Subwoofer wiring help

SirTrevor

Hi, just got an A3 subwoofer off ebay and have come to a dead end.
Basically I have a red 10 pin connector to the sub+amp and have no idea which wire is which!
The inputs are as follows;
Top 4 pins black black red red
Middle 2 pins blue brown
Bottom 4 pins green green yellow yellow

I know I need Ground, 12V, left + left -, right + right - and switch to tell the amp to power up.

Does anyone know which colour wires are which?
Thanks in advance

Hi.Please show pictures.
Is it a Bose Sub? You can use this only with Bose Amps, not directly on the radio. The impedance is to low for radios.

Thanks for the reply.
No, it is not a Bose sub but a standard A3 subwoofer with one speaker that is meant to go in the left hand corner of the boot over the wheel arch. On an A3 it is meant to connect to the wiring already there I think.
I have attached photos
1. In its A3 plastic case
2. The amp and speaker
3. The red 10 pin connector
4. The amp
Many thanks
ST

Last edited:
ok, i will find out about the connector.
To which radio you want to use it with? Concert 2?
This sub is actuve. so it has a little amp.

Well, had a look at the wiring manuals for you - can't see the exact colours you mention, but here are 2 screen shots of the relevant bit:

R44 is the speaker with amp by the way. The 'B' numbers in circles refer to the CAN high and CAN low busses.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
Sorry for the bit of Screen Grab Pro, intruding into the first image - seems to be a little characteristic of running the program under Windows Vista!

You get the idea though.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the help.
After scouring threads of the audi sport . net forums as well I think I have found my answer.
The non bose amp has a built in amp that powers the sub and rear speakers too.
The A3 wiring loom has the following pins
1. Perm 12v
2. Left rear + (out from amp to rear speakers)
3. Left rear - (out from amp to rear speakers)
4. ground
5. remote on
6. left pre out (so into amp from HU)
7. right pre out (so into amp from HU)
8. signal (into amp from HU?)
9. right rear + (out from amp to rear speaker)
10. right rear - (out from amp to rear speaker)

So I am hoping to run pre outs and remote from HU and 12V and ground from battery direct. Because the case is plastic and a strange shape for my A2 I will build a new box for it to go in the boot.
I'll let you know how I get on.
I picked this up for £30 (I'm on a tight budget i.e. married!) and I suppose I could run extra rear speakers from this amp if I wanted too but I have a rear amp under the drivers footwell.
Many thanks again
ST

Thanks for the help.
After scouring threads of the audi sport . net forums as well I think I have found my answer.
The non bose amp has a built in amp that powers the sub and rear speakers too.
The A3 wiring loom has the following pins
1. Perm 12v
2. Left rear + (out from amp to rear speakers)
3. Left rear - (out from amp to rear speakers)
4. ground
5. remote on
6. left pre out (so into amp from HU)
7. right pre out (so into amp from HU)
8. signal (into amp from HU?)
9. right rear + (out from amp to rear speaker)
10. right rear - (out from amp to rear speaker)

So I am hoping to run pre outs and remote from HU and 12V and ground from battery direct. Because the case is plastic and a strange shape for my A2 I will build a new box for it to go in the boot.
I'll let you know how I get on.
I picked this up for £30 (I'm on a tight budget i.e. married!) and I suppose I could run extra rear speakers from this amp if I wanted too but I have a rear amp under the drivers footwell.
Many thanks again
ST

I would buy the same SUB but I don't know hot to bring wire from my Concert II to the sub, is there a tunnel or something similar?
Did you realize the box?
I bought a couple of speaker Blaupunkt composed by two woofer and two speaker, are the speaker directly connected to the subwoofer?

Grazieeeeeee

If you want to run cables from the head unit to the boot you can and there are cable routes available - you'll need to remove the following trim pieces - it's not for the faint hearted though I'm afraid (having just done this on Sunday!):

panel under steering wheel
drivers side a pillar
drivers side door trim
driver's side rear passenger door trim
remove rear seat
rear tailgate lower trim panel

You can then feed wiring all the way from back to front (going behind the trim over the rear wheel arch which I didn't remove but simply fed wire through with my arms pulling the carpet away)

There's then a little bit of trunking behind the rear light cluster that feeds cables down into the boot well where the Bose sub would normally sit. With Bose cars, the foam toolkit is located under the footwell under the driver's pedal box.

If you want to run cables from the head unit to the boot you can and there are cable routes available - you'll need to remove the following trim pieces - it's not for the faint hearted though I'm afraid (having just done this on Sunday!):

panel under steering wheel
drivers side a pillar
drivers side door trim
driver's side rear passenger door trim
remove rear seat
rear tailgate lower trim panel

You can then feed wiring all the way from back to front (going behind the trim over the rear wheel arch which I didn't remove but simply fed wire through with my arms pulling the carpet away)

There's then a little bit of trunking behind the rear light cluster that feeds cables down into the boot well where the Bose sub would normally sit. With Bose cars, the foam toolkit is located under the footwell under the driver's pedal box.

Full and clear answer!
Thank you

I love this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have Blaupunkt front speaker with two tweeters directly connected to Concert II, are the tweeters connected to the speakers or is there something more for tweeters?

Last edited:
Back