How to change spark plugs on 1.6FSI

chb

Has anyone changed the sparkplugs on a 1.6FSI themselves?
If so what plugs (brands and model numbers) are recommended and what special tools are needed?

Any other info, such as a step by step guide would be appreciated.

Ta!

Hi CHB,
1,6FSI's don't use conventional spark plugs. You need coil packs, which are much more complex than spark plugs. In theory they should last longer too, but early components failed regularly. An updated version was introduced but I don't have the exact dates- but I do have the new versions and they are better. If your coil packs have failed the warranty period for these was extended to 5 years from first registration of the vehicle and you can have them replaced under guarantee at the dealers. If not I think they cost in the region of £72 each from Audi dealers, maybe less from VW/Skoda or SEAT.

My 1.6fsi has coil packs and spark plugs. Got specified plugs from GSF, although they had to order them in. To get them out, ease the connector from the coil packs, gently prise out the coil pack and use a small plug socket to remove the plugs.

Thanks for the answers so far.
So how long should the spark plugs and/or coil packs last for?
There is nothing wrong with the car, so this is all for routine maintenance.
Car was new in june 2003 and had extended life service in April 2005 at 14000 miles.
Currently the service indicator shows 3000 till next service and has done 21000 total, leading me to think that the service light was set to normal intervals.
I was thinking of replacing the oil in the next month and setting the service indicator for another 10k, then doing a proper service in 6 months after I have racked up 32000miles.

Coil pack should last til they go wrong - if they are working can't see any point in changing them.
as for plugs, my thoughts are, they should last at least 30k miles. My advice is take them out, inspect for cracking or degradation and check the gap ( 1,4mm from memory ) if they are ok put em back. or if you are flush with cash just replace.

Oil and filter is obviously a must though, do it regularly.

I believe in the ' if it aint broke don't try to fix it' course of action.

Back