Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Glow Plugs

Liked 181 times in 116 posts

Replacing Glow Plugs

Following a few problems starting in cold weather (engine hesitates then judders before bursting into life) I checked the glow plugs and found one to be dead.
    I checked the part nos and only one is listed for my AMF engine code, 2001 TDi. Audi also checked the p/n and confirmed this to be N 105 792 01. When comparing it with the old glow plug, I found the new one to be approx 5mm longer. Luckily I have a spare cyl head and was able to check the protrusion of both plugs and the new one definitely did not look right. This is just my opinion but I wont be fitting the new glow plug until I've got some sensible answers from Audi. The Bosch parts book also specifies the longer glow plug but I guess they only get their data from Audi and would duplicate the error - if there is one?
    For info, the glow plugs are quite easy to remove with a 10mm 1/4" drive deep socket and are stamped with the Bosch part nos. For anyone needing to change glow plugs, my advice would be to remove one, check the number and order from a Bosch dealer.
    Sorry the pics of the glow plug protrusions are not too clear

Cheers Spike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0435.JPG 
Views:	462 
Size:	381.5 KB 
ID:	1133   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0436.JPG 
Views:	577 
Size:	426.3 KB 
ID:	1134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0439.JPG 
Views:	469 
Size:	438.3 KB 
ID:	1135  
    Last edited by spike; 28-12-2007 at 11:06 PM.

Liked 37 times in 25 posts
    Hi Spike,

There are actually 2 parts listed for the AMF engine in ETKA7 - the 01 as you have already said and the 02.

Both are the same price and the listings state "M10 X 1 X 27" for the 01 and "M10 X 1 X 30" for the 02. I'd suggest that the specs are M10 for the nut size, 1 for the thread pitch and 27/30 for the heater element length. Perhaps you have received an incorrectly labelled plug.

Perhaps it's worth trying the 02 (or vice versa) to see if there's a difference.

I can't halp further, as I have the ATL engine that takes completely different plugs!! (Go figure when the heads are the same!)

Cheers,

Mike
    Last edited by Skipton01; 28-12-2007 at 11:54 PM.
    WAS : TDI 75 SE 2001 (Little Tank)
    NOW : TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, Winter Pack, ISOfix, fogs, climate, full electric glass, RNS-E, IceLink, Audi BT phone & red leather! K&N filter, Pentagon Supaglass, black headlining, cruise & Audi PDC, GALA, S-style mirrors & TT road and steering wheels.(The NEW Tank).

Hi Mike
    That's a good point about the '02' part number. My car is fitted with Bosch glow plugs but Beru are listed as an alternative supplier with the different p/n, which to me inferred you don't mix the different parts in an engine. For anyone else needing to replace a glow plug then its sensible to remove one first and check if it's a Bosch or Beru part. I'm not aware if there are many Beru stockists so you may have to buy from Audi anyway but if it is a Bosch part, check the number stamped on the body and buy the replacement from a Bosch dealer. It will be identical but a lot cheaper than going to Audi.

Cheers Spike

Liked 37 times in 25 posts
    Just as an illustration, the Audi price for a single glow plug is 13.85, but GSF lists them at 6.58!

Cheers,

Mike
    WAS : TDI 75 SE 2001 (Little Tank)
    NOW : TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, Winter Pack, ISOfix, fogs, climate, full electric glass, RNS-E, IceLink, Audi BT phone & red leather! K&N filter, Pentagon Supaglass, black headlining, cruise & Audi PDC, GALA, S-style mirrors & TT road and steering wheels.(The NEW Tank).

Liked in one post
    Same problem on my TDi (75hp AMF)

Hi Spike, did you ever get to the bottom of which plug is required? (without taking them out!) Mine has the same shudder on starting from cold (esp. when it is below 4oC outside). The Audi dealer wants 1 hr labour to check the plugs, rip off! How do you know which one is faulty? Is there a test you can do? Or should I just change all three? Any advice or tips willingly taken!

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited by birdsd01; 01-02-2008 at 02:57 PM.
    2002 A2 TDi (75hp) SE in dolphin grey, Koni FSD's and Weitec 30/30 springs, Skipton cruise, heated mirrors, Audi mudflaps, custom sun blind kit, rear storage box, Audi roof bars, Pagid front discs and pads and the clutch pedal switch off Tank!
    Also in garage: 2009 Skoda Yeti 1.8TSI 4x4 SE in Corrida Red with Columbus Sat Nav, Alloy pedal set, Skoda Mud flaps, LED interior bulbs and rough road pack.

