Webasto again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shezlee

quote:This must be your lucky day since all 1.4Tdi's are standard equipped with a webasto pre heater. The 1.2 Tdi's have electrical cabin heaters and the non Tdi's have nothing.
This is probably one of Audi's best kept secrets, they've certainy never told me.
The standard heater activates when the outside temp is below 5 or 6 degrees celsius and helps the engine to heat the coolfluid. There is no way to manually activate the standard heater. And when the CC is in ECON mode, it never starts since you want to be economically (and cold).
It is however quite simple to connect some relais, some pumps and a timer to the already builtin heater and then you have a timer (or remote) operated preheater.
This is something that you shouldn't attempt to do yourself unless you really know what you are doing, it took the webasto fitter three days to fit it into my A2.

Hope this answers your question !

Dennis de Held

Dennis,

I am intrested in getting the unit upgraded to a remote start but you said it took 3 days to fit[:0], I have been in contact with Webasto UK and have been informed it will only take 4 HOURS.
Can there realy be this much difference in time[?][?]
(If I going to lose the car for that long I will need to arrange a long weekend:D:))

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Dolphin Grey,
Original Audi 6 CD Changer (Fitted in proper location by me)

quote:Originally posted by shezlee
Dennis,

I am intrested in getting the unit upgraded to a remote start but you said it took 3 days to fit[:0], I have been in contact with Webasto UK and have been informed it will only take 4 HOURS.
Can there realy be this much difference in time[?][?]
(If I going to lose the car for that long I will need to arrange a long weekend:D:))

I turned my car in on a thursday and they told me it could be ready on fridayafternoon. Eventually it was finished on monday afternoon.
They told me that the radio and CC unit has to be removed, some extra pumps need to be installed and a powercable needs to be attached to the battery in the back.
I must say that it was the first time that this dealer did an A2.
I think that 4 hours is standard for a standard car. A standard car is easily accesible and has the battery in the front and doesn't have a heater factort fitted.

Since the A2 is small&complicated, has the battery in the back and the heater is factory fitted 4 hours is optimistic. I think...but then again I'm no expert either..

Ask them if they have already done an A2..

Good luck !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Thanks,

Below is a statement I received from Webasto UK.

I now have a document showing the Left Hand drive version upgrade of the
factory fitted Webasto unit. This should transpose over to RHD. The upgrade
kit cost is as explained before. However looking at the installation I think
we may need extra coolant hose and to make a coolant pump mounting bracket.
I should allow between £25-£50 extra material cost for this.
The installation would be an adaptation of the official Audi LHD install.
I would also allow a slightly longer install time of around half days labour instead of approximately 2-3 hours.
Our installer Vehvac would probably qoute around £360 UK + Vat supply & install.

end quote

Is this a compairable price?

As regards to them fitting it to an A2 they say they obtained the documents required from their colleagues in Germany (If this is true or not I have to take the word for it)

Thanks for you help

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Dolphin Grey,
Original Audi 6 CD Changer (Fitted in proper location by me)

I have no idea of the price since my a2 is company car, sorry.

The story makes sense, about the hose...

I wouldn't worry, the webasto dealer did a very nice job on my A2, not a single problem with it and not a scratch on the interior !

Good luck !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Just for Your information:

The Danish edition of the Audi A2 1.2 TDI does not have the electrical cabin heater as stated above..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back