Glovebox light

Rich.

A2OC Donor
Hi,

I was looking at the light shadow in the passenger footwell and noticed it was coming from the glovebox. The glovebox light stays on with the box closed with either sidelights or headlights on. I read in the book that it only should be on when the glovebox is opened and some lights are on. Does this happen to any other a2'ers.

Yeah, mine is on all the time when the lights are on.

There is some thread elsewhere about it being a common occurence and that it is easy to fix.

But it doesn't bother me so I am letting it go for the time being.

It's a while since I fixed mine but from memory there is a small plastic arm which wedges open a set of contacts when the lid is shut. On mine, the arm broke off in the wedged open position so the light never came on. In your case, the arm must have failed when the lid was open so the contacts are permanently closed.
Unfortunately this arm is part of the hinge moulding and not a service part. You either need to replace the whole glovebox - or Araldite the arm back in position as I did. This is not a difficult job but the glovebox needs to be removed for access and this involves taking off the side trim around the door opening

Cheers Spike

Back