Liked 52 times in 32 posts
    I think the plugs on the 90tdi are different because they stay 'on' a little while after firing up to aid cold running emmissions etc for EUIV compliance.

Hi Dave
    I never found out if the long reach glowplug Audi sold me was right for the car or not. The next time I'm at the dealer I'll try and get the service guys interested as they have a reporting system for techmical queries - sad to say I think it would be a waste of time talking to Audi customer service about this.
    It's very easy to remove a glowplug to check the part number and if it's Bosch then buy the replacements from them rather than pay almost double from Audi.

Checking -
    Remove the bonnet and engine cover to access the glowplugs which are located in the cylinder head, facing you. Unclip the rubber caps from each plug - I found I needed pliers to pull the caps off. Use a multimeter to check continuity between the centre pin (where the cap fits) and the body of the plug. On my car, there was no reading on the one that had failed. Once removed, I found the tip of the failed glowplug was covered in sooty black carbon while the good ones were greyish / white.

Removal
    Clean out any dust and grit from the recesses in the cyl head where the glowplugs fit - I used compressed air but a small brush should also work.
    Use a deep 10mm socket to unscrew the glowplugs. If you don't have one, it may just be possible with a ring spanner. I was expecting at least one to be partially siezed but on my 2001 car they all unscrewed very easily. It helps if the engine is still warm when you do this.
    Make a note of the part nos stamped on the glowplug body. If they are Bosch, just go to a Bosch dealer and buy identical replacements - they cost around 7 each. (Audi charge around 13) There is no need to replace all of them but I did, just for peace of mind.
    If they are not Bosch parts but are stamped with an Audi part number, then order this from your Audi dealer. This way you will replace 'like for like' and not end up with an 'odd' length glowplug like I did initially.

Strangely, the engine still occasionally starts with a jolt even after replacing all the glowplugs. I even took them out again to check the the tips but they all looked like they were working correctly.

Cheers Spike
    Last edited by spike; 01-02-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Liked in one post
    Cheers for the advice Spike, when it eventually stops raining I will have a go!!

Dave
    2002 A2 TDi (75hp) SE in dolphin grey, Koni FSD's and Weitec 30/30 springs, Skipton cruise, heated mirrors, Audi mudflaps, custom sun blind kit, rear storage box, Audi roof bars, Pagid front discs and pads and the clutch pedal switch off Tank!
    Also in garage: 2009 Skoda Yeti 1.8TSI 4x4 SE in Corrida Red with Columbus Sat Nav, Alloy pedal set, Skoda Mud flaps, LED interior bulbs and rough road pack.

Liked 5 times in 5 posts
    http:/www.vwspares.co.uk sell Beru glow plugs if this helps anyone.

Although it does say: GN046 Glow Plug 6.98
    Replaces OE Ref:N10579201 N10579202

Not sure if/how this helps

Regards

Jonathan
    52 03MY Dolphin Grey 75 TDI SE, Satelite cloth, factory fit sat nav, winter pack, greenstuff & brembos.

Liked 39 times in 20 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipton01 View Post
    Just as an illustration, the Audi price for a single glow plug is 13.85, but GSF lists them at 6.58!

Cheers,

Mike
    Hi Mike. I seem to be having the same problem with my glow plugs. The judder when starting from cold is getting quite annoying now, and i just wondered if shopping at GSF is better than going to Audi for the price and by me doing it myself it doesn't upset the warranty i have on the car?
    SOJAH

AKOYA SILVER 54 Reg TDI 90 SPORT - Stealth Remap, K&N Filter, Bilstein B6 Dampers + Spidan 49515 Springs, Rear Cup holders, Rear Storage Box, Parrot Mki9200, Black Leather Interior, Skipton Cruise Control, DIS,
    Climate Control, Whiteline Rear Arb, Front Foglights, Heated Mirrors, Brembo Discs & Pads, 17'' 9 Spoke Alloys, 17'' Audi TT Speedline 2005 Alloys, A2OC Badges, Floppy Wiper. MORE TO COME..... ALMOST FINISHED.....