Glovebox

S

SimonB

Hi another newbie here!! I have just traded my Scooby for a 2003 1.6 FSI Sport. I love the car but have one annoying niggle. The glovebox will not shut properly. The catch engages on the right side but not the left. On further investigation the lefthand catch is broken. Is there a way to get to the internal mechanism of the glove box lid or is it a sealed unit? Any ideas on how to change the lid completely or is it megabucks? Any help appreciated thanks.

Si

Mine don't shut properly either. It keeps opening when i go over bumps.
It does shut but opens very easily with the slightest of touches.
Apparently i need a new glove box which is £290.
It doesnt bother me that much.lol
i might take it apart and put it back together.

Hi Si
The glovebox and lid are sold as a unit and only the catch and screws etc are available as spares - see link attached
http://etka.auto2.ru/au/A2/2002/248/56/3105145/
To take out the glovebox, the trim panel which extends around the passenger side door opening and into the footwell needs to be removed first.

Cheers Spike

Spike
Many thanks for the info. Any idea how much for a new one? Also do you know anywhere I can get a secondhand one? Once again many thanks for your help.

Si

Simon
Sorry I can't help with prices or a source of second hand spares. The club have negotiated discount on spares from Vagparts so why don't you e.mail them for a price. If you decide to order, take great care in specifying the correct colour as there are 3 or 4 shades to pick from.

Cheers Spike

Adding to Spike's contri don't forget there is a torx screw hidden behind the coin holder, the holder just pulls out, had a b****r of a job taking mine out till I found this out!

Back