UK's only 1.2 A2?

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
According to this article http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/audi_a2_tdi.php (possibly written in 2003) a chap by the name of Lukas Willcocks owns the only known UK example of an 1.2 A2. Is he a member and does he still have the vehicle?

According to the DVLA data I have there are 3 x 1191 cc A2 TDi and 1 x 1166 A2 FSE SE (not too sure what the cc was for the 1.2) but as I said before the DVLA data is full of erroneous info particularly for the vehicle's cc. There are 29 different values from a toy car 14 cc to a monster 41,390 cc - now who's got that ;-)

The other, or possibly another, 1.2 TDi owner is Erling in South Wales. There is a Roger Jones too, but he's not posted in a while and may no longer be an active member.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Chaps and Chapesses,

Yes indeed still own the 1.2 TDI - brilliant little car! Only wish they were sold here 5 years ago. It was a bit of a struggle with insurance in 2002 but managed to get DVLA and ABI involved so now you can use the likes of Tesco's/RAC online sites and get very good value. I pay £299 fully comp with PNC.

81 to 86 g CO2 /km so Zero UK Road Tax another plus.

Averaging 96 mph on German Autobahn gave over 60 mpg - an she still pulls in 5th! Beat that Clarkson!

For £15 diesel (or bio diesel) you can still do well over 300 miles if you are careful.

Audi Driver magazine published an article (Apr 2006?) about Erling Lindoe's m/c - he bought one of the last ones off the production line. Gave him a few tips beforehand - maybe why the mag mentions it.

Andrew Fisher (Doncaster/Uxbridge) has had one since April 2003.

If you want any help importing one just email me somewhen.

Just took some pics alongside a new black Prius - maybe we'll get some mag interest for another article soon.

www.lukafoto.com

Hi Lukas

Many thanks for the update. Good on you to perserve with the ABI and DVLA :)

Between you and Skipton looks like you've tracked down the 4 x 1.2s

Erling's A2 1,2 TDI - New Aug 2005 (UK Reg Sept)

Hi all,

Yes goes like the wind...........and almost as green. Now covered 27K miles @ 87 mpg. Should be 30K by Sept.

1st Service not due to 30K (DIS says 32.6K) and I added first oil at 24K.

560 mile round trip to Cromer on English east coast last week recorded average speed of 43 mph - 'brimmed tank' fuel consumption confirmed at 96 mpg (DIS claimed 102 mpg!). Downhill can be scary when in freewheel and wanting to retain all freely won forward velocity!

Mine's got all the options I could get and still achieved 84 gm/km emission level at factory gate. So it's another ZERO RFL car, possibly exempt from London congestion charges too?

Bit of a b........r this heat, I've had to use climate control and this has increased diesel burn a little.

Missed the Audi Driver mag article - must try to get a back-copy. In exchange for words, they ran ad for my old A2 1.4 TDI - it sold immediately. See me on our Member list for photo of both A2s.

LHD is easy, even in an A2. I've driven LHD for yearss, as did better half through a five year Fiat Barchetta affair. Insurer's rip off policy holders - but not by large amount. Lukas got 1.2 TDI on insurer's data base, so that helped me when I got mine in 2005. Lukas also provided loads of useful information to help me out before I bought my car - as did Frido from the German A2 community.

Audi UK OK with warranty (tailgate lock failure repaired instantly) and no unique 1,2 TDI problems to date. Front N/S (driver for me!) wheel bearing getting noisy, but will wait a while before taking it to be fixed.

They're great little cars to drive, especially if you enjoy the challenge of minimising fuel burn on long fast journeys like mine. It's certainly slower than my 1.4 TDI, but only because I stick to de-restricted max speed limits and no longer cruise at 85 mph on motorways, dual carriageways and open A roads.

I'm not a total ecosaint - we run an A Class Merc Auto (boring....) and Mini Cooper S Works (exciting 220 bhp version) too.

Have just assembled most bits to fit SatNav RNS-E unit - including new Double Din dashboard. Waiting for cable sets and to find an Audi BT module, then I'll be busy!

Would I buy another 1.2 TDI - yes, absolutely yes.

Great to hear it's going well Erling

Options: The style package etc are similar to the normal A2 options. It really is worth spending a bit more to get powersteering and air con

The D4 has neither and is restricted to a fixed rear seat. The D3 has the normal removeable seats - very useful for carrying washing machines!

Tyres are inexpensive (about £40 each) and happen to be the same size as the 1960s Lancia Fulvia (145/80 R14)

Performance 40-60mph and through the gears is very close to the 1.4 TDI.

Motorway cruising at high speed is effortless - the better aerodynamics and lighter weigh really make a difference. She'll cruise at 100 mph on the autobahn without complaint. The 1.4 TDI is quicker off the line but for everyday motoring there's no point. Torque is the same as my old MR2!

Another 1.2 tdi owner
mine has power steering and aircon.
Zero tax and already uk registered
colour is Piemont Red Pearl
one of the last to leave the factory.

Last edited:
Hi Taz,

thanks for that.

With the 1.2 being so rare here it is good to see the visual differences that set this great car apart.

Steve B

A question for the1.2 owners

The yellow ring on the dash is obviously to give you MPH marks and I suppose is a "feature" of the 1.2 that is part of its character.

I would think that a swap to a MPH dash "card" would be easy enough. (either from a non-1.2 or even from the company I used to get my while dial faces)

Would this be sacrilege, to make such a change? I think I know the answer to that!
Steve B

hi
for my 1.2 tdi I have a list of extras that I have available to fit,
such as sky opening roof, devils eye headlights, heated red leather seats, also cruise control,
Bose set-up, but not sure if I want to do it all to a 1.2 tdi...

only time will tell, I have 5 other A2 aswell and all are TDI.

Good to hear Taz,

I would keep it as standard as possible but recommend UK DIS instrument cluster to give MPH and MPG readouts. Avoid the sun roof as no 1.2 TDI had this as an option and it just adds weight to a car Audi made as light as possible - Have you weighed the mag wheels?! Much more Ally on theses cars than other A2s. Rear spoiler is same as 1.6 FSI. Glass was also thinner.

Hello,
ive not weighed the mag wheels yet,
I'm trying to get hold of some original wheels caps, and not having much luck with audi stealers.

Taz

Back