New to the site...

a.2

hey guys, im new to the site and the whole forum thing so bear with me.
I currently do not have an A2 but will soon be in the position to purchase one....finally! anyhoo i am still unsure as to what engine spec i want. Naturally i want to go for the 1.6 fsi for that extra grunt, however it would mean i move into a higher tax bracket. Sooo if anyone has the 1.6 fsi or something smaller could you please give me some advise or personal opinion on what the difference really is...if any. And whether jumping the tax bracket is really worth it.

cheers guys

a.2:D

Hi there A.2 :) ,

I am also new to the site - I purchased my 1.6fsi Sport 2 weeks ago now and after driving the 1.4 TDI and the 1.4 petrol, I am very glad I got the 1.6.

If I had to get a 1.4 I would go for the Diesel, they were about the same for general driving, but I found the TDI a bit less stretched when hitting the motorway.

The running costs may be slightly higher for the 1.6, but as I came from a VW Bora 2.0 which eat fuel and Oil in equally large chunks the a2 is quite cheap to run from my perspective.

Although I always run the car on 98ron, I find it is still better value then running it on 95ron, it may cost very slightly more to fill the tank, but the improved fuel economy more then makes up for the extra cost.

I would recommend that you drive a least two of the same model if you can, I drove 7 different A2's before I found a cracker, a few I drove were complete dogs, and the forums on the A2OC really helped me when it came to knowing what to look for.

I hope this may be of help to you;) :D

Welcoem along.

I have owned a 1.4 petrol and now have a 1.6 Petrol. I have driven both oil burners.

I wouldnt buy a 1.4 petrol - I loved the A2, but hated the engine, it just wasnt good, I just didnt enjoy it. The Oilburners are great, far better than the 1.4 petrol and I found far better on longer journeys / motorways.

I ended up with a 1.6 because it felt pretty nippy, as said above really needs 98ROn - mine is averaging about 35mpg aroudn town with fairly spirited driving once warm, and on longer journey it returned well over 40mpg on its first long trip.

I was looking for a while, I wanted a car with Isofix in the front, Sport Trim, two rear seats (not bench), no boot box / no spare wheel, CD head unit and anything else is a bonus. So I would give some thought as to what spec you want as this does also narrow the search down considerably.

Hi I was in the same position 6 months ago, tried both diesels and the FSI but not the 1.4 petrol. Liked the FSI the best, FSI gives more 10% power, 10% more torque (more torque than a 1.2 TDI in fact) and more economy than the equivalent 1.6 petrol so is quite a bit better in those respects than the 1.4, but I guess the 1.4 is cheaper. People are a bit sniffy about them as they are a bit of an unknown quantity - sound like a tractor on start up, step change in engine characteristics at 4000rpm, funny coil pack things, but they are a good compromise between TDI fuel economy and normal car performance. Still not fast but quick enough.

own a 1.4 and have to disagree with shao, I think its a great nippy little motor. Coming from a 1.3 Ford KA, it feels in a different league. Ok its not super fast like my TVR but its fast enough to put a smile on my face! Try one you might be suprised.

cheers guys.

cheers guys,
thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Its good to have a few opinions to go by.
Maybe the 1.6 fsi is for me then. inevitably i will probably get frustrated with the 1.4 engine coming from a peugeot 206 1.6 glx (110 bhp) which is also very nippy for what it is!
But i will definately go for a few test drives thats for sure:D
i'll keep you posted on my going's on.

cheers
a.2

ULP said:
Welcome also Blaine - I see you are in Shefford; I live in Arlesey ;)

We have had a meet for this part of the world (The Crown, Henlow) and I'm planning to organise another now the evenings are returning

Hi there ULP,

I see you are just down the road to me, I would be interested in a meet now that summer is on the horizon.

I work in shefford to, so im always around.

Hope you got the chocolate surprise off ULP ok, nasty

I see you are a golfer to, bring it on baby..lol

Kind regards

blaine:D

Last edited:
Back