Tesco 99 Ron Petrol

TallPaul

For all us petrol-A2 owners on here (especialy FSI owners!) Tesco's have now started to roll out the 99 ron petrol in most filling statons!!! :D

Here is a site which give current locations...http://www.greenergy.com/products/99_octane_locations.html

I've just filled up at tesco superstore in peterborough, and the car feels better already (previously running on Optimax) and it is a few pence a litre cheaper than optimax!

ULP said:
EVO did an article on the various fuels at the end of last year. They tried the usual Shell 95RON, Shell Optimax, BP Ultimate, Supermarket 95RON and Tesco 99RON in a Golf GTI and BMW M5.

All it showed was that one batch of any given fuel can be so variable from any other batch of the same product that saying X is better than Y was fruitless.

They found most variance in 95RON supermarket, and reckoned Tesco 99RON wasn't up to much at all.

In the end, they concluded the best thing to do was get fuel from a well-used forecourt; it seems stagnation of fuel reduces the RON rating so a well-used Tesco 95RON pump would give better quality than a Optimax pump out in the sticks...

They also advised using Optimax every so often (4th tank from what I remember) because of it's qualities helping to clean a modern engine. We do that in the smart, and while it does nothing for the performance, it does improve the running of the engine ;)

I think it does depend alot on the car as to whether the fuel makes any difference, but my A2 FSI definatly runs better, and is noticably quicker on optimax/tesco 99ron. For a bog standard shopping car, and non performace engines, i would stick with 95ron, no point in putting the expensive stuff in, certain cars seem to love higher octane/ron fuels though, its just good to know we now have the choice of tesco 99ron aswell as optimax & ultimate for us super unleaded users. :D

Back