heating

oops..here they are..

IMG_20171210_190031.jpg

IMG_20171210_185926.jpg

beware that on the TDI engine the fuelling map for less than 10Deg C will likely use for extra fuel than running the webasto Aux heater.
Not using the Aux heater WILL result in much much longer engine warm up and therefore much longer on the cold fuelling maps, plus the cabin will be very cold.
I tried this for a week last year on the 8 mile commute to work when the temps where around -3 to 0 deg C
The week in ECON mode actually used more fuel than the week with the Aux heater working, not to mention that I was toasty warm after about a mile with the Aux heater running and bloody freezing after 6 miles in ECON :)
This was not very scientific as the temperature was certainly not in 'controlled conditions'

Tom (timmus) posted some info to me last year regarding some one who did some scientific study regarding economy, from memory the miles being travelled had to be about 2 miles or less to get better economy in ECON mode. bear in mind that the webasto turns off once the coolant temp reaches (I think) 75 Deg C. however I tried turning it to ECON once the temp gauge was at 80 deg C, the temp was maintained if doing around 1800 RPM, but once I started some stop start driving the gauge fell to 60 Deg C or less and the cabin heater was noticeably cooler. Once I got on a motorway run the gauge fit 90 Deg C within a mile of 70mph running

The simple summary I came to was don't use ECON mode unless just moving the A2 a few yards. Mr Audi new what he was doing when he fitted the webesto aux heating system.

What I would like to do is retro fit the latter electrical heater that was fitted to the TDI after the webasto was discontinued. I understand that this heats the air in the cabin heater box and thus provides immediate heat, ideal for windscreen defrosting. This would be the best of both worlds.

Cheers,

beware that on the TDI engine the fuelling map for less than 10Deg C will likely use for extra fuel than running the webasto Aux heater.
Not using the Aux heater WILL result in much much longer engine warm up and therefore much longer on the cold fuelling maps, plus the cabin will be very cold.
I tried this for a week last year on the 8 mile commute to work when the temps where around -3 to 0 deg C
The week in ECON mode actually used more fuel than the week with the Aux heater working, not to mention that I was toasty warm after about a mile with the Aux heater running and bloody freezing after 6 miles in ECON :)
This was not very scientific as the temperature was certainly not in 'controlled conditions'

Tom (timmus) posted some info to me last year regarding some one who did some scientific study regarding economy, from memory the miles being travelled had to be about 2 miles or less to get better economy in ECON mode. bear in mind that the webasto turns off once the coolant temp reaches (I think) 75 Deg C. however I tried turning it to ECON once the temp gauge was at 80 deg C, the temp was maintained if doing around 1800 RPM, but once I started some stop start driving the gauge fell to 60 Deg C or less and the cabin heater was noticeably cooler. Once I got on a motorway run the gauge fit 90 Deg C within a mile of 70mph running

The simple summary I came to was don't use ECON mode unless just moving the A2 a few yards. Mr Audi new what he was doing when he fitted the webesto aux heating system.

What I would like to do is retro fit the latter electrical heater that was fitted to the TDI after the webasto was discontinued. I understand that this heats the air in the cabin heater box and thus provides immediate heat, ideal for windscreen defrosting. This would be the best of both worlds.

Cheers,

Could you not just get an appropriately sized PDC unit with thermostat control and wire it in to a supply and manual switch and drop it in to the vent system? Is the Audi original unit likely to be something different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you not just get an appropriately sized PDC unit with thermostat control and wire it in to a supply and manual switch and drop it in to the vent system? Is the Audi original unit likely to be something different?

The original Audi unit would just be easier to retro fit

Back