Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch / Gearbox

1. Clutch / Gearbox

Morning folks,

Just posting to see if anyone out there has has any issues with as stated the clutch and gearbox.. mine is the 1.4TDi AMF recently it's been a nightmare to get into gear.. reverse, 1st, sometimes 2nd, 3rd and 4th OK, 5th a nightmare again. Clutch fully engaged when changing. I've taken it to my mechanic and he thinks changing the clutch to start with but cant rule out a bad gearbox either just wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts.

Thanks for reading.

Luke Vettraino Smith
    THEAUDISTALKER

Quote Originally Posted by THEAUDISTALKER View Post
    Morning folks,

Just posting to see if anyone out there has has any issues with as stated the clutch and gearbox.. mine is the 1.4TDi AMF recently it's been a nightmare to get into gear.. reverse, 1st, sometimes 2nd, 3rd and 4th OK, 5th a nightmare again. Clutch fully engaged when changing. I've taken it to my mechanic and he thinks changing the clutch to start with but cant rule out a bad gearbox either just wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts.

Thanks for reading.

Luke Vettraino Smith
    THEAUDISTALKER
    Have you tried resetting the gearbox linkages?
    | 2002 TDI 75 Sport | Ebony black | OSS | Cruise control | DIS | Bench seats |

3. Quote Originally Posted by ca2n View Post
    Have you tried resetting the gearbox linkages?
    This was the text I got from my mechanic yesterday explaining everything he has done so far...

" I have carried out a bleeding of the clutch hydraulics.

And I have carried out the correct adjustment to the cables.

My feelings on the clutch is that the pedal is very low anyways Iím assuming the clutch is knackered and not clearing enough to get a smooth gear change.

Gearbox out job, clutch kit and slave replacement would be a good start.

Donít advise driving it like this at the moment as itís crunching gears.

We canít rule out a knackered gearbox but with the clutch biting point so low we need to try that.

Whatís your thoughts. "

Luke Vettraino Smith
    THEAUDISTALKER

This was the text I got from my mechanic yesterday explaining everything he has done so far...

" I have carried out a bleeding of the clutch hydraulics.

And I have carried out the correct adjustment to the cables.

My feelings on the clutch is that the pedal is very low anyways I’m assuming the clutch is knackered and not clearing enough to get a smooth gear change.

Gearbox out job, clutch kit and slave replacement would be a good start.

Don’t advise driving it like this at the moment as it’s crunching gears.

We can’t rule out a knackered gearbox but with the clutch biting point so low we need to try that.

What’s your thoughts. "

Luke Vettraino Smith
    THEAUDISTALKER
    I can't say I have read on this forum of any knackered gearbox. What I have read and experienced myself is the bearing in gearbox selector tower and the 3rd gear crunch caused by worn syncro. You can do a quick search on here for these problems to see if the same symptoms are prevalent. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    | 2002 TDI 75 Sport | Ebony black | OSS | Cruise control | DIS | Bench seats |

5. Got two question relating to my issue... if someone could let me know that would be great.

*1.4TDi AMF*

1, Does my A2 have a crankshaft sensor?

2, Does it have a dual mass flywheel?

Cheers folks.

Luke Vettraino Smith
    THEAUDISTALKER

Got two question relating to my issue... if someone could let me know that would be great.

*1.4TDi AMF*

1, Does my A2 have a crankshaft sensor?

2, Does it have a dual mass flywheel?

Cheers folks.

Luke Vettraino Smith
    THEAUDISTALKER
    It has a crankshaft AND a camshaft sensor.

It does NOT have a Dual Mass Flywheel.

Steve B
    2003 FSI Sport in Violet Silver (LY4W), 85k miles, ex-Motorshow car 2002. Well specced, RNS-D, OSS (working) Red leather sport heated seats with 3 seat bench. Being restored to original spec

VCDS and Key programming service Including the new shaped key fobs, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

ATL is DMF right?

Quote Originally Posted by Olerype View Post
    ATL is DMF right?
    Yes, the ATL has a DMF.

Steve B
    2003 FSI Sport in Violet Silver (LY4W), 85k miles, ex-Motorshow car 2002. Well specced, RNS-D, OSS (working) Red leather sport heated seats with 3 seat bench. Being restored to original spec

VCDS and Key programming service Including the new shaped key fobs, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

9. Users that liked this post:

Olerype (08-12-2017)

The only A2 that uses a DMF is the TDI 90.

11. Users that liked this post:

Olerype (08-12-2017)

And that is a bad thing right...?