Engine Type?

TFG

A2OC Donor
A simple question from a relative newbie: What's the easiest way to establish what engine type I've got? I was hoping to find a sticky on the subject.

Also, when I look at my V5, the chassis number is given as 8ZZ1N0*****. When I look on 7zap and online parts vendors, the number ranges are often given as 8Z2xxx or 8Z3xxx. Does the '2' or'3' signify the number of Z's, or have I got a wacky chassis number?

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Audi

This will give you all the info you need.

The number immediately following the 8Z is a filler number and then the next one is the model year. 1=2001, 3=2003 etc. So yours is a 2001 model year. The N is the manufacturing plant, in this case Neckarsulm, where all A2s were made.

Reactions: TFG
However, taking your model year into account, and your fuel type, your engine code has to be AMF as this is the only diesel engined A2 made up until the BHC engine in around 2003/4. The TDi90 came in from 2004 and is engine code ATL.

If you take a look in the boot, close to the battery usually, you should find a sticker similar to the attachment below.

The circled area will give you the engine code.
The one listed is engine code BAD, which is the A2 Petrol 1.6 FSi

Codes.jpg

Cheers
Jeff

Reactions: TFG
Thanks guys. I've also just noticed that the V5 shows "AMF" as part of the engine number, which is a not-very-subtle clue....

As for the online parts catalogue stuff, here are a couple of examples from the 7zap pages (for fuel filters, as it happens):

F 8Z-3-000 001>> This means that it's an A2-specific part (8Z), for model year 2003 onwards and from the 1st build of that year?

F >> 8Z-3-011 596 So it's an A2-specific part again, suitable for up to chassis number 11596 of the 2003 model year?

This is a curious example as it appears that the 2 parts listed seem to overlap in their application suitability.

Yes, these numbers puzzle me and precisely what they mean, but with the different positions of the the double greater than signs, does the second not mean from 11596? Help.

Andy

Thanks guys. I've also just noticed that the V5 shows "AMF" as part of the engine number, which is a not-very-subtle clue....

As for the online parts catalogue stuff, here are a couple of examples from the 7zap pages (for fuel filters, as it happens):

F 8Z-3-000 001>> This means that it's an A2-specific part (8Z), for model year 2003 onwards and from the 1st build of that year?

F >> 8Z-3-011 596 So it's an A2-specific part again, suitable for up to chassis number 11596 of the 2003 model year?

This is a curious example as it appears that the 2 parts listed seem to overlap in their application suitability.

What is the actual part you're referencing? I'm sure that it'll refer to what Audi calls a 'phased-in' development. This is where a part is introduced from a given chassis number and then there's a range of chassis before the part is not used again. It's also complicated by the run-out Special Edition models, which were really parts bin specials, using bits of sport, bits of SE and in some cases, older parts, like trim pieces and shiny aluminium trim.

It's more the syntax of the chassis number terminology that I'm trying to come to terms with, rather than any specific part. When I typed my last post I happened to be looking at the fuel filter diagrams on 7zap at the same time, so just used those chassis numbers (and the way they're written on the parts pages) as an example.

Cambelt/water pump kits are another chestnut where getting the right kit for the chassis number looks to be important. In the first 2 or 3 years, the AMF seems to have had an array of design revisions.

the full 8Z decode is over on the German forum. Essentially, it's WAUZZZ8Zxxx and the first number after the Z is the production year. So in my case (I drive a 2002), it's 8Z2.
Note, though, that parts use a different schema - an 8Z0 part is for all A2s, 8Z1 LHD ONLY and 8Z2 RHD only. Good examples of the latter are the mirror glasses and motor mounts which are not the same.

- Bret

the full 8Z decode is over on the German forum. Essentially, it's WAUZZZ8Zxxx and the first number after the Z is the production year. So in my case (I drive a 2002), it's 8Z2.
- Bret

That's not strictly true or accurate - the first digit after the 8Z is a filler digit on our cars and it's the second digit which designates the model year. You'll see from the boot label that Jeff posted earlier, his VIN has a 5 after the 8Z, then a 3 and his car is indeed a 2003 model year (even though it was registered in 2002). Generally, model years start around week 30-40 of the year, so around late July onwards, depending on the model.

My VIN is 8Z15N and it's a 2005 model year, ordered in July 2004 and delivered in October 2004.

That's not strictly true or accurate - the first digit after the 8Z is a filler digit on our cars and it's the second digit which designates the model year. You'll see from the boot label that Jeff posted earlier, his VIN has a 5 after the 8Z, then a 3 and his car is indeed a 2003 model year (even though it was registered in 2002). Generally, model years start around week 30-40 of the year, so around late July onwards, depending on the model.

My VIN is 8Z15N and it's a 2005 model year, ordered in July 2004 and delivered in October 2004.
Interesting information, my A2 is 8Z14 but mine was registered July 03 why would that say 2004.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Interesting information, my A2 is 8Z14 but mine was registered July 03 why would that say 2004.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
Because it is considered as a 2004 model year car by Audi. It will have possibly been registered by the dealership before it even entered the country.

You're welcome. When I ordered my A2 in July 2004, they were able to give me the reg number before it had landed at Grimsby, so I know that dealers do (or used to) pre-register to one extent or another.

Mine is a 2005 model year on a 54 plate (originally), so a similar situation to yours.

Yes it's a bit odd having model years running out of sync with the calendar year, but it's a bit like the UK registration system (as it used to be - which introduced a new 'year' from 1st August).

The VW group do the same - they use a single digit to denote the model year. All our A2s will have a number (apart from really early examples of 2000 model year which could have the letter Y), 2001=1, 2002=2 etc up to 2009=9, then they revert to letters, so 2010=A, 2011=B and so on. Interestingly, they've just gone back to numbers for 2018MY, which is 8.

Previously, they ran through the alphabet (missing out I, O, Q, U & Z) so A=1980, N=1992 and so on up to Y=2000. I wonder if they're now going to utilise the filler digit, so 2018=8, 2019=9, 2020=20 and 2021=21?

Maybe too much info for some, but I find it quite interesting.

Back