Can I replace battery without looking up radio code?

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
I’ve got the new battery here ready to be dropped in but wanted to check if there is anything I need to do before I take old battery out?

Radio code? If so how do I find it?

Argh... I miss the good old days working on my ‘68 Dodge Charger...

I changed my battery over a few weeks ago and was surprised to find I didn't have to input the radio code :)

Last edited:
You may still need the radio code for an older A2 - don't assume you don't.

If you've got some jump leads, you could always rig up a bridge to the new battery before disconnecting the old one, so there's no loss of power.

Clamp the jump leads to the loosened terminals on the car cabling and then to the new battery, which you can put in the boot next to the old one and to one side. Then when you've removed the car cables from the old battery and moved the old one out, you can lift the new one in and pop the terminals back on. It's easier with an assistant, but doable on your own.

I’m pretty sure I unplugged the power from my Audi stereo when I installed the Bluetooth adapter...

But I could be mistaken...

Worse case scenario my stereo is a brick until I get code? Or will it forever be dead?

Thanks guys...

I don’t have any jumper cables but I might order some... failing that if need be I’ll just swap the battery out and hope for the best... more important car starts so I can pickup the kids...

Feeiling I’ll and gotta work tonight so going to take a nap now...

-=sigh=-

Thanks guys...

I don’t have any jumper cables but I might order some... failing that if need be I’ll just swap the battery out and hope for the best... more important car starts so I can pickup the kids...

-=sigh=-

yours is an early A2 and they do not “remember” the code but if you need the code you can get it from an Ebay seller that advertises that service. Normally very cheap and very reliable.

Steve B

how old are we talking when the radio code is lost ?
I took the concert one out of my y reg A2 and it was sat in the workshop in box for over 10 months, then I bought the silver 51 plate TDI and it had the same concert one radio, but the display was not functional, so i changed the radio for the one out of the Y plate A2. It worked immediately no code requested.
Timmus was slightly surprised by this as he expected it to want a code
Do I just have a maverick concert one :)

cheers

The rough rule of thumb is pre-CAN implementation really - so anything pre-2002 or thereabouts. There's always exceptions to rules though and it looks like you are proof of this.

Thanks guys...

-=sigh=-

Many people have the "battery power pack" type of unit. You can use that if you have one.

All you need is a 12v supply, it doesn't need to have much current, you only need it to be enough to retain the memory settings.

Steve B

Back