thread 3 days ago about piston slap on my 2003 BBY?

I can't say i'm impressed at all with these A2 petrol engines, they seam to be great for a while then they seam to be nothing but trouble. To get piston slap at 60k as 66beatle mentioned is frankly either down to a lack of oil changing which many A2 owners have pushed to 20k mile intervals or just a bad design! This i'm afraid is starting to sound like ford engines of the old days, who would want to buy another Dagenham dustbin if you could go back? Not me. My other Audi engines in my nineties built cars ie V6s or 5 cylinder turbo are all bombproof! Wish i could say the same about this BBY engine.

Hi - I have the aua petrol engine which is now on 107 thousand and no signs of piston slap. I think changing the oil regularly with the correct quality oil is the answer - I personally would not leave the oil for much longer than 10 thousand miles even with long life oil fitted . Some have 200 thousand miles on them and still running strong so to me the 1.4 petrol is a very reliable engine if treated with respect

Cheers Dave

Back