A21.4 Service flap catch (Project Noir)

thestable

The service flap on the car seems to have been broken some how on the car and fixed by plugging it all up with Blutack to make the latch catch...

Any idea of a fix or anyone have a spare release hook that I could buy and fit.

To be honest i've not looked at how it's all constructed properly but hopefully it won't need to replace the whole flap and latch.

Anyone else had something similar?... Minus the Blutack 'repair'

CHEERS!

The service flap on the car seems to have been broken some how on the car and fixed by plugging it all up with Blutack to make the latch catch...

To be honest i've not looked at how it's all constructed properly but hopefully it won't need to replace the whole flap and latch.

CHEERS!

Look in the 3D printed parts thread. I made a replacement service flap catch for a member. I have sold a good few since and from memory have a printed one in stock if not can print you one tonight
Drop me a pm if you like
Cheers Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHEERS!

I've got a spare one still fastened to a service flap...

I saw a 3D printer today that extrudes carbon-fibre and plastic for extra strength. Tempted to build one of those?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw a 3D printer today that extrudes carbon-fibre and plastic for extra strength. Tempted to build one of those?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can print carbon fibre filament on my 3D printer
It is simply chopped strands of CF mixed with the plastic abs only issue is the CF is abrasive and so it wears the nozzle hence you need a stainless steel not brass nozzle and they still wear then but not as much
Not convinced that it adds much as the 3D printed part is weakest at the layers and this is not improved with the CF filament

The printer used a continuous CF filament along with the ABS/CF mix which apparently gives the strength. Presumably two nozzles are involved but there wasn’t any additional info.

no worries a replacement 3D printed service flap catch was put in the post this morning and is winging its way to London
Once fitted all will be well again

cheers

Well i recieved the 3d printed part from Depronman. incredible! first 3d printed thing i've seen. very interesting. However, trying to open the service flap I think i've just snapped the cable as it's not opening and there is no tension on the release handle in the cockpit... I have read that this could have been twisted some how so will check that on the weekend. otherwise anyone got any suggestions of a fix? or replacement cable going cheap??

So far i've not had much good luck with fixing anything on this car myself other than the petrol release button!!! I'll never make a good engineer thats for sure!

Try getting someone to pull and release the handle while you try and "Jiggle" the flap (but I thought your catch was broken so the flap release would do nothing anyway surely?

Also make sure that the handle and cable are still connected, the handle just attaches to a clip that is connected to the cable.

Steve B

SteveB is referring to the release handle that you pull with a finder under the steering wheel, the handle slides in the lower trim panel and attached to a plastic part that is attached to the car itself. When refitting the lower trim panel the pull handle and this plastic part need to be located together, else the bonnet catch is not moved when the release lever is pulled. This is the first thing to check, if this is in order, then the next likely failure will be the catch slider which is attached to the service flap housing with a couple of torx screws, once these are removed the catch slider and the cable can be easily removed from the engine side. It is not unknow for this assy to be clogged up with grease and grit, give it a good clean and spray it with a lot of WD40 until it frees up, then apply some engine oil and get it worked into the slider and catch.
There is only about 6mm movement on the catch slider, hence the need to adjust the 3D printed catch that I sent you correctly, too loose and it will not latch the service flap, too tight and it will not release the service flap (it's not difficult to get it right, start off loose and adjust a little at a time until the service flap is held just right)
cheers,

Cheers folks that sorted it!

The puller in the footwell had just come un attached from the plastic fixing so linked that back up, prized open the bonnet flap and had at it with degreaser, whilst that was soaking i swapped over the catch to Depronmans 3d printed one. sprayed a load WD40 on the flap mech after wiping away degreaser, gave it a fiddle for a bit (ooohh eeerrr!!) put the bonnet on, adjusted the 3d printed latch so closed correctly. BINGO! job done for today. However I've seen mould growing in battery compartment and battery area had water in it... I've removed the wind deflectors incase that was the cause of it. I'll have to do some reading up tonight on that if not it's an investigation i can have this weekend and whack in a load of silica gels to dry the boot out a bit.

Thanks for your help!

great that you got there with a simple fix for service flap release

The water in the batter compartment is most likely the 'vents' behind the rear bumper, they are troublesome, easily sorted but means removing the rear bumper which is a fair bit of work

cheers,

My first a2 let in water around the back lights too. The spongy seal against the paintwork had gone hard and failed. Removing them and reinstalling with a bead of silicone solved that one.

Watch for your carpet and under rear seats getting soggy, can get a bit mouldy there too.

Tony.

My first a2 let in water around the back lights too. The spongy seal against the paintwork had gone hard and failed. Removing them and reinstalling with a bead of silicone solved that one.

Watch for your carpet and under rear seats getting soggy, can get a bit mouldy there too.

Tony.
Thanks Tony,

It was the vent/seal on the drivers side behind the rear bumper was hanging out basically. It was the mould in the rear carpets that alerted me to something being wrong. Fingers crossed all good now! and not too an expensive fix with just a couple of hours graft and 1 Torx driver!

Back