6-Speed Gearbox

Skipton01

Admin Team
Well, I'm the proud owner of a low-mileage A3 gearbox.

It's a 6-speed manual box which will probably take me from now until the warranty expires (18 months!) to fathom out if it will fit.

If not, then no worries, it was only cheap and will easily return what I paid for it on Ebay.

If it does go, then great - I always find myself reaching for another gear on the motorway and hopefully, this will cure that problem.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike
That sounds like an interesting project.
It may be worth looking for a scrap A2 box for comparison - to check shaft sizes etc and work out if spacer plates etc are needed

Cheers Spike

I've done some preliminary investigation and the drive shafts are the same size at 108mm but the clutch plates are different with the A2s being 215mm and the A3s being 240mm.

The box also takes 300ml more oil too at 2.3l and I'm not too sure that the speedos are compatible - the A2 is listed as having a ratio of 0.591 as a speedo drive, whereas the A3 box is listed as electronic.

As I said, if it proves incompatible, then I'll just move it on again.

Cheers,
mike

Already been there and done that!

Well, thought it through anyway. With just 120bhp on tap, the Tank wheelspins for fun, even in 3rd when wet!

To make use of the power available from the 3.2 V6 would mean using Quattro and unfortunately, there's no room for the Haldex coupling under the A2.

I firmly believe that this could be the reason why Audi never produced an 'S' version of the car, but they had planned for one at the models inception, hence the reason you can get 'S2' complete badges (and no, they weren't for the old S2 because the type-face is different).

A 1.8T engine would really be as far as you could reasonably go in the A2. Pity really. Or I suppose you could refit an A2 body onto a TT chassis!

Hmmmmm............

Still think the 1.4 TSI engine sounds like fun... Sure it wouldn't be straight-forward whatever the transplant but the end result would definitely be interesting. Expect someone will have a go one day.

Has anyone ever considered dropping in the old polos G40 engine or maybe trying to fit the supercharger from that on to the stock 1400 petrol engine?
Are the bottom ends of both engines compatible.

Actually just thought on another potential engine swap,
what about the Lupo GTI engine and six speed box.
This kicks out 125bhp as standard and could obviously be tuned for a bit more.
The figures for this are 0-60 in 8seconds and a top end of 127mph,i'd imagine that the A2 being as light and slippery as it is could better these.
Surely this could be quite a straightforward swap.

Any takers?

You'll be lucky!

herusix said:
Actually just thought on another potential engine swap,
what about the Lupo GTI engine and six speed box.
This kicks out 125bhp as standard and could obviously be tuned for a bit more.
The figures for this are 0-60 in 8seconds and a top end of 127mph,i'd imagine that the A2 being as light and slippery as it is could better these.
Surely this could be quite a straightforward swap.

Any takers?

We have a Lupo GTi and although it's a very quick car around town there is no way it'll do 127mph. The rev-limiter cuts in at 117mph in top! When I spoke to VW Customer Services in Milton Keynes about this they said the National Speed Limit was 70mph so it wasn't a problem!!! (I had, of course, tried for vmax on a circuit).
A proper road test of a Lupo GTi I saw (as opposed to a re-write of press release etc.) also quoted a 117 max.
PS. Our GTi gives an average of 38mpg.

Hi George,

No progress at all - I've not even looked at the gearbox yet, never mind attempted any fit!

I probably won't be doing much about this for the next few months either - in fact it may be a better bet to get the ratios changed in the present gearbox and it might well be cheaper too!

Cheers,

Mike

Gearbox

Mike,

How about a box from the Polo BlueMotion? Not a 6 speed, but it has taller gears for 3rd, 4th and 5th? Not available in the UK yet, but it has been out for a while in Germany.

John.

I bought a brand new 1.4 16V engine with 101 BHP from a Polo on ebay. It is 100% identical til the A2 engine except for the diameter on the intake where it enters the air filter box and the exhaust manifold is slightly different.

Both things could be easiliy adapted, so an engine swap should be straight forward. However I haven't gotten around to doing anything yet about it.

The engine is for sale at 1300 Euro, so if anyone should be interested just drop me an email. And remember it is brand new with 0 km on it!!

Blue-new-eco-motion 'box

Mike,

How about a box from the Polo BlueMotion? Not a 6 speed, but it has taller gears for 3rd, 4th and 5th? Not available in the UK yet, but it has been out for a while in Germany.

John.

I know this is an old thread but......

.......what about the gearbox from a new Seat Ibiza Ecomotion?
It has a 1.4, 3-cylinder diesel engine, just like the diesel A2s but the gearbox, like the Polo Bluemotion, it's has better 3rd, 4th and 5th ratios for long distance motorway cruising.

I used my diesel A2 to travel from Glasgow to Eastbourne but due to poor 5th and a some tank, I have to fill up twice.
Yes at 77mph, 3000rpm is well sound-proofed but really, why can't it be revolving at 2000-2500?

Hi Kolo
There is a thread on the forum at the moment exploring replacing just the 5th gear ratio in the A2 'box for a taller one. Apparently the 5th gear cogs are easily accessible without removing the gearbox itself so it's a straight forward enough job.
There are many of us who are considering doing this - there's a potential group buy being pulled together to get a discount on the new cogs. Would certainly be cheaper and less complex than transplanting a whole gearbox!

It is possible to put a 6 speed gearbox in the A2. I know that because I did it myself.. :)

I'm currently driving around with a 6 speed gearbox from a Skoda Fabia RS. It has improved fuel efficiency with around 20% (lots of motorway driving), and runs 130 km/h at 2400 rpm.

It is possible to put a 6 speed gearbox in the A2. I know that because I did it myself.. :)

I'm currently driving around with a 6 speed gearbox from a Skoda Fabia RS. It has improved fuel efficiency with around 20% (lots of motorway driving), and runs 130 km/h at 2400 rpm.

Hi kitora
Can you tell us more about the gearbox installation. Was it a 'bolt on' conversion using VAG parts or did you need special gearbox mounts, modified clutch and driveshafts. Also, what about the gearchange mechanism, speedo calibration etc.

Cheers Spike

of corse the 6-Speed-Gearbox from the A3 will fit! All the 6 speedgearboxes are the same. only the ratio is different!
kitora.. how did you solf the problem with ur speedometer?

1.4 75HP and to the 1.4 101HP .. the internals are complilty different. the zylinderhead is different. for example the 100HP edition as hydraulic valve lifters and the 75HP has roller-type fingers. or the piston is made of aluminium in the 100HP edition, and and and ;)
my girlfriend drives a2 1.4 with 75HP and she wants more power.. because of that i informed me ;)

sorry for my english, im doing my best ;)

Back