Thread: Tow Bar

Tow Bar

Hi everyone,i want to put a tow bar on my Audii to tow a trailer (tip runs) is this possible as iv not seen one with one on,and if so does anyone know of someone in Birmingham that can do this for me?

2. Users that liked this post:

Vorsprung durch Technik (06-12-2017)

Yes, it's entirely possible, but you'll have to find a tow bar first of all. They're pretty rare but do come up from time to time. Not sure if any aftermarket option exists, but there could be a solution.

I love mine - allows me to use a tow-mounted bike rack and it's simplicity itself to use. You may not have seen one because the tow head is detachable and when it's removed, there's nothing visible except a hole in the bumper but you'd have to get your head down to the ground to see it.
    WAS : TDI 75 SE 2001 (Little Tank)
    NOW : TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, Winter Pack, ISOfix, fogs, climate, full electric glass, RNS-E, IceLink, Audi BT phone & Mk2 TT seats! Morimoto HID, Pentagon Supaglass, black headlining, cruise & Audi PDC, GALA, S-style mirrors & TT road and steering wheels.(The NEW Tank).

4. Users that liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skipton01 View Post
    I love mine - allows me to use a tow-mounted bike rack and it's simplicity itself to use.
    Hi Mike, have you got a photo of it with bikes mounted? Please.

Thanks Skipton so it looks like Ebay then and then someone to fit it in Brum. ps just looked on ebay and none to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
    Hi Mike, have you got a photo of it with bikes mounted? Please.
    I don't but I can get one next time I have the bikes on board, if you like.
    WAS : TDI 75 SE 2001 (Little Tank)
    NOW : TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, Winter Pack, ISOfix, fogs, climate, full electric glass, RNS-E, IceLink, Audi BT phone & Mk2 TT seats! Morimoto HID, Pentagon Supaglass, black headlining, cruise & Audi PDC, GALA, S-style mirrors & TT road and steering wheels.(The NEW Tank).

8. Users that liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard700 View Post
    Hi everyone,i want to put a tow bar on my Audii to tow a trailer (tip runs) is this possible as iv not seen one with one on,and if so does anyone know of someone in Birmingham that can do this for me?
    You can buy a brand new A2 towbar from the link below - not cheap though, 359 euros plus carriage
    https://www.rameder.eu/towbar-detach...4-04382-1.html
    1.4 petrol BBY Island Green A2 SE first registered 22 January 2003, currently at 92177 miles.
    RIP 1.4 petrol AUA engined Pine Green A2 SE, tragically taken at 89084 miles by an RBKC rubbish wagon

10. Users that liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skipton01 View Post
    I don't but I can get one next time I have the bikes on board, if you like.
    Thanks Mike,please do i would very much appreciate that.

There is some on ebay made by GDW. The best to get is the one inclusive of 7 pin electrics. I have this one, fits and works great.
    Will cost 360-00 including postage though.
    Item no 252981108033.
    Cheers Graham.

13. Users that liked this post:

I was led to believe early A2's can NOT have a tow bar fitted (that is, without structural reinforcements).
    The Dutch "DVLA" even registers a "0" for permissable trailer weight (both braked and non-braked) on the car's registration card.

Later A2's can (I don't know when "early" ends and "later" starts) have a tow bar and are allowed up to 1,000 kg (braked trailer). They generally have the (original Audi) detachable tow head, but I have seen aftermarket "fixed head" tow bars on A2's.

The tow bar comes in handy for trips to the tip, but also for holidays: we have just finished a 5,300 km round trip to southern Spain towing a 800 kg caravan.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9466a.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	32595
    Last edited by Peter; 06-12-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    A2 TDI 90 - dolphin grey - leather/alcantara heatable sports seats, Bose-audio with CD changer, pdc, cruise control, full size DIS, spare wheel, detachable towbar, 4 electr.windows, heated mirrors/nozzles.

15. Users that liked this post:

Apparently it's up to 2002 build year that Audi need to be consulted after that it's just go ahead and fit according to that eBay link Graham kindly put up.