Woes come in threes

Well, the trip to the dentist and the alternator failing on the way back were the first two last week. Turns out new ones aren’t that cheap.

Then yesterday, just after getting off the motorway, it started feeling like the clutch was slipping: just a little bit of lost torque when negotiating roundabouts, but ok on the straights, until it went into full limp mode after a few miles.

It didn't reset on a restart, which I used to do previously when the turbo played up, so down to the garage this morning, where they told me that there are fault codes for the map sensor and the camshaft sensor.

I've left it with them to investigate, as it was going in for a service next week anyway.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I've got a bad feeling about this one.

Alternator, don't even think about Audi unless you like being violated. Ebay is your friend. For my petrol se, Audi wanted over £400, got a outright buy with higher output for £92 delivered.

The fault codes are probably voltage related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure the alternator is really dead before you replace it. On mine it was only the voltage regulator which was about £18 from GSF.

Too late for the alternator. I was a 100 miles from home with a semi-flat battery, so it got replaced. £365 all in, labour and VAT. Why does VAT always get added after they've given you the price?

Just to follow up on this, the camshaft fault went away on resetting, but the map sensor didn't. On further investigation, they found that one of the wires had broken off from the sensor - not a catastophic fail, just old age.

I'm VERY close to you. I had a spare (nearly new) alternator. Please bear me in mind if you need any help. I've got LOADS of A2 parts ...

David

Back