A2 Tdi Glow Plug Warning Light

Got in the car to go to work this morning. Starting the car as normal (waited the few seconds for the glow plug light to go out before starting ignition) pulled out of drive, down the road and turned on to a busy road. Straight into traffic but then when I went to pull away in first gear to go the few metres till the traffic stopped again the power just died on me Took car out of gear and back into gear and again very little power. The car would move but the rev's would not go up and i could only do 2-3 mph MAX! Looked at dash board and my Glow Plug light was flashing! Thought glow plugs must be dirty or knackered (I had a full Audi service in November!) So managed to pull over (Very slowly!!) turned the car off and consulted the manual.

According to the manual this is a default mode the car goes into if there is an engine management error!!!????? BOLL*CKS!!!

So I left the car for a few mins and thought id try again. Started her up and let the car tick over for 2-3 minutes. Then I drove down a quite road to see if it happened again. The light did not show and since then I have spent 30mins in slow traffic and driven 30 miles to work (motorway)

What is going on then? Was the engine just cold? (was about 3 degrees on the read out) Maybe a bit of think Diesel in the system?? I don't no but I hope that it is not the engine management!!

Has anyone heard of this before or experienced the same

your time is very much appriciated

Hi
I just ran a search on 'glow plug warning light' and found one post relating to this problem. Turned out to be a faulty brake light switch! Applying the brakes trims the fuelling so if your brake light switch stuck on momentarily, it may be possible to get the fault described.

Cheers Spike

I have had the busted brake switch problem. Mine was replaced by a Audi Roadside Assist chappy - but Skipton tells me it's fairly simple to change yourself.

Ben.

Thanks for the response.

So am I right in saying that it is a light bulb that is at fault here? Or some sort of light control switch? I can see that this might have been activated by me braking. And also last weekend I replaced my N/S rear light cluster (it had a crack in it) but when I did so I used the same bulb holding bracket that you put the socket into and only changed the cluster. If that makes any sense!!

Some advice on what to do would be great. Since it has happened I have made 2, 30 mile journeys without any signs of the warning light. I also spoke to the Audi Dealer who serviced my car and I got the "well you will have to bring the car in for a diagnostic check"

Not for £94 if I can avoid it!!

Thanks again

That position on a petrol A2's dash has an engine symbol. On the diesel it is the glow plug but the computer still sends any warning messages or flashes to the same spot on the dash. So a flashing glow plug light does not ONLY mean engine problem or brake lights or indeed has it anything to do with the glowplugs!!!!!! It could be anything wrong with the computer hence the manual telling you to take the car to the dealer to have it checked with their computer.

Three times in my own experience it was the brake lights yes, but that is by no means the only thing this flashing light points to!

Back