TDI electric fuel pump location ?

Artsi_L

TDI electric fuel pump location ? - loss of power

Hello

I feel confident in saying that pumpe duse 1.9TDI engines have a lift pump in fuel tank, which brings the fuel up to the tandem pump in the engine. I have read that electric fuel pumps do experience failures, and symptoms are loss of power at high revs. My 1.4TDI has a noticeable loss of power at higher revs (anywhere above 3000rpm).

I ordered PD TDI lift pump from ebay, proceeded to take apart the fuel tank top with a friend - only to find that the cradle inside the tank has just the fuel level sender in the tank. Nothing else.

I am baffled.

The question is: Where is my electric lift pump?

I hope this forum is able to help me out.

-Arto

Last edited:
I have read that electric fuel pumps do experience failures, and symptoms are loss of power at high revs. My 1.4TDI has a noticeable loss of power at higher revs (anywhere above 3000rpm).

The question is: Where is my electric lift pump?

-Arto

As has already been said, your diesel A2 doesn't have a lift pump - you just have a fuel level sender in the tank with the associated wiring, so don't think that there's anything missing - there isn't.

Now to your symptoms - loss of power at high revs/high demands: this indicates to me that you probably have a blocked or very dirty fuel filter. I'd change this in the first instance to see if it resolves your issues and then take it from there. If you've the plastic filter housing, be careful with the small central screw - they snap so easily and at present that means a whole new housing as you can't buy the screw alone. If you have the earlier metal canister type, then all you need is hose clamps and a drip tray.

My ride is 2004 model. I had the car up for few minutes as we tried to locate the (non existent) electric pump. I had a passing look at the fuel filter. It seemed to be full metal canister. Thanks for the tip, I'll have the filter changed.

My ride is 2004 model. I had the car up for few minutes as we tried to locate the (non existent) electric pump. I had a passing look at the fuel filter. It seemed to be full metal canister. Thanks for the tip, I'll have the filter changed.

Must be a car that's sat around for a while before registration then as the plastic filter housing was fitted from chassis numbers 8Z*3 onwards - ie model year 2003. To be honest though, you've got the more robust filter - bit trickier to change (get some good hose clip releasing pliers) but it'll stand up to a lot more abuse and last longer. They often have a manufacturing date stamped on them - bet yours will be original.

So it's actually a 2005 model year then - should deffo have the plastic filter housing in that case, unless for some reason the metal type is specified for cold weather countries perhaps?

It is a privateer import from Germany to Finland, about back in 2011 by prevoius owner.
I. E. not original Finland model.

Interesting history then - the 5 indicates the model year and your chassis is 1100 later than mine, which was delivered in October 2004 (I'm the only owner). I wonder if it has had the older fuel filter retro-fitted at some point?

Finally my wife's son got around swapping the fuel filter. Oh my, was it ever so full of tar like black substance. Yup, broke off the water bleed nipple. I decided not to need it, and we cleaned it well with a brake cleaner solvent and glued it permanently on.

Mt tdi pulls much better now. However the performance gap to my wife's chipped 2001 tdi is monumental, even when I have German made 'power box' connected to my engine.

link to powerbox: https://www.racechip.com/shop/audi/a2-8z-2000-to-2005/1-4-tdi-1422ccm-75hp-55kw-195nm.html

I still might install the electric lift pump. It has been found to be useful even on the old rotary VE-pump TDI's. Adds performance at higher revs, when fuel demand is at it's highest.

Last edited:
Would you like a remap ?
I can now provide remaps for all of the various TDI engined A2 at £20 You then need to install it via an MPPS cable and laptop

See the Depronman remap thread for more info

Regards,
Paul

I still might install the electric lift pump. It has been found to be useful even on the old rotary VE-pump TDI's. Adds performance at higher revs, when fuel demand is at it's highest.

Glad you found one of the reasons, We had a similar (but worse) case of black tarry "gloop".

Did you get the tank properly flushed, ours had it all collected in the bottom of the tank and that then blocked the filter.

As for fitting an electric lift pump, do take into account that thousands of TDI A2s are running around perfectly well without one.

I would not recommend fitting one, it could cause other issues.

Steve B

Back