Ashtray Removal?

Aikon

Past Member
Any ideas how to remove the ashtray? Mine doesn't spring open and I'm wondering if I can repair it?

Well I solved it!

1. Remove the ashtray liner, unclip the strip of trim below the climate panel and remove the 2xT25 bolts
  2. Withdraw the ashtray and unclip the internal light plug from the rear of the ashtray assembly which leaves just enough loose wire to complete the job
  3. With the ashtray open, put a finger behind the spring roller, unfurl it a short way and hold it there
  4. Then with your other hand or some needle nose pliers grab the end of the spring from inside the ashtray and pull it gently to where it clips into the roof of the ashtray right at the front
  5. Job done, Re-assemble!

When the A2 goes back on Thursday they'll find two of the jobs already done!

Aikon said:
Any ideas how to remove the ashtray? Mine doesn't spring open and I'm wondering if I can repair it?
Hi!.
Jossi here when I got my used A2 from Germany the ashtray already was broken. There is a "wind-up/clock spring" at the back of the tray that may be broken or out of place.You say not spring open, does it open at all?
Well if so just take away a CM of the black plastic just above tray (it will not be seen when closed) remove the 2 screws an take the whole tray-unit out .Then se what you can mend or not . I bought the tray-unit as spare part .The light is out of order in my tray ,could not find any cable detached.
Good luck.
Jossi

Been a long time since I posted, but just wanted to add my 2p worth to this thread. Aikon's instrctions are good but there are a couple of additions I would like to make as I have just completed the same ashtray removal.

1. The removal of the black plasric beneath the climate panel means you will have to break it. Put your fingers underneath the lower lip and wrench it off. Warning .. do NOT wrench off the trim on the trinket tray!!!! Not delicate but it works. You won't miss it but you could add a blanking panel later. This plastic reveals the two screws.

2. When latching the roller spring I found it much easier to remove the roller off the two lugs that keep it in place, then wrap a piece of copper wire around the shaped tongue that would clip into the ashtray. Feed the wire through to the front of the ashtray, and clip the roller back into place. Pull on the wire until the spring is at the front. Hold the spring with your finger or pliers and remove the wire. Clip the spring into place.

Voila! Thanks for previous contributors for you help

ash tray

can you remove the ash tray by first removing the stereo, then climate control......to access the fixing screws that hold the ash tray in place..???
I dont like the sound of breaking any of the trim as previously mentioned.
The spring on mine has broken .....can audi supply a spring or is it a new ash tray.....??

As for the light.my light was out and then i found that a wire had come adrift..quick solder then it works ok but cannot get it back in place !!

any ideas ??
thanks

ash tray

have now got the ash tray out....pulled out the storage shelf ( broke one of the metal clips ( not a major problem ) found that the spring had not broken but had become unattached !!! save a bit of money !
which way does the spring wind over the drum?

does it roll over the top or come from underneath?
many thanks
simon

You only need to remove the tray above! But it is hard to remove(needs a lot of force to get this out so you can remove the radio and push from the back! But there is no need to remove the climate panel.
There are two screws right above the astray you need to remove than you can pull out the ashtray.

Is there a semi-elegant way to either remove ashtray completely thereby making more space for junk in tray below

Or putting a shelf in the ashtray space?

Probably not but I'd thought I'd ask...

Back