TT Gear Knob in A2

herusix

spike said:
Hi herusix
Just spotted that your car spec includes a TT gearknob. Was it easy to fit ? (I thought the TT and A2s clamping arrgt for the knob was completely different)

Cheers Spike
Hi Spike
Yeah the gearknob fitments are different,but with a bit of work it can be made to fit.
Basically you need to bore out the interior of the TT gearknob until it will fully slide down onto the original A2 selector shaft.
Then assemble the rest of the gearknob,alloy sleeve and gearboot.
Then to secure it all mix up some Araldite or similar pour it into the Gearknob and maybe coat the top 2inches of exposed gear selector and then slide the whole lot into place,centre it all up and leave to set.
I know this will make future removal difficult but the gearknob is fully secure.
I have attached some photos of how it looks.

Hi herusix
I finally got round to fitting a TT gearknob. Rather than glue it directly to the gearstick, I used a standard A2 knob, removed the leather cover and cut off the ball end. The TT knob was bored out and the modified A2 knob glued in. All very fiddly but it can be removed / replaced just like the standard knob.
The latest 'find' on e.bay was the RS4 alcantra steering wheel which I fitted with a TT airbag. Although its fairly discrete, I'm not too keen on the RS4 badge and may look out for a S-line or similar replacement

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Spike

those alcantra wheels start to look real shabby later on. I had CSL one in my BMW and it was just shocking about 6 months. You dont realised how much better a leather wheel wears.

Back