Front Anti Roll Bar (ARB) DIY Replacement

vkx245l

A2OC Donor
With the MOT due I thought I'd better tackle the ARB bush issue.

Parts required
1 x 8Z0 411 305M Roll bar
2 x 6Q0 411 314L Bushes
2 x N 102 613 02 Nuts (Connect ARB to Droplinks)
4 x N 101 389 02 ARB bolts (hold bushes to the ARB)
4 x N 104 162 01 Bolts (Steering box to subframe)
4 x N 104 921 01 Subframe bolts

You might also consider the pendulum bolt. This is the tie bar which connects the engine to the subframe.

Support the car on its front jacking points and remove the wheels.

Remove nuts from droplinks
Remove ARB bolts. Lifting the driveshafts/wheel hubs enables you to get a socket on the bolts.
Remove the bolts holding the steering box the subframe.

The subframe bolts are next. Before removing them place a trolley jack underneath so that it can be lowered gently once the bolts are removed. Audi use locating pins to ensure that the subframe goes back in th same position. However some also require you to pay for an alignment check so whats the point. I actually found that having lowered the subframe you are left with 4 clean and shiny areas where the subframe attaches to the body. When replacing the subframe these act as locators - If you can see any clean metal once replaced then its not gone back in the same place!

The ARB was remove rearward by first turning it over the driveshatfs.

Replacement is reverse of removal.

Tightening torques

Anti-roll bar to suspension brackett Use new bolts. 20 Nm + 90°
Coupling rod to anti-roll bar 40 Nm
Steering box to subframet Use new bolts. 50 Nm + 90°
Subframe to bodyt Use new bolts. 70 Nm + 90°
Pendulum support to retaining platet Use new bolt. 50 Nm + 90°

You might want a mate to help with the subframe re-attachment to hold the subframe on the clean bits of metalwork while you tighten the bolts. I had to wedge myself underneath and use my shoulder!.
Test drive went fine and it passed the MOT yesterday.
I'm going to get the alignment checked once I'm near somewhere that is half competent - probably take it to Stealth. Having seen some of the poor stealer work close up now, it won't be going back to them. (While underneath spotted two broken hose brackets, a univeral joint boot spitting out grease and and small oil leak - funny how they didn't mention any of these, either at the last service or when they recently changed the NSF wheel bearing, but they did want to change discs & pads - again! - oh yeh there is nothing wrong with them I've had a look)

I used powerflex bushes instead of the standard ones. Although they don't list them for the A2 they are the same as the 02-05 Polo. Part number is PFF85-603-16.

I'll try and attach some pics.

Cheers

Jonathan

1st photo Old ARB cracked sleeve
2nd photo shows all the parts (please excuse the socks! not required but will keep feet warm))
3rd photo shows powerflex bushes compared to VAG parts
4th photo ARB detail comparison. Newer one on top

Update 11 Feb 2018 - pics found on old pc! - ahh how I miss those socks

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 908
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 939
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,068
Last edited:
Hi richard-

£74.46 including VAT & delivery from VAGparts.com

plus powerflex bushes @ £30.43 from http://www.polyurethanebushes.com

If you want a breakdown I'll dig out the invoice.

I was quoted £270 (supply & fit) at the Stealers so about a £200 saving!

Cheers

Jonathan

mine don't need doing, but it's a good post, many thanks

bba

Hi vkx245l,

I fully endorse the comments of bye_bye_alfa - well done on the job itself and the accomplished set of instructions.

Add the torque settings and these would probably be best served in the 'fitting guide' section?!

Ben, what are your thoughts?

Darren

Happy Birthday Darren.

I'll add the torque settings and try and attach the diagrams from ELSA

Cheers

Jonathan

Our Stealers quoted more than £400 to do this job - which is a bit more than your quote of £270. Amazing how this can vary....

Still too much for replacing a part with an inherant design fault of course...

If anyone's considering this job I've got a brand new anti roll bar going spare. I bought all the bits to do our clunking arb but it turned out to be the drop links that were shot, the arb had previously been changed for the new type.

I think it was about £60 from Audi. I'd take £30 from a fellow member. Plus postage.

cheers,

Steve

Well typical thought as the wife told me the noise we were kepping an ear out for had got worse, we did think it was the spare ally in the boot or maybe the tyres but alas no it is the dreaded anti roll bar bushes, typical as its up for sale!!.
After advice from various helpful members(you know who you are) I thought i could fix it with new bushes but upon much close inspection I can see that the bar is rather rusted on the NSF so its off to the garage to be change totally.
I got lots of quotes from various local garages and the VW dealership came out very good but after checking with the wife(as she drives the car daily) I phoned them back to book and they had just booked out their last slot for this friday and had nothing else until mid next week and I wasnt prepared to leave it until next week so I go and phone the Audi dealership and much to my surprise they give me a fairly good quote and they will do the business tomorrow and the girl said they hadnt got any curtesy cars left so she had a chat with sales who said I could use one of theirs!!,
So fingers crossed for tomorrow.
So anyone wanna buy an even better TDi 90 Sport!!??.

Well Ipswich Audi did the anti roll bar and all is fine and dandy.
He is ready to be sold so roll up roll up,:)

I found this place with a need for some advise on nocking from the fron end. The car has done 78K now and we have had it 3 years. I have just changed the front discs and pads and she now stops real well. Other then a few suspension springs that were fitted under warrenty. I now have a knocking from the front end. The role bar was changed by previous supplier. However there is quite a lot of play in the role bar supports behind the suspension. Is this the bushes again?

Hi armstjo1, welcome to the A2oc
Its possible the roll bar bushes have failed again but it may also be worn drop links - the rod which connects the roll bar to the suspension. Both jobs are fairly easy so if you can change discs and pads it should be no problem. See link for more info on the droplinks
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2551

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
I've just been quoted £400 by West London Audi to fix cracked front anti-roll bar. Ouch, I think my wallet just broke, too. But hold on a minute. I've been driving around with this and it feels fine. What should I do? Don't think I can DIY but should I get a few quotes from local garages?

If you venture a little north to Kingsbury, you'll find Russell Automotive Centre http://www.rac-london.co.uk/. I use them for my regular services and they do as good a job as other dealers. I have no relation to them, but I remember they gave me a club discount or some sort. I believe they will give you a far more reasonable quote.

If not, try google the guys called 4rings.co.uk. But I think they mostly operate in the East side of town.

I've just been quoted £400 by West London Audi to fix cracked front anti-roll bar. Ouch, I think my wallet just broke, too. But hold on a minute. I've been driving around with this and it feels fine. What should I do? Don't think I can DIY but should I get a few quotes from local garages?

Some of our members have removed the cracked plastic sleeves and fitted VW Polo bushes which are a tight fit on the bar when the sleeves are removed. Its not as good as having a new spec roll bar fitted but its very cheap. More info here - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11032&highlight=polo+bushes

Cheers Spike

Back