Gear Knob

A2DK

Hi, just wondering if the gear knob is easy to remove on the A2s and will most other makes fit? Got an eye on a momo one, whats the difficulties if any?

The shaft is splined at the top to stop the knob rotating. The knob is held on by a metal crimp ring (can be replaced with a cable tie or similar).
The only problems I can forsee are matching the knob, gaiter & lower mounting ring which clips into the centre console. Our replacement Audi knob & gaiter were a git to get together.

Hi A2DK,

I replaced the standard Audi gear knob and gaiter on my A2 before Christmas with Momo equivalents and I can honestly say it was an easy job.

As Rob has said, the gear knob and gaiter are both one unit and are easily removed by cutting the metal ring which secures them to the gear lever itself. To gain access to this metal ring, all you need to do is to remove the outer ring which attaches the base of the leather gaiter to the cars body, using a flat blade screwdriver and lift up the gaiter. [The outer ring is either black or chrome depending on your vehicle spec].

I purchased a Momo ‘Tomahawk’ gear knob together with a Momo ‘Endurance Gaiter’. [This gaiter comes complete with a ‘threaded’ ring which screws onto the gear knob for a better finish. The gear knob itself is held in place by three ‘Allen key bolts’].

The only problem that I encountered was that the base of the ‘new’ gaiter did not attach to the outer ring which held the original to the cars body. I replaced my ‘black’ ring with a new ‘chrome’ one, [although you can separate the original from the old gaiter with a bit of brute force] and I have just tucked the bottom of the new gaiter into the hole and replaced the ring to finish off the look.

I am pleased with the end result and the whole job took about 15 minutes to complete.

I have some before and after pictures, together with a shot of the ‘metal ring’; before it was removed, if you would like to see them. Drop me an email and I will forward them to you.

Hope this helps and makes sense. Good luck!!

Regards,

Darren

Back