Oil Filter and Air filter locations

Hi All,

A new joiner here hoping to glean some info if poss!
Does anyone know where the oil filter and the air filters are under the bonnet of a TDI Audi A2 (2001)? Photos would be great if possible..
I'm hoping to save some hard earned ££ by changing them myself...

Many thanks in advance!

Hi

The air filter its located under the Drivers side engine bay, close to the Wheel.

You would need to raise the car and remove the 12 to 15 torx bolts securing the undertray.

Then you should see the base of the filter housing, i think its secured with 3 bolts 10mm approx.

I only know because i replaced the standard filter with a K&N filter recently

hope this helps Emm

Hi Nobbynutbags
Welcome to the A2oc
The oil filter housing is on the front side of the engine, facing the radiator and underneath the valve cover noise panel . It's not the usual 'spin-on' filter but a replaceable element which requires removal of a black plastic cap which has a large hex head (spanner size is 32mm I think)
Emm's description of the air filter removal is spot on. As he says, you need to jack up the car or have it over a pit to gain enough clearance for removal of the air filter element.
If you do a lot of your own spanner-work I suggest you contact one of our club members, skipton01, who normally has parts and workshop manual CD's for sale.

Cheers Spike

oil filter locations

I've been looking at www.westfalia.net, (oil suction pump) and they sell a pump to suck out your old oil through the dipstick access, £24.99. Looks interesting, and thats how the stealers do it. Anyone used one? At least it shows that the dipstick hole has at least one use, cos it's no good for checking oil level.

Hi hollyrescue
Problem with these pumps is they tend to leave the last half litre or so of dirty oil in the sump which then contaminates the fresh stuff. On the positive side they make the job quicker and minimise the handling of dirty oil which is a health risk. Also ideal for boat engines where you usually cannot acess the drain plug.

Cheers Spike

Hi

The air filter its located under the Drivers side engine bay, close to the Wheel.

You would need to raise the car and remove the 12 to 15 torx bolts securing the undertray.

Then you should see the base of the filter housing, i think its secured with 3 bolts 10mm approx.

I only know because i replaced the standard filter with a K&N filter recently

hope this helps Emm

Is the air filter in the same place on the 1.6 FSi ?
sounds like a tricky job :confused: any estimates on how long to complete ?

Hi T&T
I have not worked on the 1.6 FSi but am fairly sure the air filter is in the same place as the TDi. Time to replace depends on easy access to the underside of the car but if you have enough room to get underneath to remove the undertray then another 30 min should more than cover the air filter change, even for a first timer - say 1 hour in total.

Cheers Spike

Gottlieb

The under tray on the 1.4 petrol is a tad more difficult than has been stated. There are two difficult to reach nuts on either side up in the wheel arch which also hold the under tray in place. Sometimes these are broken or diificult to remove and you need an extension to a box spanner.

The under tray on the 1.4 petrol is a tad more difficult than has been stated. There are two difficult to reach nuts on either side up in the wheel arch which also hold the under tray in place. Sometimes these are broken or diificult to remove and you need an extension to a box spanner.

All A2 undertrays have these 2 nuts, not just the petrol. However, on later models, the nuts are replaced by a bolt, so you take the full bolt out, as opposed to taking a nut off a captive threaded stud.

Cheers,

Mike

Rats. i changed the oil last week and there was nothing holding the undertray in the wheelarch. I guess that means I've got a couple of bolts missing. :mad:
I didn't notice any holes on the undertray that they might pass through though.

I did have one broken retainer. Went to the dealers to buy a few and found they have to be ordered in. I presume the dealers are breaking them all the time. It makes no sense to not have them as a stock item.

Andy

Had a look at my FSi and correct mr if im wrong i believe my oil filter is screw on with a hex head on it

oh and how tricky is the valve noise cover to get off as this seems to block off access to the filter

Cheers

oli

I just bought a pollen filter and an air filter, aware of where the pollen filter is located but not the air filter.

Found this thread in my search to find the air filter location, and in amazement at the size of the ******...

I don't have ramps or stands, so I'll be keeping hold of the filter until the car next gets on a ramp and get it changed then.

Thanks to those who previously answered the OP's question.

Back