Replacing Glow Plugs

spike

Following a few problems starting in cold weather (engine hesitates then judders before bursting into life) I checked the glow plugs and found one to be dead.
I checked the part nos and only one is listed for my AMF engine code, 2001 TDi. Audi also checked the p/n and confirmed this to be N 105 792 01. When comparing it with the old glow plug, I found the new one to be approx 5mm longer. Luckily I have a spare cyl head and was able to check the protrusion of both plugs and the new one definitely did not look right. This is just my opinion but I wont be fitting the new glow plug until I've got some sensible answers from Audi. The Bosch parts book also specifies the longer glow plug but I guess they only get their data from Audi and would duplicate the error - if there is one?
For info, the glow plugs are quite easy to remove with a 10mm 1/4" drive deep socket and are stamped with the Bosch part nos. For anyone needing to change glow plugs, my advice would be to remove one, check the number and order from a Bosch dealer.
Sorry the pics of the glow plug protrusions are not too clear

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Hi Spike,

There are actually 2 parts listed for the AMF engine in ETKA7 - the 01 as you have already said and the 02.

Both are the same price and the listings state "M10 X 1 X 27" for the 01 and "M10 X 1 X 30" for the 02. I'd suggest that the specs are M10 for the nut size, 1 for the thread pitch and 27/30 for the heater element length. Perhaps you have received an incorrectly labelled plug.

Perhaps it's worth trying the 02 (or vice versa) to see if there's a difference.

I can't halp further, as I have the ATL engine that takes completely different plugs!! (Go figure when the heads are the same!)

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike
That's a good point about the '02' part number. My car is fitted with Bosch glow plugs but Beru are listed as an alternative supplier with the different p/n, which to me inferred you don't mix the different parts in an engine. For anyone else needing to replace a glow plug then its sensible to remove one first and check if it's a Bosch or Beru part. I'm not aware if there are many Beru stockists so you may have to buy from Audi anyway but if it is a Bosch part, check the number stamped on the body and buy the replacement from a Bosch dealer. It will be identical but a lot cheaper than going to Audi.

Cheers Spike

Just as an illustration, the Audi price for a single glow plug is £13.85, but GSF lists them at £6.58!

Cheers,

Mike

Same problem on my TDi (75hp AMF)

Hi Spike, did you ever get to the bottom of which plug is required? (without taking them out!) Mine has the same shudder on starting from cold (esp. when it is below 4oC outside). The Audi dealer wants 1 hr labour to check the plugs, rip off! How do you know which one is faulty? Is there a test you can do? Or should I just change all three? Any advice or tips willingly taken!

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:
I think the plugs on the 90tdi are different because they stay 'on' a little while after firing up to aid cold running emmissions etc for EUIV compliance.

Hi Dave
I never found out if the long reach glowplug Audi sold me was right for the car or not. The next time I'm at the dealer I'll try and get the service guys interested as they have a reporting system for techmical queries - sad to say I think it would be a waste of time talking to Audi customer service about this.
It's very easy to remove a glowplug to check the part number and if it's Bosch then buy the replacements from them rather than pay almost double from Audi.

Checking -
Remove the bonnet and engine cover to access the glowplugs which are located in the cylinder head, facing you. Unclip the rubber caps from each plug - I found I needed pliers to pull the caps off. Use a multimeter to check continuity between the centre pin (where the cap fits) and the body of the plug. On my car, there was no reading on the one that had failed. Once removed, I found the tip of the failed glowplug was covered in sooty black carbon while the good ones were greyish / white.

Removal
Clean out any dust and grit from the recesses in the cyl head where the glowplugs fit - I used compressed air but a small brush should also work.
Use a deep 10mm socket to unscrew the glowplugs. If you don't have one, it may just be possible with a ring spanner. I was expecting at least one to be partially siezed but on my 2001 car they all unscrewed very easily. It helps if the engine is still warm when you do this.
Make a note of the part nos stamped on the glowplug body. If they are Bosch, just go to a Bosch dealer and buy identical replacements - they cost around £7 each. (Audi charge around £13) There is no need to replace all of them but I did, just for peace of mind.
If they are not Bosch parts but are stamped with an Audi part number, then order this from your Audi dealer. This way you will replace 'like for like' and not end up with an 'odd' length glowplug like I did initially.

Strangely, the engine still occasionally starts with a jolt even after replacing all the glowplugs. I even took them out again to check the the tips but they all looked like they were working correctly.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
http:/www.vwspares.co.uk sell Beru glow plugs if this helps anyone.

Although it does say: GN046 Glow Plug £6.98
Replaces OE Ref:N10579201 N10579202

Not sure if/how this helps

Regards

Jonathan

Just as an illustration, the Audi price for a single glow plug is £13.85, but GSF lists them at £6.58!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike. I seem to be having the same problem with my glow plugs. The judder when starting from cold is getting quite annoying now, and i just wondered if shopping at GSF is better than going to Audi for the price and by me doing it myself it doesn't upset the warranty i have on the car?

Without knowing the details of your warranty, I can't say really. If in doubt, get them from Audi and ask for a discount. Also, if possible, take one out when you get there to compare - as Spike has noted, there are some length issues.

Cheers,

Mike

I also had this problem when replacing my glow plugs. i bought original audi plugs and took a plug out to change it and noticed that it was longer..double checked and triple checked with audi and they said that they had definetely supplied me with the right plugs. I had huge reservations about fitting these.. what i did was fit one, jacked car up and placed car in 5th gear and manually turned a roadwheel to see if it met any resistence(piston hitting plug) but all was good and went ahead with the others repeating wheel turning after every plug.. not sure why the newer plugs were longer, it is possible that the previous plugs that were fitted were incorrect..

Hi tbm1397
Ref my first post on this thread, I also had the same concerns about the replacement glowplug being longer and in the end, sourced some original lenght plugs from Bosch.
The short glowplugs were correct fitment in 2001 but I now believe Audi subsequently fitted longer glowplugs to improve cold starting as the glowing tips are less shrouded by the cyl head and will provide a greater surface area to aid combustion.

Cheers Spike

When i replaced my glow plugs last winter for the part number as described in the bosch catalogue they too were longer than the ones i removed (lucas).

I too checked and double checked after reading the posts on here and everything pointed towards them being the correct part number. Quite unnerving but they have caused me no issues.

Thnaks for the feedback guys, i think i'm going to take one out at the weekend and go to my stealer and get the correct one's. Seems like an hours job so im going to do it myself, thanks again. :)

Hi guy's. I phoned my audi dealer this afternoon and they said the glow plugs are £16.97 each which will be bosch (he thinks), do i need to get an oil and filter change also. The diesel oil that has been used to top up the engine is shell helix ultra extra 5w-30, but it has had a long life service done in september. If i do need a change now how much of this will i need ?

Hi guys,I'm after some advice,reading through the posts on here..we've done a part service on our car still need to change heater plugs and fuel filter,this morning now on start up there is a huge amount of smoke and car is very juddery,could anyone give me any advice please x

Hi guys,I'm after some advice,reading through the posts on here..we've done a part service on our car still need to change heater plugs and fuel filter,this morning now on start up there is a huge amount of smoke and car is very juddery,could anyone give me any advice please x

Hello,

You should post your question in a new thread as it doesn't seem to relate to the original post.

When you post your question you should provide full details, such as exactly what parts you have replaced so far, what the car was doing before your work, what it's doing now, etc.

Cheers
Jeff

Back