O2 sensor fault 17589

Yet another problem with the A2...

Engine management light on now - have read the code through Vagcom as:

17589 Linear 02 Sensor / Reference Voltage Open Circuit

This came on yesterday and looks as if it is staying on now.

Can anyone advise which sensor this is and where it is located (1.4 petrol)? I can then get a part number and start checking some costs.

Thanks in advance

Hi monkeyfinger
The 17589 code relates to the lambda sensor fitted in the exhaust manifold before the cat (there is a second one fitted after the cat)
As you have access to diagnostic kit it would be worth obtaining a set of workshop manual discs. These list all the fault codes, locate the hardware and give troubleshooting info on each part - see link
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3521

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike - I have the full Elsawin, but was unable to find the full fault code listings and repair procedures. Can you advise how I can get to these in the software?
Thanks

Fault code listings are usually found in the relevant 'Self-diagnostics' section of ELSAwin, under the 'Fault Table' section.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi monkeyfinger
If you'r still struggling, this is the sequence I used to find the fault code data, starting from the main list in the workshop manual section
. engine mixture preparation
. mpi injection and ignition
. self diagnosis- electrical test
. fault table for vag codes 16486 ....
. fault codes for vag codes 17510....

. 24 mixture preparation, injection (for location and checking components)

my discs are version 3.00 I think so there may be some slight differences if you have later info.

Hope this helps Spike

Can I just confirm with those that know....it looks to me like the lambda sensor is fairly accessible in the manifold at the front of the engine. Access looks to be reasonable once the heat shield is removed - hopefully I'm looking at the correct part.

If anybody has changed the sensor before now, I'd appreciate any info regarding possible pitfalls etc.

Hi monkeyfinger
I have a diesel so don't have first hand experience of the petrol engine. Having looked at the manuals, your description sounds right so the only problem will be removing the sensor. I've done this on previous cars and the sensors are usually very tight. Don't try with an open ended spanner - use a ring key if the wiring connector will feed through the ring, otherwise you may have to get hold of a special cut-away socket to do the job. Failing that, a friendly Bosch agent may slacken the sensor for a nominal fee so you can finish the job at home. Just a thought, if it has a Bosch p/n he may be able to check, supply and fit it cheaper than you could get the part from Audi.

Cheers Spike

Cheers Spike

as spike saya use a ring spanner or you can get a socket that is made for the job and as spike says they are very tight put WD40 on it first

cheers
robin

Thanks guys - I know from experience that anything bolted into an exhaust manifold is usually rusted and/or very tight! ...I can smell that burning WD40 now.

Front O2 sensor replacement

I finally managed to change the sensor at the weekend - turned out to be a very easy 20 minute job.

I undid the 2 bolts securing the top of the exhaust heat shield, which allowed me to pull it forward and gain enough space to get a 22mm open ended spanner on the sensor. Amazingly, this was not tight at all. The plug connector pulls out of its bracket and then the two halves can be easily seperated. New sensor then screws in very easily, and everything is tightened up and re-connected.

A couple of minutes with Vagcom to reset the fault codes and all is back to normal - nice smooth running from cold, and no engine management light.

Back