New member long time owner.

doughnuts

Hello all. Just found this website. I bought my A2, 1.4tdi AMF engine with OSS new in 2002. The car has been fantastic and is always my 1st choice, currently does an 80 mile round trip to work, 5 days a week.
Very little has gone wrong in 15 years but this year I had to replace the turbo at 160k, alternator at 165k and wheel bearings at 175k. What else can I expect to fail soon? Still on original gearbox and clutch.
Any advice regarding this and what additional servicing I should do would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello all. Just found this website. I bought my A2, 1.4tdi AMF engine with OSS new in 2002. The car has been fantastic and is always my 1st choice, currently does an 80 mile round trip to work, 5 days a week.
Very little has gone wrong in 15 years but this year I had to replace the turbo at 160k, alternator at 165k and wheel bearings at 175k. What else can I expect to fail soon? Still on original gearbox and clutch.
Any advice regarding this and what additional servicing I should do would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi doughnuts, welcome to A2OC. Like yourself, I'm also running a 2002 1.4 AMF with OSS. Unlike you though, I just bought mine a few months ago so I can't really comment on what additional servicing might be needed (although you keeping it going for 15 years sounds to me you paid good attention to it!). Kudos for keeping it running all this while. You'll find tons of help on this forum. I just cleaned my starter motor earth about 10 minutes ago based on information here and it seems to have improved things. Although, I should perhaps wait for a very cold morning to test again (a week ago on Saturday it wouldn't even crank, had to wait later in the day when it was a bit warmer).

I have not been as good as I could have been at keeping it serviced the last 4 years but never gone over a year. Just forgot that it should have been more frequent now I'm asking her to do 20k a year.
Got a split on the oil fill pipe that I hope to replace in the next few weeks and just broke the tip off a second dipstick.
Car has always sounded like a tractor in the mornings but thinking of changing all 3 plugs as well soon.
Not sure if gearbox oil should be changed at this age but no obvious issues,clunking, difficulty etc with it or the clutch?

Ah, yes, the broken dipstick tip, that's a common one. One of the members here (depronman) 3D prints the tips. He should be along soon to advise.

My gearbox oil was changed 3 months ago by the good guys at WOM in Stoke-on-Trent. But that was due to water ingress into the gearbox.

Welcome along to the forum, you won't find a better bunch of helpful peeps on the web :)

I'd thoroughly recommend a gearbox oil change, shouldn't cost the earth, and definitely a lot cheaper than a new gearbox.

My 1.4tdi (BHC engine) is currently on just shy of 203k miles, and I think it's original as is gearbox.

Its just had a thorough service at WOM, changing all oils, and drop links. Third gear syncro is a little bit poor, but this is a common fault.

As Ca2n says the starting is sometimes an issue, but another suggestion on this is to replace the battery, as quite often the batteries are original on these. There is a slightly higher rated battery (110ah?) which should fit, so check recent posts for details on that.

My brother in law does a lot of work on cars, is a gearbox oil change a relatively easy process or is it something that a garage needs to do?

My brother in law does a lot of work on cars, is a gearbox oil change a relatively easy process or is it something that a garage needs to do?

Hi and welcome. This thread should help. http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?32821-Gearbox-oil-change&highlight=gearbox+oil+change Go through all 3 pages as the last page recommends a funnel to help fill.

Also this thread: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?4261-Gearbox-Oil

The forum search engine is not brilliant. An alternative is to use google and search just the forum by using site:www.a2oc.net
Eg
site:www.a2oc.net how to gearbox

Last edited:
I have not been as good as I could have been at keeping it serviced the last 4 years but never gone over a year. Just forgot that it should have been more frequent now I'm asking her to do 20k a year.
Got a split on the oil fill pipe that I hope to replace in the next few weeks and just broke the tip off a second dipstick.
Car has always sounded like a tractor in the mornings but thinking of changing all 3 plugs as well soon.
Not sure if gearbox oil should be changed at this age but no obvious issues,clunking, difficulty etc with it or the clutch?

Hi, well done on the miles to date, I bought a A2 TDI 18 months ago that had had two previous owners, the first one put 95K miles on it in the first 2 years then the guy I bought it off took it to 272,200 miles at which point the clutch gave up
In his ownership he serviced it, changed the timing belt every 80K miles or 5 years (it was ALWAYS on the 5 years), changed the front disks and pads (pads more than once), a starter motor at 246K Miles and numerous sets of tyres. The battery was also changed at 12 years old, but he gave me the old one and it still works perfectly, I suspect it was the common earth problem and not the battery at all.
when the timing belt was changed he always changed the water pump, belt and tensioners
fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, oil all at recommended intervals

Car is currently on 288,600 miles and sorn'ed because I bought a TDI project that I then fell in love with
There is a little paint work to sort out over the winter then it will be offered for sale on this excellent forum
I am somewhat torn as I would have loved to have taken her to the 300K miles.

I changed the clutch for another LUK clutch, the spinner plate on the new clutch as 1.6mm of material to the rivets, the old spinner still had 0.6mm left, so at least another 100K miles had the release bearing not failed

I changed the oil in the gearbox and the stuff that came out was not good, but since the oil change the gear change is improved. insistently it still returns 65mpg on a motorway run and I got 72mpg when I went to A2steves (420 mile run on mainly A roads, and I was not hanging about)

I can supply a pair of replacement dip stick end that you super glue onto the wire having first removed the old plastic ends remains
I have had one on my TDI for 18 months and no issues to date
Drop me a PM if you want a pair

Cheers,
Paul
PS I also do other 3D printed parts (Google A2Oc 3D printed) and re manufactured door check straps
anything to keep these excellent little aluminium cans on the road :p

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum,
I’ve had similar failures with my 1.4 amf engined tdi
Most recently the rear bearing started to moan, so armed with 2 new FAG bearing assemblies & new Brembo drums, shoes & wheel cylinders were fitted as others were original items.
Thinking about it logically the rear bearings will have done a similar amount of work as the fronts.

HTH
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back