It takes too long to start my 3l

karabaja

Hi guys, in the last few days i had a hard time starting my engine. I stuck a key in, spin it, and nothing really happens for like 10 second. After 10 second or so it starts and works perfectly fine. Even if i turn the engine off, and start it again right after, it takes it one second to start. So delay only happens in the morning or if the engine is off for a few hours. Any thoughts?

Hi guys, in the last few days i had a hard time starting my engine. I stuck a key in, spin it, and nothing really happens for like 10 second. After 10 second or so it starts and works perfectly fine. Even if i turn the engine off, and start it again right after, it takes it one second to start. So delay only happens in the morning or if the engine is off for a few hours. Any thoughts?

Fuel running back to the tank is the most likely
Glow plug(s) failed
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before turning over the starter motor, get the glow plugs to heat up by turning on the ignition until the glow plug icon goes off. Do this three or four times, with your foot on the brake pedal as this seems to make a difference as to how long the icon stays lit. Then try to start. If this makes no difference, it's probably a fuel issue, either due to the fuel filter or lift pump on the driver's end of the camshaft.

RAB

When you say nothing really happens, I'm guessing it's not even cranking?

When you say nothing really happens, I'm guessing it's not even cranking?

He did write "spin it", which I took to assume that it's turning over. If not it's probably due to insufficient hydraulic pressure for the clutch and gear actuators or not enough hydraulic fluid or a failing accumulator.

RAB

Bearing in mind the cold weather and that the engine is seemingly turning over, I'd say the glow plugs will be at fault - a diagnostic or even just swapping out for new will be the first step.

Thank you all. Engine is not turning over (i meant "when i spin the KEY"). I have just checked accumulator and it seems i will have to buy new one... Thank's again.

Does the 1.2 TDI starter motor not have the same earthing issues as 1.4 TDIs? I'm just saying because I did mine earlier today after similar symptoms (not cranking when cold). Just thought it could do, I'm no expert though!

Does the 1.2 TDI starter motor not have the same earthing issues as 1.4 TDIs? I'm just saying because I did mine earlier today after similar symptoms (not cranking when cold). Just thought it could do, I'm no expert though!

Yes, the earthing points are the same, so perhaps a clean up of this area would help. Having said that, cold could cause a failing battery or a marginal one to not start. Before buying a new battery (accumulator?), try cleaning the earthing point from the starter motor.

Yes, the earthing points are the same, so perhaps a clean up of this area would help. Having said that, cold could cause a failing battery or a marginal one to not start. Before buying a new battery (accumulator?), try cleaning the earthing point from the starter motor.

Will do, thank's. I meant air accumulator, not battery though...

Karabaja, I think you mean the accumulator for the hydraulic oil for operation of the clutch actuator and the gearbox actuator. Without sufficient pressure, the starter motor won't operate. There's no air accumulator.

RAB

If you didn't know that hydraulic oil is required, it might be a good idea to check the oil level before you replace the accumulator. To do this, disconnect the electrical plug from the hydraulic pump unit. With a 24mm spanner, loosen the accumulator half a turn. Remove the green cap from the reservoir on the hydraulic unit and top up with VW steering hydraulic oil so that the level is within the rectangle on the reservoir. Re-tighten the accumulator and re-connect the plug.

RAB

Back