How do I reset service indicator

bdub

Hi All,
Any one how to reset longlife service intervals on 2003 1.6FSI. The auto data book says diagnostic equipment only to reset longlife servicing but I was wondering if you can do it with VAGCOM

cheers

You can do it with VAG-COM, but why would you want to? If it's been serviced, then the service agent should have carried out a reset.

did the service and hence need to turn out the indicator - how do you do it in VAGCOM?

Mike it's Brendan here - finnally loaded up the disks you sent - amazing - thanks very much.

Hi Brendan, glad you got the manuals sorted. They are pretty amazing and the answer to your reset question is in there too.

For a quicker answer, take a look here:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audi_sri.html

This webpage describes the reset procedure in detail. Note that you need a full version of VAG-COM and a genuine interface to carry out the procedure.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers Mike - I have full version but got the Interface lead off ebay - does that mean it won't work? Thought about trying it but don't want to do any damage. Does use of a non standard interface mean damage, or just that it won't work?

Cheers

bdub said:
Cheers Mike - I have full version but got the Interface lead off ebay - does that mean it won't work? Thought about trying it but don't want to do any damage. Does use of a non standard interface mean damage, or just that it won't work?

Cheers

Try it - you won't do any damage, but the probability is that you won't be able to alter the necessary values with the non-genuine lead.

Mike

I wonder if vagcom will let me switch to interval servicing? - i could reset it this way then spike.

Cheers

Hi bdub
Have you managed to reset the service indicator yet.
If i'm reading your last mail correctly and you have access to the genuine VagCom interface cable, then you can use this to reset to either fixed or variable service intervals.
Even using the top spec oil, many people - including me - think the oil should be changed at 10,000 miles or yearly, whichever comes first.

Cheers Spike

Nah not got genuine interface so it wouldn't work. Could see the values but they would not alter - how much is a gen interface? anyone know / got one for sale?

Easy, no need for vag com. Put key in ignition, hold down, odo reset button. Turn ignition on then press and hold the other button next to the rev counter till display reads ok. Now service interval is reset.

Easy, no need for vag com. Put key in ignition, hold down, odo reset button. Turn ignition on then press and hold the other button next to the rev counter till display reads ok. Now service interval is reset.

That works just fine, apart from feeling like I was having a game of Twister with my arms as my natural way is to keep the right hand free to turn the key and hold the button with the left hand, of course it all went tits-up when I then tried to hold the other button down with my right hand and my forearms got wedged in the steering wheel...doh

Many thanks

Last edited:
Hi

I just had to do this on my wife's car last night. (The mechanic forgot to reset it)
The fact that it resets it to a fixed yearly service type rather than a long life service is ideal, the car is getting on a bit now and so a yearly service is much better anyway (with the odd oil and filter change mid year at least)

i have the full VCDS of course but this process is so simple it is not worth connecting it for this.

One thing I wasn't sure if was would this process work on a car with DIS and it does.

One tip is to put the key in, press the trip reset with your right hand and then turn the ignition on with your left hand. That leaves your left hand free to press the "clock setting" button for a second or two while you are still holding the trip down.

Job done!!

it goes without saying, but I will say it anyway. ONLY do this if your car has actually been serviced. If the service warning is annoying you and you haven't had it serviced yet, then get it serviced. It is false economy to ignore it or reset it without a service.

Now added to the "How To" "Index" Thread (Worth a read!) A list of some of the "How To's" and useful threads

Steve B

Last edited:
Back