New owner

Neil50

My wife has just got a 51 plate 1,4 SE in Castell Red with 140k. We got it cheap as it needs somd work and had no service history but did have some receipts for recent work.

First thing that needs sorting is the wiper motor as it us permanent on. (I am guessing ******ed 602 relay).

I had everthing stripped off and even took the motor apart and you could see how it had worn and damaged the inside.

Got new oil, filters etc to give it a service. Cam belt looks fine but with no history i dong want to take the risk (will also change water pump at same time).

Ig also has knackered fuel cap which i am guessing is link to the door switch as the interior liggts and dash display for ooen door only work intermittently.

I can see many hours of work comjng may way!!

My wife has just got a 51 plate 1,4 SE in Castell Red with 140k. We got it cheap as it needs somd work and had no service history but did have some receipts for recent work.

First thing that needs sorting is the wiper motor as it us permanent on. (I am guessing ******ed 602 relay).

I had everthing stripped off and even took the motor apart and you could see how it had worn and damaged the inside.

Got new oil, filters etc to give it a service. Cam belt looks fine but with no history i dong want to take the risk (will also change water pump at same time).

Ig also has knackered fuel cap which i am guessing is link to the door switch as the interior liggts and dash display for ooen door only work intermittently.

I can see many hours of work comjng may way!!

I've got a spare 602 relay if you need one.

Hi scirroccorrado, am i correct in thinking that the permanent wipe will be caused by a faulty relay?

How much do you want for the relay and how quick cojld i get it as at the moment the car is jnusable and my wife is having to use my BMW Touring which is massive for her (her other car is a daihatsu copen but it has an engine issue which is why we bought the A2)

I can't guarantee that is the issue, as obviously it might be the wiper motor or possibly the stalk, but at £10 inc Hermes delivery (normally 2-3 days) it's probably worth a punt. Unfortunately I'm a bit tooooo far for trying a swap out.

I'll give it a bash as i have bought a brand new motor from eurocarparts today as i need the car on the road asap so i know the motor is fine. Hopefully the relay and not stalk as it is easier to replace. Can you please pm your details and how i pay you. Thanks.

Just thinking about jobs to be done to get "Albus" into good condition:

Good wash to see how well the Castell Red looks (unusual colour that I have not seen many of)
Full service
Cambelt Change
Wiper fix - new relay on its way to hopefully stop the constant running, if not then look at the stalk
Front scuttle replace
Glovebox replacement
New buttons on heater unit
filler flap
Foglight repair as N/S is not fixed to anything!
New undertray as the current one has been bodged with screws etc. and damaged on leading edge (high kerbs i assume)
Leather interior - long term!!
new speaker guard in the passenger door
False floor in rear

RECENT WORK CARRIED OUT PRIOR TO US BUYING:
New rear brake shoes
NSF anti roll bar link
3 new tyres
OSR wheel bearing
NSF track rod end
Brake discs and pads to front
New windscreen

I am sure I will think of other stuff to "titivate" but this is my wife's second car, she also has a Daihatsu Copen but an engine issue has arisen which is why she now also has "Albus"

Ah ha, another BMW owner! Welcome to the A2 (BMW) owners club.

Good luck with it, you’ll get loads of help here.

when I first got my a2 wiper problem similar turned out a few things, bad earth inside wiper motor, which stopped system working all together , fixed that to find wipers would work intermitantly and some times come on and stay on , the stalk had slack wobble in it which when played with I could get the wipers working properly so new stalk solved that issue , check your stalk is nice and firm with a positive feel between positions

The stalk feels positive in its movements but it could still be the culprit. trying the relay first as it is a simple unplug and replace. The motor is brand new as I wanted the car on the road today for the wife to use so bit the bullet and brought a bloody expensive one from ECP but as soon as I plugged it in it started trying to turn (juddering a bit) so I think it is getting crossed singles from somewhere but the stalk was in the off position. Can't use the car at the moment without working wipers

The stalk feels positive in its movements but it could still be the culprit. trying the relay first as it is a simple unplug and replace. The motor is brand new as I wanted the car on the road today for the wife to use so bit the bullet and brought a bloody expensive one from ECP but as soon as I plugged it in it started trying to turn (juddering a bit) so I think it is getting crossed singles from somewhere but the stalk was in the off position. Can't use the car at the moment without working wipers

You could if you disconnect the power too it and treat the windscreen with "Rain X", that will get you by for a few days, even up to a week.

I drove from Heathrow to Reading in the dark in torrential rain and because of the Rain X I didn't have to use the wipers once.

So if you are really stuck that is an option just in case it rains.

Steve B

Reactions: dlp
Does anyone else have a Castell red A2 as I haven't seen many even on websites? I think it is more of a bronze than a red (but it could be my eyesight) :)

Does anyone else have a Castell red A2 as I haven't seen many even on websites? I think it is more of a bronze than a red (but it could be my eyesight) :)

Yes, the Castle red is a great colour, reasonably rare but a few on here have them.

Yes, how they can call that red I don't know. It even states "Red" on the V5!!!

Brown is the colour but a LOVELY colour it is too, even more so in the sun.

Steve B

We have rainex but the issue is the spray from other vehicles which does not run off well even with rainex applied.

OK,

I have never had that problem myself, even when passing trucks but I can see that it would be something that you are not comfortable with

Changing the stalk is not a big job and they can be quite cheap.

Easier if you replace them as a pair.

Steve B

It is all the crap from the country lanes in cornwall that is the issue. More mud/dirt and less fluid.

Wipers now working properly. It was the relay. Just struggling to get the screw back into the motor frame by the brake resevoir (it was also a pain to get out). Tride to move the resevoir to majd room but worried about thd brake lines from thd bottom of it as i dont want to risk damaging them.

Started the first part of the service, oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter, fuel filter and spark plugs.

Albus is fighting me very hard! Took a while to get the bottom cover off due to a mixture of fittings, bolts, screws and cable ties!!

Dont know when it was last serviced but it took persuasion with a spanner and lump hammer to losen the sump plug.

Had to resort to using stilsons to get the bottom bolt off the heatshield as someone had rounded it.

There was fresh oil over the bottom of the sump and on the bottom engine cover. Soon found out where it was coming from, the filter was that loose i undid it with 2 fingers.

Due to all of the holdups, the new filter has been put on and i had to stop due to it being too dark outside to do anthing else.

Tomorrow i will hopefully get to finish this part of the service.

The second part will be cambelt and water pump. I have everything apart from the coolant, G12 i believe i have to get. Am lookng on the net to see if there is a video for the cambelt and waterpump change. I think yhd 1.4 petrol was used in vw polo or lupo as well.

Oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter and spark plygs changed.

Also changed the tailgate struts.

However, just added another item to the to-do list. Cylinder 3 & 4 had loads of oil in the sparkplug chamber. Have read that this is usually the rocket cover gasket and you have to take the cambelt off.

Luckily i plan on doing a cambelt change.

Back