A2 going through midlife crisis

chubuking

Hi folks, the A2 seems to be going through a mid life crisis of its own at the moment.

I have had to replace the throttle housing, the driver side wheel bearing and the drop links within the last 2 months. With 75k on the clock I still think it has plenty of life in the engine, and it sounds as smooth as ever, but unfortunately I seem to be going through a phase where everything is starting to fall apart! Like for instance I am having a second passenger window fixed today which shortly broke after having the opposite side fixed not so long ago!:confused:

I was wondering if any of you guys have experienced something similar?

Are there any major parts that have known to be particularly prone to becoming faulty that I should keep an eye out for?

There's very little that goes wrong with a TDI if it's been serviced regularly. The fuel release button will break, the door check straps will wear, you may have issues with the wiper motor etc but they are all small issues.

Yours will be the 75 bhp model so no dmf to worry about and the turbos go on for a long long time.

I would imagine the intercooler will pop before long but it can be very cheap to replace as well as more expensive performance options.

A 12 year old TDI 75 should be just as economical to run as a few year old modern car in my mind. An FSI would be a completely different ball game.

There's very little that goes wrong with a TDI if it's been serviced regularly. The fuel release button will break, the door check straps will wear, you may have issues with the wiper motor etc but they are all small issues.

Yours will be the 75 bhp model so no dmf to worry about and the turbos go on for a long long time.

I would imagine the intercooler will pop before long but it can be very cheap to replace as well as more expensive performance options.

A 12 year old TDI 75 should be just as economical to run as a few year old modern car in my mind. An FSI would be a completely different ball game.

Thanks for that Steve, I will keep my eye on those things you listed then, and I do agree that the fuel economy is still very acceptable compared to that of a more modern car.

With regards to the issue with my rear passenger window it turned out that the garage ordered in the wrong part and now I'm stuck with a window that keeps falling down! I saw on a few older posts that you were selling door frame parts. Do you still have those parts to hand?

With regards to the issue with my rear passenger window it turned out that the garage ordered in the wrong part and now I'm stuck with a window that keeps falling down! I saw on a few older posts that you were selling door frame parts. Do you still have those parts to hand?

Yes, I have rear window frames here. Do you require an electric one or windy handle?

Yes, I have rear window frames here. Do you require an electric one or windy handle?

It would be an electric one, and how easy are these to fit on Steve? I've tried having a look at the previous rear window panel myself and it looks a right mess to get into without any instructions.

It would be an electric one, and how easy are these to fit on Steve? I've tried having a look at the previous rear window panel myself and it looks a right mess to get into without any instructions.

Have a look on the how-to guides on here for how to change a door Micro switch. It's basically the first couple of stages of that.

I supply non electric ones for £15, but electric ones are harder to come by so are £35 plus postage. This is for the whole frame including the glass.

Back