servicing a 1.2 TDI

G

Gaff

I'll collect my 1.2 TDI in about a week. Can anyone enlighten me how different the 1.2 TDI is compared with the standard 1.4 TDI as far as servicing and parts go.

Erling and Lukas I could do with some of your knowledge of these cars!
Suppose I'm looking for reassurance that I won't need to make an annual trip to Italy, Spain or Germany for maintenance!

Will a regular VW dealer be able to get all the parts?
and do they mind servicing an imported vehicle?

Are the parts the same as the 1.4 TDI?
- what about the cambelt?
- oil/air/pollen/fuel filters?

Is DIY servicing possible for someone used to doing this on a VW 1.9 TDI?

cheers

GA

Hi Gaff
The attached article from the May 2000 European Automotive Design magazine explains many of the differences between the 1.2 and 1.4 TDi.
I'm sure our resident experts will confirm there is no problem with parts availability or servicing in the UK

Cheers Spike

Attachments

• A2049.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 9,877
Hi Gaff
The attached article from the May 2000 European Automotive Design magazine explains many of the differences between the 1.2 and 1.4 TDi.
I'm sure our resident experts will confirm there is no problem with parts availability or servicing in the UK

Cheers Spike

Thanks a lot Spike, a real treat reading that.

Enjoyable indeed!! I didn't realize how much aluminum was used in the production! I heard somewhere that even the exhaust was made of aluminum. It's perfect for these cold/salty roads we have in denmark.
I am really impressed with the car, it is very solid and comfortable and a true joy to drive!

UK A2 1.2 TDI Audi and VAG group dealer Servicing and Support

Any VAG dealer can cover this model........................but they'll generally struggle with the 'stranger' parts of the car outside of their general A2 work.

I had a real problem (time wise) with a front wheel bearing - it's unique to 1.2 TDI model. They got the parts......but not the tool to extract the old bearing, so it took two goes and a couple of weeks of loan cars - with a 2000 mile noisy holiday journey in between.

I know Lukas had some issues with dealer knowledge early on, but I guess like me he's found a broadly competent service centre and settled with them.

Car now at 61,500 miles and 400 miles to go for it's second service from new - its on the variable service scheme and was last in @ about 29k miles in Sept 2006.

I changed the front brakepads and discs a few weeks back - parts (again 1.2 TDI specific) were £125 from VAG.

Like my 1.4TDI, the variable service interval reflects 35 mile min journey lenghts, mostly in top gear on Motorways or A roads.

Usual 'stealer service and costs, so it pays to shop around.

Ciao,

Erling.

Back