Glow plug light flashing

Hi all,

I have a 2003 tdi 75 and yesterday whilst driving the glow plug light started flashing. The car drives fine with no drop in performance. When ignition is turned on the light comes on as normal and goes off after a few seconds,and then approx. 1 min later the light starts flashing whether the car is started or not.I have checked the glow plugs with a multimeter and 1 of them appears to be open circuit.Has anyone had this problem before and will the fault clear with a replacement plug or will lt have to be cleared with vagcom.

Thanks in advance,Daz.

I've been searching the archives and found that blown bulbs can cause this.I did have to replace both brake light bulbs yesterday,the lights work fine now but the flashing light is still there. Audi dont have a glow plug in stock and also say thers none local in VW,Seat,etc.I have one on order ,should be in on Tuesday.

Hi DAZ
As you may know, the glow plug warning light flashes to indicate faults with any components which have self diagnostic capability. Although you may need a replacement glow plug its likely there are other problems. I'd recommend a VagCom diagnostic scan to identify any issues before changing parts.

Cheers Spike

Back