A2 Drifting to the left : Experts needed

hello all.

Recently the car was drifting to the left quite hard when I freaked and in general. I took it to a garage and after some messing about, came to the conclusion the Power Steering Rack was leaking and would need replacing, also one tie bar needed sorting. So After a lot of messing about they fitted a new one and it was much better, but not mint. The car would slowly drift to the left now. So I told them and they got it tracked again. I've paid 550 quid already but it still drifts to the left if I have no hands on the wheel. Not massively but its annoying.

What could the issue be????

Hello Phil,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune so far and let's hope to stop the spending if possible and find a low cost/no cost solution.

I'm presuming from your Location that you're in the Ilford area? So we're talking about a right hand drive, UK spec car? If so, you'll be aware that pretty much all cars will drift slightly to the left due to the camber of the roads here in the UK - they're highest in the middle and tend to slope off to the kerbs on either side, hence even with a perfectly set up car, the slope will take you to the left.

Although I don't know the extent to the drift, you've said you freaked, so it must have been quite dramatic, but I'm wondering about the jobs you've had done so far and whether they were really necessary, or just a way to make a bit of cash for the garage. Getting it tracked again rings alarm bells with me - tracking is a case of being right or wrong - you can't really use tracking to make up for a defective component or a problem elsewhere. When it was tracked the first time, the geometry should have been spot on, so no need to do it again.

Let us know your thoughts on this

When I got my car it needed the wheel held at about 5 degrees over to go straight. Tracking was checked and sorted but it still edged over a little bit. When I checked my Tyres they were a little bit wedge shaped because the tracking had been so bad that it had worn them unevenly. When I put new Tyres on the ride was much straighter. I will still edge over if I’m hands off the wheel (for testing purposes) but not much at all and easily camber related.
I found after I got it tracked I was hyper aware of the issue but after a couple of weeks it felt natural

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could one of the front brakes be binding a little?

Tyres will have been worn if tracking used to be off so may take a while to wear differently now tracking correct.

Tyre pressures all correct?

Just initial thoughts to add to existing comments, good luck. Would have hoped after a significant sum of money has been paid to a garage the problem would have been solved to your satisfaction.

Back