Alloy Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

asimov

I purchased a new A2 1.6 Sport last november with the standard sport alloy wheels. todate I have replaced both the front tyres and wheels at a cost of somee 800 quid I wonder if anyone else has had similar problems. Audi say that they have had no problems with them.

Richard

What was the reason?. You didn't kerb them that much did you!.

Welcome to the forum!.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

No I didn't kerb them, Its just the bloody state of the roads. A very
expensive problem !!!

So just from pot holes?. Blimey, some potholes where you drive!. Ever thought of persuing the local council for the cost?.

So what was the damage-bent or very badly dented/marked/chipped?.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

Both Alloys slightly bent on the inside edge and tyre split, my local Audi
dealer will only offer to exchange them with a set of a Se model which I not
keen to do as they are not as smart also they won't refund me the difference
in cost which I estimate about £500.

I believe that that the tyre fitted 205/40/R17 are to low profile for our
current road conditions. I have a 4Motion Golf which has 195/55 tyres and I've had no problems with it over the last 2 years.

At this rate it will cost me abt £ 10,000.00 a year in new Wheel & Tyres.

I pointed out to Audi that the description for the Sport model does not state the size of tyre only the wheel size.

I am trying to get compensation from the council also I am taking legal advise about the lack of description/warning with using these ultra low profile tyres.

I've a 1.4 TDi Sport which I got in September. No problems with the wheel or tyres as yet, but have had problems with the wheels wearng thru the wires that lead to the ABS sensors, any problems there?

And good for you! Most of us are too easily fobbed off with feeble excuses, so go get 'em!

Fi

2002 TDi Sport Cobalt Blue

RS6 and other 'expensive' audi models suffer a similar fate to the relatively 'soft' special wheels. Quite a well documented problem.

icon_smile_cool.gif

I've just bought an ex-demo FSI SE.
Nice car, Ebony Black with red nappa leather.
I really wanted 17" rims but after reading this I'm not so sure. Anyone got a set for sale?

I think you need 205/65...

Some think I am genius,
Others just can't think...

maersk - it was the RS4 that had the 'soft' alloys. I don't think Audi will get into the same situation with the RS6.
I think most RS4 owners ended up with a complete new set of 'strengthened' wheels (same pattern). However they had paid circa £50k for the car inthe first place. Audis line was that the wheel was designed to bend in sever conditions to avoid even more costly damage to the suspension - nice answer.

Dave

1.6SE

I've got the 1.6fsi sport, the wheels are a nightmare the tyres seems to low and cave inwards! I've scratched x2 and I try really hard to miss pot holes, are they covered by insurance? When I'll need new tyres I am going to try to find some bigger ones, or atleast ones that don't cave inwards. I saw some on a beetle the other day, same Audi 17" alloys but bigger wheels. All the trouble I stille think that they make the A2 look great. Is the suspension lowered on the sports? Does this make the car lower to the ground than a standard A2?

A2 1.6fsi sport climate cd amulet red

Apparently so. It has "sports suspension" I was told, slightly lower and firmer. I test drove just about all the models and the sport was definitely a harder ride and cornered better. I've scratched 2 wheels also. Under my insurance, Churchill, they are covered, just the excess to pay.

Fi

2002 TDi Sport Cobalt Blue

quote:Originally posted by Potato

I've got the 1.6fsi sport, the wheels are a nightmare the tyres seems to low and cave inwards! I've scratched x2 and I try really hard to miss pot holes, are they covered by insurance? When I'll need new tyres I am going to try to find some bigger ones, or atleast ones that don't cave inwards. I saw some on a beetle the other day, same Audi 17" alloys but bigger wheels. All the trouble I stille think that they make the A2 look great. Is the suspension lowered on the sports? Does this make the car lower to the ground than a standard A2?

quote:Originally posted by mlarner

I've just bought an ex-demo FSI SE.
Nice car, Ebony Black with red nappa leather.
I really wanted 17" rims but after reading this I'm not so sure. Anyone got a set for sale?

I have just ordered a new tdi sport and would be open to offers on this new set when the car arrives [circa 6-8 weeks] as I have other plans for my little baby.

As I am used to ultra low profiles from previous cars [18/19" wheels with 30/35 profile tyres and rock hard suspension] I have learnt how to deal with the bad roads in the UK,, most of you will find that by pursuing the local council is a worthwhile adventure and I have previously got two lots of £500 out of our council.. Just document everything photographically and hit them,, their insurance company usually pays up especially if there is the threat of a personal injury claim due to bad road conditions,, bit like slipping on the damaged pavement..

[email protected]

How much would you want for them?

Will consider all sensible offers, I recon that they are charging me a good £800+ for something that I don't really need as I will be using a set of 18" aftermarket rims.

quote:Originally posted by EF MAX

How much would you want for them?

Will consider all sensible offers, I recon that they are charging me a good £800+ for something that I don't really need as I will be using a set of 18" aftermarket rims.

Has it happens AUDI charge £223 + vat plus tyres per wheel.. not as cheap as I thought..

I'm due to take delivery of a 1.6FSI sport on 1st March. Having read all the woes (and seen plenty of evidence at the dealers) I have specified the wheels and tyres from the SE. They don't look as good but I think the greater practicality is worth the trade-off. Had any experience with the "sport" suspension with the 16" rims?

quote:Originally posted by asimov

I purchased a new A2 1.6 Sport last november with the standard sport alloy wheels. todate I have replaced both the front tyres and wheels at a cost of somee 800 quid I wonder if anyone else has had similar problems. Audi say that they have had no problems with them.

Richard

I dore a demo with that set up recently.
It was awful.
The handing suffered because it bounced around so much on the low profile rubber.#
Looked nice, shame about the dynamics.

icon_smile_cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back