New Driver New A2 Owner

daneneeliz

Hi there im a new proud A2 owner. 1.4 TDi
I dont have a manuel so am googling everything i need to know.The A2 has been my dream car ive only been driving 2 yrs but finaly got my wish and am not dissapointed in any way shape or form. I just wondred if anybody had any tips for me as im having trouble releasing the flap to get to the oil water etc. I am now aware the bonnet isnt the usual but when i pull the bonnet cord the flap wont open. It decided to open while i was out driving and my husband promprly closed it not knowing this was how to check oil levels. Now it wont open at all. Ive only had my car for 2 weeks so am still learning. Thanks in advance.:cool:

Last edited:
Hello. I'm glad you're enjoying your new car. My tip for opening the service flap is to get someone to apply a bit of pressure to the bottom of it - where the hinge is - while you're pulling on the release handle. That usually works. The catch that holds the flap closed probably needs adjustment and I'm sure that someone will be along soon to explain that - I'm afraid that's outside my scope!

Hello. I'm glad you're enjoying your new car. My tip for opening the service flap is to get someone to apply a bit of pressure to the bottom of it - where the hinge is - while you're pulling on the release handle. That usually works. The catch that holds the flap closed probably needs adjustment and I'm sure that someone will be along soon to explain that - I'm afraid that's outside my scope!

had the same issue with both of my A2's tried adjusting and oiling the catch and cable but didn't make any real difference, final solution was to replace the plastic latch catch, it is attached with a single X head screw so easily replaced.
Audi don't sell this part seperately, they want you to buy the entire service flap assembly which is stupid, so I 3D printed a replacement catch.
I can provide one if you like for £5 + 80p P&P, drop me a PM if you want one
Cheers,
Paul

Welcome, i am a new member as well but with a 1.4 petrol bought for my wife but i do the work on it so she can drive worry free. I have looked through most of the site and there are very helpful and knowledgable people on here willing to help with advise and tips.

Hi Daneneeliz, Ive just fixed the same problem on my A2....the service flap would not always open on the cable pull inside. I figured with all the poor weather and the cold the catch was most likely gunked up. I poured some hot water down the join at the top of the flap where it meets the bonnet and with a bit of backwards and forwards I managed to get it open. The issue I found was the catch is a small plunger type affair which when pressed in with my finger wouldnt then release! I took out the two small torq screws and released the catch from its anchor point.

Then gave it a few taps with the screw driver and it popped back out again....Clearly gunked up. Taking some WD40 and then some spray grease, I squirted it inbetween the the plunger and its housing....pushing it in and out with my finger....repeated this a few times until it moved completely freely. Only took a minute or so....

Hey presto....the catch now works perfectly again from the inside release lever.

Thank you ive sorted it now

you will need to be able to open the service flap to remove the bonnet for the MoT
Strictly speaking, testers cannot remove the bonnet from an A2 for inspection. They can open the flap, but not remove the bonnet. The guidelines for the MOT test say that items can be opened but nothing can be removed. As the A2 bonnet can not be opened in the standard way, where it would still be attached to the car, Audi have really made the A2 so that no testable items are inside the engine bay. An MOT test does not look at things like fluid levels and the suspension and steering systems are all checked with the car in the air from underneath.

I take your point Mike, but every A2 I have submitted for a MoT test has had the bonnet removed, now I know I could tell the MOT tester that they can't remove the bonnet, but that would indicate that there is something to hide under there and just make the tester look extra hard for something to fail the car on. The MOT test is very much open to interpretation of the written rules my view is that common sense is normally applied by the MoT tester, but if you get him off side then the written word can be interpreted in much harsher way.
Just my personal views, to each his own.
Cheers,
Paul

Oh, I'm aware of the interpretation - and I'm not advocating rubbing a tester up the wrong way. However, my A2 has never had the bonnet removed on each of its last 11 tests and for the sole reason that there's nothing under there to check. Now if you've (say) got a misaligned headlight, a lenient tester could adjust the lights to avoid a fail (which is actually not allowed either by the test rules) and having a non-removable bonnet would make this impossible.

A lot of mechanics will probably want to take the bonnet off for novelty purposes, but that's all - there's simply nothing to inspect in the engine bay that can't be checked better from below while up on the lift.

Back